Prior Authorization Pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edwardmatt83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience being a prior authorization pharmacist? I am trying to decide on a job opportunity that is for approving/denying PAs for a medicare organization. I would be switching from retail into a desk job - 8-4:30 Mon-Fri. Hoping someone could shed some light on what the job was like. I am a little worried about switching from 4 10 hour shifts to a 5-day a week job. Benefits are much better (saves $350/month and my deductible is $3k less and the salary is the same. I would have a commute that is 45 minutes each way instead of 15. We are a 1 car family - I was riding my bike to work previously, so we'd have to get another car.

Members don't see this ad.

The new job is for a PA pharmacist. That's what I am worried about...will I hate it? I currently work alone, and that gets pretty boring too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you be working for an insurance company or a pharmacy?

My primary function is to chase PAs and such within a large LTC/ALF pharmacy. So, needless to say, I see people in your prospective position as the enemy. :) We will probobly talk at some point in time.

That being said, I went from retail to a desk job and I like it a lot better. Much less stressful. There is a trade-off because I do find myself being bored at work.

It all depends on how much personal fulfilment you expect to derive from your job. Personally, I see my job as a job. Period. When I'm there, I do it 100%. But I leave it at work, and I seek personal fulfilment elsewhere (Family, friends, hobbies, etc.).

Reactions: 1 user
I did an APPE where there was some of this involved. Depending on what you're doing, it could probably get boring and monotonous. Nexium? Have they had generic omeprazole? Did they try another generic PPI? etc, but some of it was fairly involved too, reviewing 6 minute walk test times, %BMI changes, some stuff for specialty meds, so that was interesting. None of the pharmacists did that 100% of the time though, only a few days out of the week.

Will this position have the potential to become involved in other aspects of the business or will you be stuck doing PAs 40hrs/week forever? You need some variety especially when it is a desk job.

The sad thing is that I'd probably be incredibly good at a job like this. I'd give people what for. Dare call me and demand brand whatever it is. No. You pay cash if you want it. *click*

Reactions: 1 users
This would be my primary role. They are adding another pharmacist so we can branch out and do other things - figuring out who is on 2 statins or 2 ACE inhibitors, etc. And then contacting providers and trying to make therapy changes. So I would be handling PAs and then helping with other projects.

I am really interested in a PA Pharmacist position, and have been researching it for a while now. The sad thin is that I got declined for such positions straight out of school. They are looking for a lot of experience. I applied to catamaran, and Cigna.
Anyone else has any feedback about these positions? Job security, benefits, relocation, schedule, how to interview for these etc...

I started as a Prior Authorization Pharmacist after transitioning from a clinical hospital position. I really enjoyed it and it was much less stress. I also had the opportunity to work from home. I was also able to expand on my managed care knowledge and was promoted to be a Corporate Pharmacist for 2 health plans. I recently switched jobs and was promoted again to a Formulary Pharmacist, which I build formularies from the ground up and create the prior authorization guidelines. So much less stress, work from home, and I get to travel.

What company did you begin with? What are some of the companies other then Catamaran who are hiring PA Pharmacists?

I started as a Prior Authorization Pharmacist after transitioning from a clinical hospital position. I really enjoyed it and it was much less stress. I also had the opportunity to work from home. I was also able to expand on my managed care knowledge and was promoted to be a Corporate Pharmacist for 2 health plans. I recently switched jobs and was promoted again to a Formulary Pharmacist, which I build formularies from the ground up and create the prior authorization guidelines. So much less stress, work from home, and I get to travel.

Hi.
I am interested in PA Pharmacist. Can you let me know anyone hiring for PA?