Privacy Concerns: How much privacy in hospital showers? hoping to get an idea of what most are like

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a student who for good reasons (without going into personal details) does not like to be seen nude. How much privacy do most hospital showers for employees, like surgery staff, allow? I tried figuring this out with a google search but found no results for hospital shower facilities. I'm hoping for as many responses as possible to get an idea of what most hospitals are like, one big room with showers and no dividers, or individual stalls, or something else?

Members don't see this ad.

It's just like middle school. Rows of shower heads and naked dudes just singing and scrubbing away. You can wear your underwear...but you know how that goes....wedgie time!

Reactions: 4 users
Ok seriously though. This fear is unfounded. I just work an 18 hour shift at most, get funky, towel off with hot water and soap and a cloth and brush my teeth if I feel I need a fresh feeling and shower at home.

I'll leave it to my surgery colleagues to inform you whether or not there are secret shower hangouts with all sorts of silliness going on. Most call rooms that I've seen have private showers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You'll end up sometimes changing in front of people in med school/ residency but showering is usually pretty optional. By mid intern year you'll have seen so many disrobed people and be so tired you won't really care though.

Reactions: 1 users
At our facility specifically in the surgical locker rooms where I work, we have private showers, but almost no one uses them to be honest

Reactions: 1 user
At our facility specifically in the surgical locker rooms where I work, we have private showers, but almost no one uses them to be honest

you just ruined my pansexual hedonistic fantasy. I figured there had to be an upside to surgery....and I just didn't know about it.

Since I am trans, I am hoping that there is some privacy!

I have a student who for good reasons (without going into personal details) does not like to be seen nude. How much privacy do most hospital showers for employees, like surgery staff, allow? I tried figuring this out with a google search but found no results for hospital shower facilities. I'm hoping for as many responses as possible to get an idea of what most hospitals are like, one big room with showers and no dividers, or individual stalls, or something else?
At my hospital, there's two different situations.

In the OR locker rooms, there's one or two shower stalls with a curtain in the bathroom area (distinct from the locker room, but it isn't completely private past the shower curtains).

Near the call rooms on each floor there is a single bathroom with a shower in it. These would be 100% private.

I also know of no one who has used the showers.