private healthcare in china

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clarifiante

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've been practicing in singapore for a few years in the public sector and was recently contacted and offered to join a upcoming private hospital in china. it sounds like an interesting opportunity. language isn't an issue for me as mandarin is my mother tongue.

but i am worried about the longevity of this venture.

the news has been looking promising as well with the chinese government declaring their interest in seeing the private sector grow - an area it has historically tried to impede. but that is at the very least still a few years in the making. right now as it stands, the private sector in china is still relatively small and from what i understand an overwhelming number of patients still prefer the public sector over the private. this is caused by: perspective that the private sector is only about profit-making, the lack of coverage under the government's insurance scheme, an under-developed private insurance market with extremely high premiums, and so on.

obviously, the main market would be expats and high-income individuals but i'm skeptical as to how long my practice can sustain in such an environment.

are there are other things i should be worried about? would appreciate any information from others who are or have been in china to practice

Members don't see this ad.

Can't say for sure but i think its a risk worth taking. The field is growing and China is a massive underdeveloped market. Unless your primary goal is academic medicine you should strongly consider China.