Prof asked me to write a LoR draft

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiddler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
follow up to http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=884435
tl;dr is that i needed a letter from a prof i didn't know.

So does anybody have any letters of rec they are willing to share with me? If not, i would appreciate suggestions, links, references, anything that would help me, please!

Many thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

thanks i'm also looking for actual letters!

Members don't see this ad :)
The links were posted to show how easy it is to use the search feature on SDN. Try using it.

The links were posted to show how easy it is to use the search feature on SDN. Try using it.

Thanks for the response, but I realize how to use the search feature. Furthermore, I already have and know general guidelines for writing a letter. I'm looking for actual letters because i'm not a very good writer.

Thanks for the response, but I realize how to use the search feature. Furthermore, I already have and know general guidelines for writing a letter. I'm looking for actual letters because i'm not a very good writer.

If you want a legit example of an LOR used for med school application, check out Paul411's MDApps profile (there's a link to his at the bottom of mine.)

I would thank your professor for his offer and then find someone (anyone) else to write you a letter. Your application includes enough of your writing that the admissions committee might/should be able to recognize your writing style and voice. If they think that you have written your letter, it will be a HUGE red flag. Likely much worse than a not-as-glowing-as-you-would-like letter from a professor who taught a class in which you did not receive an A.

That said, good luck! I hope you get your letter situation figured out.

I would thank your professor for his offer and then find someone (anyone) else to write you a letter. Your application includes enough of your writing that the admissions committee might/should be able to recognize your writing style and voice. If they think that you have written your letter, it will be a HUGE red flag. Likely much worse than a not-as-glowing-as-you-would-like letter from a professor who taught a class in which you did not receive an A.

It's super common for people to write their own LORs, so I def wouldn't find another letter writer.

follow up to http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=884435
tl;dr is that i needed a letter from a prof i didn't know.

So does anybody have any letters of rec they are willing to share with me? If not, i would appreciate suggestions, links, references, anything that would help me, please!

Many thanks!

I personally wouldn't do this. I'm helping to interview pre-meds this year for a top 25 med school and it's relatively easy to distinguish top 1-2% from top 10% from top 25% quality letters rec based purely on the fact that professors who have been writing it for decades understand the style and terminology used to separate a decent letter from a spectacular letter. I don't know your letter writing ability, but I would blindly wager that unless you've been writing letters of rec for awhile, your self-endorsement will not be as strong as coming from a prof who has some experience. Also, a good prof who has your best interest in mind will be dedicated enough to write you a strong letter instead of being too busy and wanting you to do it for him.

I helped write 3/5 of my letters, and the ones I didn't write, I gave a few bullet points of what should be included in the letter. The fact is professors, doctors, bosses..etc. are busy and appreciate a some help with recc. letters. But still, I wouldn't actually write the whole letter, just make complete outlines of your letter, so that the letter writer can use their own writing style for the final draft.

I helped write 3/5 of my letters, and the ones I didn't write, I gave a few bullet points of what should be included in the letter. The fact is professors, doctors, bosses..etc. are busy and appreciate a some help with recc. letters. But still, I wouldn't actually write the whole letter, just make complete outlines of your letter, so that the letter writer can use their own writing style for the final draft.

I completely wrote two of mine for this cycle. One recommender wanted to modify it before she sent it out, and the other just sent it out as I had written it.

And to be honest, this is so common that I'm not sure why people are telling OP to find a new reference over this. There is no real formula for these letters, and many professors are as clueless as we are insofar as what's supposed to go in them until they write one!

Unfortunately, I don't feel comfortable sharing the letters I wrote, but I would suggest that you try writing your own letter, then share it with another professor that you're reasonably close with to see if it's something they think would have a good impact.