programs contacting applicants...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letsgomedical

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was wondering if it's common for programs to contact applicants around this time, sending them so called "love-letters." I've gotten some, and it's confusing and I'm not sure if it's just a customary thing for programs to send out emails telling an an applicant that it'd be great to have him/her next year.
thank you for your feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Some programs do, many don't. Just as many applicants do, and some don't--and we as programs can't really put too much stock in them. Applicants have been known to tell us what they think we want to hear.

Reactions: 1 user
I had many of these "love letters" last year. Some are sincere, some are full of it (or at the very least, they exaggerate the love).

Members don't see this ad :)
I had many of these "love letters" last year. Some are sincere, some are full of it (or at the very least, they exaggerate the love).
I'll say the same for the ones sent by applicants. :eyebrow:
I'm learning to save my excitement for Match Day when I get the actual results.

Reactions: 1 users
I interviews at about 10 programs and only received unsolicited feedback with respect to ranking from two of them. A couple of other programs at which I've expressed interest provided positive but nevertheless vague feedback. I have no idea if this reflects reality, though.

I interviews at about 10 programs and only received unsolicited feedback with respect to ranking from two of them. A couple of other programs at which I've expressed interest provided positive but nevertheless vague feedback. I have no idea if this reflects reality, though.

Ditto o_O

This is the norm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to hear from a top rank program. I feel it is a good idea especially in such an anxiety provoking period

I would love to hear from a top rank program. I feel it is a good idea especially in such an anxiety provoking period

Don't put too much worry into it. A program might say they will rank you but most programs rank every applicant they get. Saying they will rank you doesn't mean anything since they can rank you number 50.

I was just listening to sports radio on my drive home.
Apparently it's national Letter of Intent Day for Division I football.
I found myself identifying with my local football coach...

Reactions: 2 users
At the same time, we applicants feel the need to do SOMETHING to dispel our anxiety!

Don't put too much worry into it. A program might say they will rank you but most programs rank every applicant they get. Saying they will rank you doesn't mean anything since they can rank you number 50.

Yep, age old SDN question. Being ranked doesn't mean much. My program would generally rank all but maybe 2 to 3 people who raised pretty big red flags on interview day. Being told you're "ranked to match" should mean something, although programs very rarely disclose this because they don't know this either unless they have 12 spots and you're ranked 1 to 12. Stronger programs are probably less likely to give much in the way of post interview correspondence because they don't have to.

Either way, it varies from program to program and year to year. Don't worry if you're not getting a ton of this stuff, and don't read too much into it if you are.

Stronger programs are probably less likely to give much in the way of post interview correspondence because they don't have to.
Oh, but this isn't true. While there may not be many top programs, there also aren't many top applicants, and everyone wants them. Stronger programs have to work hard to recruit as well. It's a smaller pond but there are fewer fish.

Reactions: 1 users