procedure levels?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omgwtfbbq?

yes, really, I'm a girl
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year trying to pick a specialty. I LOVE procedures, and also love the clinic. I've been told that family med docs can do a lot of procedures, but my experience with every family doc i've ever been to or worked with has been that they refer their patients out to derm, urology, gastro, etc.

So the question is.... what is your experience? I would like to be able to do as many procecures in clinic as possible and also not pass off challenging cases. Is FP not for me?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on what you would expect to be able to do. I do my own joint injections, casts, skin biopsies, mole removal, toenail removals, suturing, cervical biopsy, wart destruction, etc. I learned in residency how to do scopes but need to take an official providers course before I can do those in practice. I have assisted in gen surg cases too. I'm sure you could do stress tests if you learned that. What else did you have in mind as FP??

There are plenty of threads about procedures in this forum already.

The bottom line is, well...the bottom line. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you can make money doing it. Lots of variables. Most of us do the procedures that complement our practice. Everyone's practice is different.