Programs in Southeast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dekkard

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi M4 here going into neuro.

I know this forum is getting inundated with these types of post but I'm wondering what are considered some of the better/best programs in the Southeast region? I am from that area and would like to stay in it for training while maximizing my education and was curious what the general consensus was of the top programs in that area.

Members don't see this ad.

Best for what? Academics and research? Clinical training? Cushiness? I mean, I'd tell you to go to Emory but what if you don't care about academic depth, and don't want to work hard? Then it would be a terrible choice.

Best for what? Academics and research? Clinical training? Cushiness? I mean, I'd tell you to go to Emory but what if you don't care about academic depth, and don't want to work hard? Then it would be a terrible choice.

Best in terms of all around program. I want to work hard. More importantly I want to go to a program that makes me a well rounded neurologist who's prepared to handle different and difficult clinical scenarios while alone in private practice later in my life. Perhaps somewhere with a mix of research and academic depth as well as a robust clinical experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Then my recommendation remains Emory. Duke would be fine too. Virginia doesn't get talked about as much, but they're a very fine program. Mayo Jax. Miami is doing well. Baylor has great stature but there have been comments about the residency in the past, not sure if that's been worked out.

UAB, Emory, Duke, Mayo, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Miami.

I thought Emory and Virginia were the cream of the crop. Vandy, UNC, UAB and Duke are also good programs.