Prisms and refraction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XOT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My question is about how light with decreased wavelength (violet) is said to "refract more" than light with increased wavelength (red). The way I understand it, is that decreased wavelength leads to increased n (index of refraction),which in turn leads to decreased angle of refraction. So how is a decreased angle of refraction (less bend from the normal surface) equal to "more refraction" inside the prism?

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

My question is about how light with decreased wavelength (violet) is said to "refract more" than light with increased wavelength (red). The way I understand it, is that decreased wavelength leads to increased n (index of refraction),which in turn leads to decreased angle of refraction. So how is a decreased angle of refraction (less bend from the normal surface) equal to "more refraction" inside the prism?

Thanks for your help.

I think the incorrect part is in bold. Plus, my understanding is that n is a constant for a particular material.