Private IP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monza

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any insights into Job prospects for IP, both academics and private.

I'm also wandering about what the workstyle/lifestyle of private IP docs is like (with examples if possible); i.e. practice structure, hours, work mix (procedures vs clinic vs gen pulm consults vs icu).

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

How do you imagine private IP will work? You walk into a city and all of the sudden either every other Pulmonologist will defer to your expertise and send you every case they have? As you're not going to go to a city that doesn't have other pulmonologists as the volume is unlikely to be there to justify much Stand alone IP. Not only othe pulm but you'd have to walk into and be able to smooze the thoracic guys we your be cutting into their model.

I'm in practice in a fairly large city and I'm pretty busy on the pulm side of things, and I can count on 1 hand how many procedures Id need to send out, stents aren't that common, laser/cryo procedures aren't that common, I could have done a few brachy caths but I don't need an extra year of training to do that. Many recent grads are trained on nav bronch tech so doing fudicials isn't that hard. Nav bronch's are cool but SuperD is trying to push their equipments ability beyond what is reasonable (really, you want me to go after 8mm pleural based nodules?) valves and glue aren't ready for prime time.

I may be pessimistic, but despite what the IP academics want us to believe the specialty is not ready for prime time nor do I see it working outside of large metropolitan academic centers. They can keep pushing the boundaries of what is feasible in those centers and slowly spread the training to newer generation.

I agree. No special jobs for "IP".

It'll just be "one more thing" that you'll do outside of curing disease and saving lives in the unit and see dyspnea in the clinic.

I know I'd probably defer a lot of my "IP" cases to an IP guy, mostly because I don't like long bronchs and don't care much to do them. I'd rather be seeing pateints in clinic.

From Chest.

Which one of these is different from the rest:
A. An interventional cardiologist
B. An interventional radiologist
C. An interventional Pulmonologist
D. A large pepperoni pizza

C. The rest can feed a family of 4.

Reactions: 3 users