Procedural dermatology funding.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

path2k

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I cannot seem to find the answer to the following question: if an ACGME accredited procedural dermatology (or Dermpath) fellowship is accredited for three spots but only has funding for one spot by the institution, what other sources of funding are legal to fund the remaining two spots and not be in breach of CMS ACGME or other regulatory body.

Here's an example scenario: A participating clinical site in an ACGME program (let's say a busy dermatology group where the program director practices) decides to fund the spot because they desire an additional fellow. Can the group legally fund The spot and maintain its ACGME accreditation without involving the hospital's financial support? To clarify can the group sign some sort of affidavit saying that they are compensating the fellow fairly and be in compliance with ACGME regulations? Or does there have to be some sort of Financial arrangement with the sponsoring institution ie. The group gives the hospital GME Office the financial equivalent of funding one more spot and the hospital distributes the funds to the fellow and program.

Being involved in academic medicine I've always known in recent times that all ACGME accredited fellowships now require funding, what is the definition of "funding." The ACGME Bylaws are vague. Is it the program director and teaching staff that requires mandatory funding? Or does the fellow require certain amount in the form of a stipend which has to be equal with their level of postgraduate training across other programs in the hospital? So if an alternate for funding was arranged through the group would it have to be the same as the hospital stipend in the funded spot?

I'm not sure which resource to turn to find the answer to this question.

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting question, I'm not sure. I know a medicine resident who successfully found outside funding for an allergy fellowship when he didn't match. The funding came from a private practice that he signed a contract with to work at when he finished the fellowship. I assume something similar could be done for other fellowships.

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting question, I'm not sure. I know a medicine resident who successfully found outside funding for an allergy fellowship when he didn't match. The funding came from a private practice that he signed a contract with to work at when he finished the fellowship. I assume something similar could be done for other fellowships.
Wow! That's a lot of money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it though? What exactly does funding entail? Do the funds have to pay for the fellows salary (equal to the other house staff), and benefits? Or does it just have fund the DME and program directors stipends?

Is it though? What exactly does funding entail? Do the funds have to pay for the fellows salary (equal to the other house staff), and benefits? Or does it just have fund the DME and program directors stipends?

If this is something you are interested in doing, why not just call the program director and see if they are receptive?

Reactions: 1 users
Don't we just love the people who come in asking questions without courtesy to say thank you, contributing nothing other than questions, and disappearing?

Reactions: 1 user