Probably just a joke, but does Drexel med school take it personally if you use them as a back up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoyKim456

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some made that joke...

Members don't see this ad.

Every school will take it personally if you tell them they are your backup. And you will swiftly be rejected.

If you don't tell them they're your backup, they'll never know.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lets be honest, unless you're born and raised in philly or have a SO that lives/works there, Drexel won't be your 1st choice.

Even them I'm sure most people would rather be at Penn or Jefferson.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck even getting an interview among the 15,000 other applicants. They'll be glad to take your $75 though.

Drexel will be a top choice for some students who really want to work in an urban, underserved environment, particularly with minority groups.

For the other 99% of students who apply there, it's a backup, and Drexel knows it...which is why so many get rejected.

Drexel will be a top choice for some students who really want to work in an urban, underserved environment, particularly with minority groups.

For the other 99% of students who apply there, it's a backup, and Drexel knows it...which is why so many get rejected.

Is Drexel known for this? Their campus is outside the main part of the city in a little more of a suburban environment and Hahnemann is in center city, which isn't really the most underserved area. I think Temple has a much stronger reputation for exposing its students to urban, underserved communities. Not to compare the schools, I just didn't think this was something that Drexel was really "about."

Reactions: 1 users
Would you want to date someone if they made it known that you were their backup (and you had thousands of other options)?

Is Drexel known for this? Their campus is outside the main part of the city in a little more of a suburban environment and Hahnemann is in center city, which isn't really the most underserved area. I think Temple has a much stronger reputation for exposing its students to urban, underserved communities. Not to compare the schools, I just didn't think this was something that Drexel was really "about."

Drexel really doesn't have a claim to fame when you're comparing it with the other four schools in Philly. Temple, which has similar stat ranges, is definitely the place to go for working with undeserved communities. Drexel knows they're a backup for a lot of people, but don't go advertising it to them at their interview. My faculty interviewer at Drexel straight up told me that I should go to Jefferson over Drexel if I got in.

Just tell them, they should know since you're wasting them time and resources for no good reason

Drexel really doesn't have a claim to fame when you're comparing it with the other four schools in Philly. Temple, which has similar stat ranges, is definitely the place to go for working with undeserved communities. Drexel knows they're a backup for a lot of people, but don't go advertising it to them at their interview. My faculty interviewer at Drexel straight up told me that I should go to Jefferson over Drexel if I got in.

Yea actually I think I was thinking of Temple, at which I briefly looked. After recognizing my conflation I realize that I know absolutely nothing about Drexel, so I withdraw my previous comment :p

Good luck even getting an interview among the 15,000 other applicants. They'll be glad to take your $75 though.
My Drexel interview was pretty awesome.

This is all from memory, but if I remember correctly it was a 30 minute interview. My interviewer was 15-20 minutes late. He comes in, apologizes, and shakes my hand without making eye contact. We walk into his office which was a ****ing disaster zone -- papers in a pile 6-12" high covering every square inch of his desk, I'm not even kidding -- and he asks me a few lameass questions. I think he was seeing my application for the first time because he knew nothing about me. He was terse, bordering on curt, and the interview was maybe 10 minutes long.

Result: rejected.

Oh, and they charge us to park in their parking lots on interview day. What the ****.

!!!
:wtf:

My faculty interviewer at Drexel straight up told me that I should go to Jefferson over Drexel if I got in.

This is nothing new for faculty members. I know a Dep't Chair whose office is like that. Heck, when I interviewed at NIH for a post-doc position, the PI I wanted to work for had his office like that! Plus it was the size of a closest.

We walk into his office which was a ******* disaster zone -- papers in a pile 6-12" high covering every square inch of his desk, I'm not even kidding