Private vs Public Optometry Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coachcr

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently decided to drop a perfectly good job as a high school counselor to pursue a career and optometry. Can anyone tell me which schools are public/private- or is there a link with that info?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure where there's a list of public vs. private, but in general, the schools with the lowest tuitions are the public institutions -- http://www.opted.org/info_profile2.cfm . Just curious, why are you asking?

Congrats on giving up a "perfectly good job" to pursue optometry! ;) There are a few of us on this board who did the same thing.

I'm just trying to get all of the info I can. Thanks so much for your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
A (really long... ;) ) FYI:

If the reason you're looking at public/private schools is cost -- some optometry schools have financial "contracts" with states that don't have their own school. For example, Maryland used to have a contract with PCO that brought the cost of tuition down from ~23k to ~15k for Maryland residents, the only stipulation being that you had to work one year in Maryland for each year that you received the grant. (The contract went away this year due to Maryland's state budget crisis). I'm not sure if there's a published list of these arrangements, so you'd have to call each school you're interested in directly and ask.

are there anything like that in California?

Dear Coacher,

Here is a (not necessarilyh inclusive ) list:

1. UC Berkeley
2. SUNY
3. Ohio State University
4. Indiana University
5. University of Houston
6. University of Alabama
7. Northeastern in Oklohoma
8. Nova Southeastern University
9. Ferris State

The privates ones are:
1. Pacific University
2. Southern College
3. Southern California
4. Illinois College
5. Pennsylvania College
6. New England

Regards,
Richard Hom, OD,FAAO

Originally posted by lazgirl24
are there anything like that in California?

there is no contract that I'm aware of for california since CA already has a state school (UCBSO). Therefore, there is no need for them to have in "in state" contract with another optometry school. Contracts are generally reserved for schools that do not have an optometry school located in them.

thanks, i was just wondering b/c i know that UCB is very hard to get into.

Just a small correction, Nova Southeastern University is a private school that accepts public money from the state. It reduces the price for Florida residents but not by a heck of a lot. ( I used to live 10 minutes away from the school)

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the input guys. I was inquiring for a couple of reasons actually. The first is cost. The second reason is that I'm the classic "student who played around during the first years of undergrad and is now paying the price". I carry a 2.8 GPA.

I have to take all pre-reqs and began that process this semester. I am even re-taking BIO I and II for a higher grade and use as a refresher. I have been in contact with many schools and understand that I will need to earn mostly "A's" on my pre-reqs. I already assumed as much. I have the confidence to do that.

I've heard that private schools are a little "easier" to get in, although I'm well aware that there are no official rankings. Please don't misunderstand, I am in no way looking for th easy way out. Simply put, if I sacrifice qaulity employment to pursue this dream, I want to be sure that I can get in and not be stranded.

I'm from VA and PCO is my first choice. How selective are they? Any suggestions?

Dear Coachcr,

I'm not from PCO but as in most schools, there are practice emphaisis or particular professors which might be in alignment with your eventual practice emphasis.

For instance, PCO is well known for their low vision rehabilitation, vision training and ocular disease programs.

UCBerkeley is well known for their vision science and research empahsis and strong contact lens backgrounds.

Some have joint degree programs which you may be interested in.

Regards,
Richard Hom, OD,FAAO
San Mateo, CA
Originally posted by Coachcr
I'm from VA and PCO is my first choice. How selective are they? Any suggestions?