Prognostic block prior to genicular RF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJPAIN

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are all of you doing a "prognostic" block prior to genicular RFA?

Members don't see this ad.

Ya...how else would you know whether to proceed with RFA?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I've had a lot of luck doing just the blocks with a little bit of steroid. I was talking to our Stryker rep as well and he says he's heard this from a lot of other doctors in the area too. You can call it placebo or whatever you want but I have multiple very reliable patients who said they last about three months and they are happy with that.

Honestly, I've had a lot of luck doing just the blocks with a little bit of steroid. I was talking to our Stryker rep as well and he says he's heard this from a lot of other doctors in the area too. You can call it placebo or whatever you want but I have multiple very reliable patients who said they last about three months and they are happy with that.

Agreed that I've seen it....but q3 month injections in perpetuity doesn't beat q6-24 months RF.

I also don't like steroids in my low volume diagnostic blocks. Increased volume and steroid effect can decrease specificity and increase your odds of a failed RF IMHO. Nothing disappoints me and of course patients more than a failed RF after very positive response to diagnostics.

Reactions: 1 user