PRN Seattle Hospital - Minimum Hours Guaranteed in Writing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

araytb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
tl;dr - Is it unheard of to ask a hospital to guarantee in writing the minimum number of hours I'll be working for a PRN job?

I'm trying to move to Seattle and there's a hospital I where I REALLY want to work. But the only job listing online is a PRN position. I don't mind working PRN for them since it'll at least get my foot in the door but I need some sort of assurance that money will be coming in the bank especially since I'd be moving from Texas. If they verbally say that they'll give me at least 30 hours a week, is it totally out of the question for me to request that in writing? I don't want to come off as too demanding.

My background is fairly decent. I've been working one of the highest rated hospitals in the world for nearly 3 years with specialty pharmacy satellite experience in ICU, OR, and chemo.

Members don't see this ad.

It would be a bit demanding because, by definition, a PRN position does NOT guarantee hours. By guaranteeing hours, it is now a part-time position with a chargeable # of FTE's for the department (which they may not have). Asking for hour fundamentally changes the position. Their verbal assurances for hours will have to be taken on a handshake.

No risk, no reward here...Seattle's a great place.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope you have a cheap housing plan because it's getting insane out there...especially if you have a PRN gig and maybe student loans still.

Members don't see this ad :)
PRN gigs won't let you average more than 30 hours per week. Why? Because of new mandates that require health insurance for employees that average over 30 hours per week.

I used to work PRN and get as many hours as I wanted. Had to change my classification because hospital only gives out less than 30 hours per week. Usually they only give you 24 hours or less. Only way to get guarantee of hours is to have a PT or FT job

It would be a bit demanding because, by definition, a PRN position does NOT guarantee hours. By guaranteeing hours, it is now a part-time position with a chargeable # of FTE's for the department (which they may not have). Asking for hour fundamentally changes the position. Their verbal assurances for hours will have to be taken on a handshake.

No risk, no reward here...Seattle's a great place.

Yeah, I suspected the handshake agreement was the most they could do too. :-/ Thanks for weighing in.

I hope you have a cheap housing plan because it's getting insane out there...especially if you have a PRN gig and maybe student loans still.

Oh I know! Plus coming from Texas, where it's still pretty cheap, these rent prices in Seattle are horrifying and they don't even include parking!

PRN gigs won't let you average more than 30 hours per week. Why? Because of new mandates that require health insurance for employees that average over 30 hours per week.

I used to work PRN and get as many hours as I wanted. Had to change my classification because hospital only gives out less than 30 hours per week. Usually they only give you 24 hours or less. Only way to get guarantee of hours is to have a PT or FT job

Wow, I didn't know about those mandates. What are your thoughts on having two PRN hospital jobs?

Wow, I didn't know about those mandates. What are your thoughts on having two PRN hospital jobs?

Multiple prn's are very common - both to new grads not able to obtain FT work, or to older pharmacists who want the flexibility to dial back. In both cases, the need for benefits and stability is less/non-existent.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I don't imagine there are many hospitals who will guaranty minimum set hours for PRN/Per-Diem positions. Especially in Seattle where it's quite saturated for hospital pharmacist positions.

The PRN position at our hospital (near Seattle) has a union-guarantee of *gasp* one weekend a month. There are days that sounds pretty good ;)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Why this specific job? Multiple hospitals not right in the city have FT jobs posted online at the moment. Why not go for something less iffy if you are relocating for it?

Tacoma General (Multicare) is hiring again. It is 30 minutes south of Seattle. Get you foot in the door at a hospital then try to get closer to the Seattle core if you feel the need. There is enough competition in Seattle that you shouldn't move there and hold your breath.

I got a full time job with 100% paid relocation! It's not inpatient but a nationally-acclaimed, (closed door?) clinic/infusion pharmacy with no patient contact! It's with the same health system as the hospital I originally wanted so if I don't like it, I figure it'd be easier to transfer back to inpatient. It sounds like it could be a bit more boring than inpatient. However, with my current hospital, the clinic/infusion pharmacy is largely considered the "promised land." So I'm pretty hopeful.

So for the RPHs who live in the Seattle area, would yall weigh in on my new post regarding fair salary (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...inic-infusion-salary-in-seattle-wa.1198301/)?

Why this specific job? Multiple hospitals not right in the city have FT jobs posted online at the moment. Why not go for something less iffy if you are relocating for it?

Tacoma General (Multicare) is hiring again. It is 30 minutes south of Seattle. Get you foot in the door at a hospital then try to get closer to the Seattle core if you feel the need. There is enough competition in Seattle that you shouldn't move there and hold your breath.

Cause I know I'm a complacent person and I hate change. So I'd likely stay a long time where ever I go next unless it got really really bad. Thanks for the advice and the inside scoop though.

Last edited: