Private Practice Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSKalltheway

I got the magic stick
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I just had a few quick questions to elicit your opinions. Before starting fellowship, I'm going to take a crack at hanging a shingle and doing some outpatient PM&R in the 6 months after residency before I start injecting spines full time :) I'm not in this to make a lot of money, I know that I wont. Its more for the learning experience prior to starting fellowship. Also, I don't think my wife would love me sitting at home doing nothing for that period of time...

I was looking for good, honest, practical advice for a few of my concerns. I've already asked a few of my attendings with private practice experience these questions, but am looking to increase my n:

1) I was thinking about trying to see hospital consults in a trauma center nearby. Is there possibly a clean, or maybe reasonable way to start doing this, but be able to back out come fellowship?

1a) I've had the subacutes conversation with some others, sounds like fairly universally this wont work...?

2) Do you find it better to buy a used EMG and/or ultrasound machine to start with, or just eat it and do lease-to-own?

3) Other than locum tenens in addition to the above, is there anything else that might be worthwhile to consider for income/experience during that time?

Members don't see this ad.

None of this makes any financial sense.
Get a locum gig but do not spend a dime for "hanging a shingle".
You will not even get insurance credentialing done by the time you start fellowship.

what you "might" gain in private practice experience, you will lose out of your bank account. i dont see how you will make any money doing this

Members don't see this ad :)
What SSdoc33 and Steve said. Just be a locums.

Hey all! I just had a few quick questions to elicit your opinions. Before starting fellowship, I'm going to take a crack at hanging a shingle and doing some outpatient PM&R in the 6 months after residency before I start injecting spines full time :) I'm not in this to make a lot of money, I know that I wont. Its more for the learning experience prior to starting fellowship. Also, I don't think my wife would love me sitting at home doing nothing for that period of time...

I was looking for good, honest, practical advice for a few of my concerns. I've already asked a few of my attendings with private practice experience these questions, but am looking to increase my n:

1) I was thinking about trying to see hospital consults in a trauma center nearby. Is there possibly a clean, or maybe reasonable way to start doing this, but be able to back out come fellowship?

1a) I've had the subacutes conversation with some others, sounds like fairly universally this wont work...?

2) Do you find it better to buy a used EMG and/or ultrasound machine to start with, or just eat it and do lease-to-own?

3) Other than locum tenens in addition to the above, is there anything else that might be worthwhile to consider for income/experience during that time?

Honestly none of your scenarios are going to work except locums . You may be best off seeing if any of the large free standing hospitals have private practice pmr that need some weekend relief.

Consults are based on relationships. Relationships and trust from surgeons and internists and neurologists takes months if not years to build. Going into a place where you are going to hang a six month shingle is a giant red arrow saying "hey he's a nice guy but why bother when I have to find someone else in six months"

Not trying to be harsh but your options are kind of limited... Why not enjoy life for six months? Attending is a huge grind no matter what anyone tries to say.