Professional Liability Insurance for DPT program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ngozi Onyema

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just applied for it after applying for APTA membership both of which are required by my school but I just had a thought just as soon as I finished applying, I won't be starting clinical affiliations until 2015. I'm wondering if I applied too early. On the list of requirements is also Malpractice Insurance. How is this different from the Professional Liability Insurance? why do we need both? and if I'm not starting clinical affiliations until 2015 do I still need to apply now?

Oh and I have trouble finding where to apply for the Malpractice insurance. On the APTA site I searched and found:

"Malpractice Insurance

All program participants are required to have malpractice insurance that covers them during clinical care at all facilities during the course of the program. Please check with the program to determine if malpractice insurance is provided by the program to the participant or if the participant must obtain their own malpractice insurance policy."

I was able to get the Professional Liability Insurance benefit through APTA though.

The funny thing is looking at the Medical Document Manager Requirements/Background Check paper list only Malpractice Insurance is listed and not Professional Liability Insurance and from reading some about the PL insurance I did see Malpractice mentioned so maybe they are the same and I only need the PL insurance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How are you enjoying your time at Dominican College DPT program.