Probable Re-applicant. Am I doing the right thing during this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

invisibleman023

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm a TX resident ORM with 3.4 cGPA 3.3 sGPA and 35 MCAT who went to a Top 10 UG and engineering major.

Usual ECs:

- 3 research publications
-Volunteering experience domestic and international
-Shadowing experience domestic and international
-Leadership in several clubs

I am currently applying this cycle and am about to start a post-bac/SMP program to show medical schools my continued upward trend (3.7 GPA senior year).

Am I taking the right steps for Reapplication? I just want to make sure before I spend $$ on this program.

Members don't see this ad.

When and where did you apply last year?

When and where did you apply last year?

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but this cycle is the first time I'm applying. Im just asking if in the likely case that I have to reapply next cycle, am I doing the right things this gap year to succeed next cycle? I just want to make sure before I spend $$ on this SMP program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if I wasn't clear, but this cycle is the first time I'm applying. Im just asking if in the likely case that I have to reapply next cycle, am I doing the right things this gap year to succeed next cycle? I just want to make sure before I spend $$ on this SMP program.
Where are you applying this cycle? You are definitely competitive enough to get a spot in a TX school.

Where are you applying this cycle? You are definitely competitive enough to get a spot in a TX school.

all texas schools + schools in my UG institution state + Tulane, Emory, VCU, Vtech, GW, Georgetown, NYMC, Albany, Jefferson, Drexel, Temple, Oakland, Quinnipiac.

But I have a feeling Tx instate will be my only real shot at MD. I have two concerns about it:
My TMDSAS sGPA (no +/-) is down to 3.1 and cGPA is still 3.4
While my LizzyM is technically a 69, it seems like Texas seems to favor most of that coming from GPA. For example, I feel like I would be in much much better shape had I gotten a 3.6 with a 33 than my 3.4 and 35. Unfortunately, my UG and major really damaged my GPA.

Well I think you have a reasonable shot year. If not, you are on the right track for next year. Good luck!

I think your best shot will be in TX, but skip UT SW and Baylor. Include TCOM. You're fine for any DO program, actually.

Your Plan B is sound. There are med schools that believe in reinvention.

Hey guys, so I'm a TX resident ORM with 3.4 cGPA 3.3 sGPA and 35 MCAT who went to a Top 10 UG and engineering major.

Usual ECs:

- 3 research publications
-Volunteering experience domestic and international
-Shadowing experience domestic and international
-Leadership in several clubs

I am currently applying this cycle and am about to start a post-bac/SMP program to show medical schools my continued upward trend (3.7 GPA senior year).

Am I taking the right steps for Reapplication? I just want to make sure before I spend $$ on this program.

I think your best shot will be in TX, but skip UT SW and Baylor. Include TCOM. You're fine for any DO program, actually.

Your Plan B is sound. There are med schools that believe in reinvention.
Now that Baylor is on probation, his chances just improved.

Reactions: 1 user
What was their problem again?
The LCME put them on probation a couple of months ago for failure to meet minimum educational standards. This is quite uncommon. Heads rolled. Their standing in the medical education community has been questioned.

I'm confident that there will be immediate action to remedy this but in the meantime, it's a blow to their dignity (if nothing else). There were 14 areas of concern. This puts them in the same boat as only 4 other schools:
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...g-body-places-Baylor-on-probation-5585791.php

Last edited by a moderator:
The LCME put them on probation a couple of weeks ago for failure to meet minimum educational standards. This is quite uncommon. Heads rolled. Their standing in the medical education community has been questioned.

I'm confident that there will be immediate action to remedy this but in the meantime, it's a blow to their dignity (if nothing else). There were 14 areas of concern. This puts them in the same boat as only 4 other schools:
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...g-body-places-Baylor-on-probation-5585791.php

I'm curious as to how this actually affects admissions? Do people who are admitted not go? Do less people apply? Or is the admissions office actually more lenient?

I'm curious as to how this actually affects admissions? Do people who are admitted not go? Do less people apply? Or is the admissions office actually more lenient?
The candidates that will be deciding between UTSW and Baylor are now more likely to go to UTSW.

Gawd, I love dish. Thanks, colleague!

The LCME put them on probation a couple of months ago for failure to meet minimum educational standards. This is quite uncommon. Heads rolled. Their standing in the medical education community has been questioned.

Okay, so updating this thread mid-year. I did relatively well in my first semester (3.85 GPA) at the SMP. I have 2 II's (one MD and one DO) for which I will find out the decisions in Feb. I am on hold and/or still eligible for interviews at 10-ish schools. I am sending updates to these places of course but don't have too much hope.

While there is some chance I will be accepted this cycle, I want to plan for my next gap year as I re-apply. Looking at my application, are there any recommendations? I feel like a scribe or some sort of healthcare-related job would be good since I already have research and volunteering pretty well covered but have limited work experience. My biggest issue in my app (GPA) will be addressed by the SMP after this year, so I'm wondering if there is anything else the admissions committees would like to see me do in my second gap year. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I think you will be admitted to at least one school, especially if you send an update regarding your first semester GPA in the SMP. A healthcare job never hurts, so I'd say go for it.