Professionalism/Photo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mt Kilimanjaro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my cousins recently went to an information session held by the Associate Admissions Dean at Maryland SOM. He told me that this guy said they rejected 300 people this year based on unprofessional photos (I guess you submit them with the secondary?).

I had to share this because:

1) Asking for a photo seems like a very shrewd way medical schools can weed out the *****s. Well played, med school admissions...you've still got a few tricks up your sleeve.

2) My MSAR subscription expired, but 300 seems like it would be almost 10% of the people who complete secondaries. That's crazy.

3) I've spent a few minutes creeping on my future classmates on Facebook and have been extremely surprised at how unprofessional/naked some of these people are in their profile pictures. It seems like half the class went to Mexico for spring break, walked around half naked with a Corona bottle, took pictures of themselves exhibiting maximum duck lip, then immediately posted those pictures on their profile. I'm not very excited to meet a lot of these people.

To people applying this year: Put on a damn shirt and tie and take a picture with your smart phone. You don't even have to wear pants.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
What about a picture of me flexing? Would adcoms be mirin my gains as also evident by my ECs or would it be frowned upon that I have 18" arms?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
One of my cousins recently went to an information session held by the Associate Admissions Dean at Maryland SOM. He told me that this guy said they rejected 300 people this year based on unprofessional photos (I guess you submit them with the secondary?).

I had to share this because:

1) Asking for a photo seems like a very shrewd way medical schools can weed out the *****s. Well played, med school admissions...you've still got a few tricks up your sleeve.

2) My MSAR subscription expired, but 300 seems like it would be almost 10% of the people who complete secondaries. That's crazy.

3) I've spent a few minutes creeping on my future classmates on Facebook and have been extremely surprised at how unprofessional/naked some of these people are in their profile pictures. It seems like half the class went to Mexico for spring break, walked around half naked with a Corona bottle, took pictures of themselves exhibiting maximum duck lip, then immediately posted those pictures on their profile. I'm not very excited to meet a lot of these people.

To people applying this year: Put on a damn shirt and tie and take a picture with your smart phone. You don't even have to wear pants.

It is not just medical students or future med students, that is the way of society now haha! Interesting post, I cannot believe people would send in anything other than a shirt and tie picture. If you can't get that right, I think you shouldn't be applying to med school haha!

Gee, I was thinking of something like an Anthony Weiner shot. Those are selfies, right? (jk)