Procedure clinic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is procedure clinic run at your residencies? How often does it occur? Do you do it as a month rotation?

Also what procedures are you guys learning at your procedure clinics?

I just had my first procedure clinic. At my program we have one half day a week for "procedure clinic". From what I understand there are usually 3-4 patients lined up and it almost always is just punch biopsies and excision biopsies. Not really too much more than that at our program. Though I feel like excision biopsies (especially if it is on the larger side) are likely the most complicated procedure you ll do as a clinic doc, just wondering what others are learning.

(We do trigger point injections on pts on occasion and during our ortho rotations we do knee and shoulder injections... but these are usually not done at procedure clinic).

Members don't see this ad.

How is procedure clinic run at your residencies? How often does it occur? Do you do it as a month rotation?

Also what procedures are you guys learning at your procedure clinics?

I just had my first procedure clinic. At my program we have one half day a week for "procedure clinic". From what I understand there are usually 3-4 patients lined up and it almost always is just punch biopsies and excision biopsies. Not really too much more than that at our program. Though I feel like excision biopsies (especially if it is on the larger side) are likely the most complicated procedure you ll do as a clinic doc, just wondering what others are learning.

(We do trigger point injections on pts on occasion and during our ortho rotations we do knee and shoulder injections... but these are usually not done at procedure clinic).
That's how ours was set up as well. Makes sense if you think about it - biopsies (and other non-cryo skin things) often take a decent bit of time. Even tricky MSK injections are usually pretty quick and so won't screw up your clinic schedule.

We also had a morning once/week when on OB or GYN for procedures there - colpo and IUDs mainly, some Implanon but not nearly as much.

Sounds similar to ours. Minor procedure clinic ends up with derm stuff beyond shaves and small punches (we try to keep those in our own clinic) nexplanon removals sometimes. We tend to do IUDS and nexplanon placements in our clinic.

It's a month long rotation for us. In addition to minors clinic we do vasectomy every Friday afternoon. We've started doing more acupuncture clinics then too (most of our faculty and residents are acupuncture trained) and occasional OMT for the handful of DOs.

we used to do colpos once a week but there was no volume so we cut it and only the women's health interested folks seek those out. We also used to do a half day of treadmill stress tests but those have gone away as none of our graduates had been using it after graduation.

Members don't see this ad :)
We did not have a procedure clinic. We learned procedures on different rotations or our FP proctor taught us in FP clinic when the need arose. Did a lot of procedures in ER.

Sounds similar to ours. Minor procedure clinic ends up with derm stuff beyond shaves and small punches (we try to keep those in our own clinic) nexplanon removals sometimes. We tend to do IUDS and nexplanon placements in our clinic.

It's a month long rotation for us. In addition to minors clinic we do vasectomy every Friday afternoon. We've started doing more acupuncture clinics then too (most of our faculty and residents are acupuncture trained) and occasional OMT for the handful of DOs.

we used to do colpos once a week but there was no volume so we cut it and only the women's health interested folks seek those out. We also used to do a half day of treadmill stress tests but those have gone away as none of our graduates had been using it after graduation.

So its a month long rotation for you guys? Is it everyday when you are on that rotation? For us its one 1/2 day a week and its for whatever 2nd or 3rd year is on the clinic rotation that month. I dont think you probably get more than 5 0r 6 half days before you graduate??

So its a month long rotation for you guys? Is it everyday when you are on that rotation? For us its one 1/2 day a week and its for whatever 2nd or 3rd year is on the clinic rotation that month. I dont think you probably get more than 5 0r 6 half days before you graduate??
There is typically 1-2 residents on the procedures block...a month of what I described above with some time in your FMR clinic. 1 month in pgy2 and again in pgy3. Occasionally someone is gone and you'll fill in for vasectomis or other minors on other blocks as well. The other stuff is done in our own fmr clinic and off service rotations (derm, gyn, ortho/sports, etc)

We did not have a procedure clinic. We learned procedures on different rotations or our FP proctor taught us in FP clinic when the need arose. Did a lot of procedures in ER.

Same here. We had the equipment in our office to do flexible sigmoidoscopy, flexible nasopharyngoscopy/laryngoscopy, vasectomy, colposcopy, joint injections, casting/splinting, and minor skin procedures. We could see our own patients for these and had a preceptor with us until we were signed off on the procedure. In order to get the volumes, however (which you really needed in order to gain competence and get signed off), you usually had to do a rotation somewhere.