Prof Writing LOR asks for Transcript, grades bad :-/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theWUbear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started a one-year post-bacc with a summer course in cell bio, and finished as one of the top students in the class. I then asked the prof for an LOR, because i'm applying to SGU right now in case my more grandiose plans of making up for my current GPA & MCAT fall through.

He said he'd love to write for me since I've met with him many times for overall advice in addition to performing well in his class.

Then he said, send me a personal statement so I know why you want to become a doctor. And a copy of your transcript. :O

Granted, he knows I'm a post-bacc student (and therefore not in medical school, after completing the premed prereqs)...so he can't think i'm the most perfect student in the world, but if he sees my 2.6 GPA I would imagine thats not going to do great things for his opinion of me. I guess my best bet is to explain the situation to him and hope my actions in front of him speak louder than my past record? Any tips on how i should move forward?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't overthink it, just give him the transcript. You're doing great now, and he can put that in context in a positive light (or just leave it out). He's not out to screw you over. More likely than not, he'll end up writing something like, "theWUbear has grown since his undergrad experience, earning a place as one of the top students in my class."

Don't worry, just give him the PS and transcript, and let him do his thing.

Everyone knows why people need LORs. What I have done once is ask the person I choose to write me an LOR if they could write me a positive one, politely. It may sound a bit upfront but its actually a simple question if you were really close with the professor then it shouldn't be a big thing. Go to him/her with what they asked, don't make excuses and ask if the Prof if he is willing to write a positive letter. If you sound concerned about your future, you won't look like a tool.

If you have a strong PS that explains your grades and dedication to the field then I don't see any reason why he wouldn't write you a letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone knows why people need LORs. What I have done once is ask the person I choose to write me an LOR if they could write me a positive one, politely. It may sound a bit upfront but its actually a simple question if you were really close with the professor then it shouldn't be a big thing. Go to him/her with what they asked, don't make excuses and ask if the Prof if he is willing to write a positive letter. If you sound concerned about your future, you won't look like a tool.

If you have a strong PS that explains your grades and dedication to the field then I don't see any reason why he wouldn't write you a letter.

First of all, thank you both for your help. CoolWhipp, I have been taught to do that also, and I def. asked him for a positive recommendation and he agreed. Do you think I need to re-ask him or make any additional comments after he drops his jaw at my grades? The other person who replied said my good work in front of him should still prove to be fine, but I might mention a couple words to him. Also, my personal statement does not mention my poor grades. Is that something I should change?

Your personal statement could be formulated anyway it would best represent you. Personally, I would mention it.

If I had a 2.6 in college, something had to make that happen. And something had to change and be the reason why I'm taking post-bac classes and getting A's. Something would have changed for the better. I'm now more dedicated because I had "this" and "this" experience which made me realize how much passion I had to do "this" in the future. Get my drift?

Not to mention if you did talk about why you suffered academically, it would give your prof an idea of your situation. He would feel closer to you and know you better. This would hopefully lead to some empathy points and, thus, a good LOR.

I agree, I think it would be a good idea for you to mention your bad grades and the reason for them to your professor. However, don't be overly self-conscious about them. Your professor will probably just want to make sure to mention positive things in his LOR to counteract any weaknesses in your application. In this way he will try to allay any fears adcoms might have about your past academic performance by mentioning how well you are doing academically now.

Also, I would mention your grades/reasons for them/how and why you have improved either in your PS or secondary applications. Again, don't be overly self-conscious. For you I think the PS might be more appropriate just because it will be a way to show how dedicated you are to medicine that you are willing to put all this extra time into your GPA to be able to apply to med school, and it will show how much you've matured/grown since you are doing well now. Plus, not all schools have secondaries, secondaries with essays, or secondary essay prompts that allow a grade explanation such as yours. Good luck and don't worry so much :)

If your grades were outstanding, you wouldn't be in the post bacc in the first place. It makes good sense to allow this professor to address your outstanding academic abilities now after you have come so far. Send him/her the transcript and stop worrying about "what they might think". That professor can't address what happened to you as a undergrad but he/she can address where you are currently.