Private MA schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

About28

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do the private schools in MA show any sort of in state love at all (I'm obviously from MA)? I think I'm a reasonable applicant at BU and Tufts (3.65 cGPA/ 34 MCAT) but they just get so many applications. Do in state applicants have any sort of advantage? Is it just a minimal/ nonexistent advantage?

Members don't see this ad.

Do the private schools in MA show any sort of in state love at all (I'm obviously from MA)? I think I'm a reasonable applicant at BU and Tufts (3.65 cGPA/ 34 MCAT) but they just get so many applications. Do in state applicants have any sort of advantage? Is it just a minimal/ nonexistent advantage?
I don't think so and their IS/OOS interview numbers are proportionally close. Don't forget you already have an IS advantage in Umass, where basically only IS people can get in, along with a negligible $8k tuition

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think so and their IS/OOS interview numbers are proportionally close. Don't forget you already have an IS advantage in Umass, where basically only IS people can get in, along with a negligible $8k tuition

Well unfortunately it looks like I'm an unbearably average applicant stats-wise at UMass haha. Their average MCAT is a 33 and their GPA is a 3.8 I believe.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well unfortunately it looks like I'm an unbearably average applicant stats-wise at UMass haha. Their average MCAT is a 33 and their GPA is a 3.8 I believe.

Numbers aren't everything. I have a 3.5/35 and got into UMass. I did get rejected from Tufts and BU, though. BU doesn't show a preference, and on top of that they get well over 10k applications each year. Tufts sort of appears to show a preference. IIRC, 40-50% of the class is in-state, and they also have the Maine track. It seems they prefer people interested in staying in New England, but I'm not really sure on that, seeing as I got rejected.

Numbers aren't everything. I have a 3.5/35 and got into UMass. I did get rejected from Tufts and BU, though. BU doesn't show a preference, and on top of that they get well over 10k applications each year. Tufts sort of appears to show a preference. IIRC, 40-50% of the class is in-state, and they also have the Maine track. It seems they prefer people interested in staying in New England, but I'm not really sure on that, seeing as I got rejected.

Hm I guess there is some UMass hope for me then haha. My only reservation is that I applied there this cycle (in November, I know, super late) and got rejected. Do you happen to know any schools that show a strong New England preference?

You're asking if 75% of the medical schools in MA have in state favoritisim?

The answer to that question is a solid nope.

Reactions: 1 user
Hm I guess there is some UMass hope for me then haha. My only reservation is that I applied there this cycle (in November, I know, super late) and got rejected. Do you happen to know any schools that show a strong New England preference?

UNE in Biddeford, ME.

Reactions: 1 user
First off, I got rejected no interview from all MA schools (4.0/37). Harvard - no surprise. UMass - seems to have a preference for people who will do primary care in western mass. BU - crapshoot. tufts - from what I heard really want lots of service background.

I also heard from people who got HMS interviews but got rejected pre Interview from UMass.

With you (avg) stats, barring some well above average ECs, I wouldn't bank of MA schools

First off, I got rejected no interview from all MA schools (4.0/37). Harvard - no surprise. UMass - seems to have a preference for people who will do primary care in western mass. BU - crapshoot. tufts - from what I heard really want lots of service background.

I also heard from people who got HMS interviews but got rejected pre Interview from UMass.

With you (avg) stats, barring some well above average ECs, I wouldn't bank of MA schools

It's so weird. If I look at the AAMC data I look like I'm in a great position. Meanwhile while I'm on here I look at best like an unbearably average applicant or even a sub par one. Crazy.

BU is one of those schools that is super self-conscious and really wants to hear about how much you love them before they even hint about returning the favor. Make sure you write a good secondary essay about why BU, and don't be afraid to send some letters of interests too.

BU is one of those schools that is super self-conscious and really wants to hear about how much you love them before they even hint about returning the favor. Make sure you write a good secondary essay about why BU, and don't be afraid to send some letters of interests too.

I guess talking about myself and how awesome I am is why I got rejected.
Yankees for life. Buck foston.

Fun fact: UNECOM rejected me.

Not doing this to fan flames but do DO schools look at applicants who are competitive for MD programs and then hedge their bets on whether or not they're using them as a safety?

It's so weird. If I look at the AAMC data I look like I'm in a great position. Meanwhile while I'm on here I look at best like an unbearably average applicant or even a sub par one. Crazy.

You're talking about a website that tends to attract people with gunner-ish tendencies (myself included). So, a 3.6/32 by SDN standards might be considered borderline. In reality, your numbers are fine. Hell, I remember someone telling me I was "vanilla" and "completely indistinguishable", and that I would have a hard time getting in.

I dunno about that. When asked what I saw myself doing in ten years (or however many it was) on the secondary, I said something along the lines of EM/CC in a community hospital in central or eastern MA, but wouldn't rule out doing something else including academia/research or practicing in a tertiary care center. Not once did I say that I would want to do primary care, nor have I ever expressed interest in practicing/living in western MA. I'm not a stellar candidate, I just think they're interested in candidates who demonstrate an interest in practicing in a community setting in MA. I don't think it necessarily has to be primary care, although I'm sure you get brownie points if mention it. Then there's whatever other intangibles they care about which is basically a mystery to everyone who applies there. And also the strong UMass alumni bias (which includes me). It probably won't make you feel better nor will it change anything, but I think you totally deserved an II at least.

Not doing this to fan flames but do DO schools look at applicants who are competitive for MD programs and then hedge their bets on whether or not they're using them as a safety?

This was sort of my suspicion since you have to list the schools you applied to on their secondary. But who really knows? I figured I had a good shot given my stats, ECs, and strong DO letter from an alumnus who I actually work with on a regular basis as a scribe. His response when I told him I was rejected was "Maybe I should start giving them money." It goes to show to that no one is a "shoe-in" and nothing is a guarantee.

You're talking about a website that tends to attract people with gunner-ish tendencies (myself included). So, a 3.6/32 by SDN standards might be considered borderline. In reality, your numbers are fine. Hell, I remember someone telling me I was "vanilla" and "completely indistinguishable", and that I would have a hard time getting in.

SDN: Amazing for information, terrible for self esteem.
On a more serious note, I love UVM, you guys think they show any sort of regional preference? I live like 3 or 4 hours away and have family in Burlington.

SDN: Amazing for information, terrible for self esteem.
On a more serious note, I love UVM, you guys think they show any sort of regional preference? I live like 3 or 4 hours away and have family in Burlington.

I don't think so. Lots of students from all over getting love at UVM, especially from CA. The only real preference they have is for VT residents, or people with ties to VT, but there aren't many people in VT to begin with, so a large proportion are just a collection of OOS students with little or no connection to the state. The first time I've ever been to VT was when I went on the interview. Otherwise all I knew about the state was Ben&Jerry's, Howard Dean, Super Troopers, and a near complete lack of gun laws.

Well many MD schools definitely do this (hold or ignore highly qualified applicants that they think will go elsewhere) so it's not a stretch to think DO schools do, too.