Prior service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bustedgrill

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a question for anyone with with any knowledge of the app cycle for someone with prior service in the armed forces.

1) when I apply to D school do I need send in a copy of my DD214s? (I was woking with another recruiter to get back in and I was cleared but I decided I wanted to go to school instead.) He had them a couple years ago and he told me he sent them but never got them back.

2) will a general seperation discharge be frowned upon?

Thanks

P.S willmy prior service come up on a background check? I WAS NEVER IN ANY TROUBLE but it is a LONG story. If it does not show up on a background check should I not even mention it? Even if it doesn't I still feel like I should mention that I was in but how should I explain all the details?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Answer to Q #1: No, you do not need your DD214

Answer to Q #2: This is a bit difficult. It is great to say it was an honorable discharge but if it wasn't, don't say it was. Was it an admin discharge? Was it upgraded to something else after you were discharged? Medical? Failure to adapt?

My general advice is to say you served in the military because adcoms love that, it will make you stand out which is half the battle. However, the finer details of your discharge might come up, especially if you are interviewed by ex-military, so if they don't paint a pretty picture than don't focus on the military in your personal statement or secondaries.

I can't answer any better without knowing the reason you were discharged.

Have you looked into the possibility of upgrading your discharge to honorable? I know alot of people who had that option after 6 months of EOS.