Private Practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beansmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a first year student at Southern College of Optometry about to enter my second year. Time is flying by so fast and I need to begin thinking about what mode of practice I want to enter once I graduate from school. My school heavily pushes for private practice, and I am curious have any of you started a practice cold out of school, if so how did you go about doing it? If you worked for someone else first, or corporate what was the transition that you had to make. My last question is, are there any private practice or mentoring programs that help you begin a practice? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I hope you get some better answers on this forum, but you should see what resources your school has or student programs at conferences regarding this. There are practice consultants you can hire to help you begin, but you'll be forking over thousands of dollars for that information.

newgradoptometry.com has some free info to look at.

Build up a business plan, acquire a bank loan using said business plan or use your own capital, do what you legally have to do to be a place of business (licenses, incorporate, etc), and that's your start.

Great information! Thanks for the websites, I will check into those.

The best way is to acquire consultants to help you with all your needs. You need different ideas on how to operate in the marketplace.

Hope this helps