Programs for those Minorities Interested in Orthopedic Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Check out the Timothy Stephens Orthopaedic Fellowship (http://www.uhhospitals.org/tabid/5386/Default.aspx)

For an entire academic year, the fellow will be embedded in the educational, surgical, and research activity of Case Western Reserve University's Orthopaedic Residency Program. Under the supervision of distinguished orthopaedic faculty, he/she will participate with current orthopaedic residents in lectures, grand rounds, clinics, surgical procedures, and basic research. The fellow will also have the opportunity to attend and present at national and regional conferences, including the annual Orthopaedic Research Society meeting, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery (AAOS) conventions, and the J. Robert Gladden Society Luncheon, where the fellow will have the opportunity to network with other medical students attending the annual AAOS convention.

The Timothy L. Stephens Jr., MD, Orthopaedic Fellowship will provide:

• Exposure to the highly competitive orthopaedic residency program at Case Western Reserve University and the University Hospitals Department of Orthopaedics;
  • Familiarity with orthopaedic basic science research, clinical studies, physical examination and orthopaedic surgical techniques;
  • Opportunities to work with and learn from leading musculoskeletal research scientists and clinicians; and
  • Fellowship stipend to underwrite living, and travel expenses.
  • Experiences gained during this fellowship will enable participants to be strong contenders for positions in orthopaedic residency programs nationwide upon graduation from medical school.

Also, just the the Society of Black Academic Surgeons (http://www.sbas.net) is there for those pursing the GSurg track, the J. R. Gladden Society (http://www.gladdensociety.org/web/index.html) is there for those minorities who are interested in orthopaedics.

There is also a non-profit association that is affiliated with the J. Robert Gladden Orthopaedic Society called Nth Dimensions: http://www.nthdimensions.org. These folks basically have grants and scholarship money for minority students interested in orthopaedics to help with: 1) summer research after their 1st year, 2) to help with housing at the national AAOS meeting, 3) to help with flight and housing costs incurred while interviewing for othopaedics, 4) and to help with the cost of orthopaedic academic books that you will have to buy once you match into ortho. Its pretty awesome and anybody interested to check out the link.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Sweet, thanks for sharing Jay

quick question, how does one go about spending an entire year after the first two years in med school doing this? what about required rotations in the third year?

Members don't see this ad :)
from what i understand you would need to take a break from school to do it. its not uncommon for people to take a break before 3rd year to get an MBA or start their PHD program, or other degrees. I"m not sure if it also applies to sitting out the match after you graduate and doing the research then...just not sure...just the messenger :D

from what i understand you would need to take a break from school to do it. its not uncommon for people to take a break before 3rd year to get an MBA or start their PHD program, or other degrees. I"m not sure if it also applies to sitting out the match after you graduate and doing the research then...just not sure...just the messenger :D

Taking time to get another degree (Ph.D, MPH, JD) after second year is fine, and common, but sitting out of the Match is a huge problem. Most programs want you to start as soon as you have graduated. If you take time off, it can greatly decrease your chances of getting into a PGY-1 slot.

I believe the common path is to take a research break after 3rd year. Some students who plan on applying to competitive residencies take this route.

Hey guys I can't believe I didn't include this in the first post, but there is also a non-profit association that is affiliated with the J. Robert Gladden Orthopaedic Societry called Nth Dimensions: http://www.nthdimensions.org. These folks basically have grants and scholarship money for minority students interested in orthopaedics to help with: 1) summer research after their 1st year, 2) to help with housing at the national AAOS meeting, 3) to help with flight and housing costs incurred while interviewing for othopaedics, 4) and to help with the cost of orthopaedic academic books that you will have to buy once you match into ortho. Its pretty awesome and anybody interested to check out the link.

Does anyone follow this thread regularly? It would be nice to keep updated on everyone's journey to ortho. I'm a rising 3rd year, who dreams of ortho every nite and I just want to make sure that I don't miss anything along the way.

Now that step 1 is out of the way your focus should be on honoring all of your 3rd year rotations and making your face known to your ortho dept by going to grand rounds or other meetings they have. Also make sure you get a faculty mentor who can guide u, look at ur cv, etc. And of course don't be annoying.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

DoctaJay, I take it that you want to do Ortho?

#The Artist formerly known as icecoldalpha06

Love this thread as I am extremely interested in Orthopedic Surgery. I am so glad there are opportunities like these... Thanks for sharing the info!!

Agreeing with above post. Can't wait to saw bones.:D

do any of you think that attending the j. robert gladden society meeting at the AAOS conference would be more effective than going to the SNMA conference and just making contacts for AIs at the various fairs and AAOS special programs?

If you aren't quite sure what specialty you want to do, then attending the NMA or SNMA might be better as you would have a wider exposure. If you are sure that ortho is for you then I can think of no better place to be than the Gladden Society meeting at the AAOS. Going there will put you with a concentrated group of people that are there for the sole purpose of helping you realize your dream of becoming an orthopod. I went for the first time last year and found it to be a very valuable experience.

If you aren't quite sure what specialty you want to do, then attending the NMA or SNMA might be better as you would have a wider exposure. If you are sure that ortho is for you then I can think of no better place to be than the Gladden Society meeting at the AAOS. Going there will put you with a concentrated group of people that are there for the sole purpose of helping you realize your dream of becoming an orthopod. I went for the first time last year and found it to be a very valuable experience.

Do they have opportunities like these for minority students that are interested in Dermatology :)

I have absolutely no idea. I was assume no though. To start organizations like this there need to be a sufficient amount of minorities to take up the cause. From my 100% anecdotal evidence, I would venture to say that Derm doesn't have as many minorities in its ranks, as compared to the surgical specialties simply because most programs only have 1-2 residency spots.

With that said, talk to an actual minority Dermatologist, as they would be more knowledgeable about this.

Any body apply for the Nth Dimension programs this year?