Professional Science Master's Degrees (PSM) and Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ojman873

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised that I haven't found a single post on this topic on this forum (perhaps I didn't look hard enough):

• Might a PSM (Professional Science Master's) degree help for future medical school applications?

I realize that one shouldn't go through a graduate program simply because it may help medical school admission chances. Rest assured that this is only one among several factors pointing me to graduate study. I want to broaden my options should I ever decide medicine isn't for me; I also want to take my time, explore my interests, and pursue graduate study beyond the grueling nature of medical school.

I understand current trends show that education incorporating management, policy, and administration is particularly lucrative and becoming sought after throughout the scientific field, including medicine. To that end, it seems that a graduate degree in hard science only may be becoming outdated in some contexts. Thus, I am considering a number of graduate pathways. Ramifications of my degree choice upon medical school admission chances is a small but important part of this decision.

The Professional Science Master's degree is a relatively new type of degree that combines science/technology with business. It was developed to train individuals with a strong science background. According to the American Association for the Advancement of Science: "PSM degree programs are designed to allow students to pursue advanced training in science or mathematics while developing workplace skills valued by employers. Schools offering PSM programs assert that they produce well-rounded science professionals who have a deep knowledge of their subject but also have the ability to communicate effectively and manage projects."

I would be interested in a PSM in fields such as Bioscience Management (Creighton), Biotechnology (UNI), or Integrative Pharmacology (MSU). Most of the programs I am looking at can be completed in less than two years and include either research and/or internships as a part of the curricula.

I know that the most concrete answers would come from the admissions staff of potential medical schools to which I may apply in the future, but based on your collective experience and expertise on these subjects, do you think medical schools might look at a degree like this, or would they pass it over entirely because it's not a hard enough science degree?

Members don't see this ad.

I know it's probably frowned upon to "freshen up" your own thread in an attempt to elicit responses but this seems like an at least somewhat important question that I haven't seen answered (or asked for that matter) much. Am I trying to make a link (between PSM and MD or DO) where there is none to be made or is there a chance that such a degree, in some manner, could possibly or theoretically be more helpful than harmful to a med school application.

You'll still have to complete the standard, undergraduate-level prerequisite courses. I've never heard of a way around this.

Otherwise, having a professional degree won't hinder your application. If you don't mind spending the time (and money) on it, it could actually be a very good idea if medicine doesn't end up working out for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
In 10 years in med admissions, I can't recall ever seeing someone with such a degree as an applicant to medical school. Perhaps it is too rare, perhaps those admitted to such programs are not the type who end up applying to med school.

Medical schools want to know if you have the smarts and the work ethic to succeed in the med school classroom. Undergrad gpa and MCAT are the way that question generally gets answered. An advanced degree can provide a bit more information but not much in that regard.

Next, med schools want to know "why medicine". If your reasons for choosing medicine include what you learned in the masters degree, or if you plan a career in medicine that will fold in the skills you developed in the masters degree that's great. However, you may also raise concerns that your skills may be stale by the time you get to use them... You can also make better connections to what you've learned in medicine and your area of practice by taking a MS degree during your fellowship rather than before med school begins.

It won't hurt to have an advanced degree but I don't see it being a big help.

In 10 years in med admissions, I can't recall ever seeing someone with such a degree as an applicant to medical school. Perhaps it is too rare, perhaps those admitted to such programs are not the type who end up applying to med school.

Medical schools want to know if you have the smarts and the work ethic to succeed in the med school classroom. Undergrad gpa and MCAT are the way that question generally gets answered. An advanced degree can provide a bit more information but not much in that regard.

Next, med schools want to know "why medicine". If your reasons for choosing medicine include what you learned in the masters degree, or if you plan a career in medicine that will fold in the skills you developed in the masters degree that's great. However, you may also raise concerns that your skills may be stale by the time you get to use them... You can also make better connections to what you've learned in medicine and your area of practice by taking a MS degree during your fellowship rather than before med school begins.

It won't hurt to have an advanced degree but I don't see it being a big help.

While I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, this does raise some questions I've been having about getting my P.E. (Professional Engineer license) as I should have enough time in between undergrad and applying. First off, since the P.E. isn't a degree, would it be something that an adcomm would say "Oh that's interesting" and pass it by without another thought or could it carry some weight due to the two exams required to obtain the license? Second, would a P.E. actually harm me in that I would look like I'm overly committing myself to the engineering field instead of maintaining a focus in medicine?

Thanks everyone so far for the responses. Medzealot, by next month, I will have a B.S. in Biology and will have completed all of the prerequiste courses as well as considerable advanced work in math and statistics. My dilemma is that my cGPA, at 3.25, is below what is considered competitive in most circles. I understand that graduate work is relatively unimportant compared to undergraduate. However, at this time, I feel it would be a better move to get an actual degree, whether it be a PSM, MS, or MPH, rather than get multiple additional bachelor's degrees or enroll in a special post-baccalaureate program with the sole goal of raising GPA. I don't know, maybe finals time has me not thinking clearly.

While I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, this does raise some questions I've been having about getting my P.E. (Professional Engineer license) as I should have enough time in between undergrad and applying. First off, since the P.E. isn't a degree, would it be something that an adcomm would say "Oh that's interesting" and pass it by without another thought or could it carry some weight due to the two exams required to obtain the license? Second, would a P.E. actually harm me in that I would look like I'm overly committing myself to the engineering field instead of maintaining a focus in medicine?

This raises the questions: why do you want to go into medicine? When and why did you decide against engineering?

Be prepared.