Private Practice Resources?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chitowned

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am wondering if anyone out there, especially clinicians currently or previously in private practice, know of good resources (e.g., books) to use as a guide in entering private practice (either establishing one or entering a group practice).

There are thousands of books about private practice available, and while the ratings/reviews can be helpful, I figure it would be wise to ask on here as well. Any solid resources that describe in detail the many considerations and potential pitfalls would be greatly appreciated.

On a related note, how did any of you past or present private practice clinicians go about learning how to go about successfully entering this setting? I don't know about anyone else, but the multiple factors involved in this pursuit weren't exactly well covered during my training.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Pepping's book is sorta good for neuropsych
Mart's book is sorta good for forensics.

You're going to want to learn about: CPT codes, how to look up the fee schedule on your CMS carriers' website, what software for billing costs, how to fill out the billing forms, how to find an excellent CPA, cashflow, capital reserves, LLC formation, etc