programs that are 3 years vs 4 years???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onedaysoonsh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third year student who is interested in neurology residency, I am a little confused on how this residency process works??? for example, when a program is only 3 years, how do i figure out what to do for that first year, should i apply for a first year position somewhere else, complete it first and then come back to apply for neurology?? I have been writing to a few programs i am interested in, ie, UF at Jax, but no one has written me back...
i apologize in advance if this topic has been discussed elsewhere

Members don't see this ad.

You have to take a real medicine year and you apply for both and match into both at the same time. Many of not most advanced programs either guarantee a prelim year or give you some preference within their own institution.

Reactions: 1 user
Programs can have different types of positions - categorical, advanced, or both. Think of neurology residency as 1 year of internal medicine + 3 years of neurology training. That means that PGY-1 year, you'll be a medicine intern. PGY-2, PGY-3, and PGY-4 are your neurology years.

Categorical programs - these are the four year ones you are seeing. This means that when you will apply for a spot, you will not have to apply separately for a PGY-1 position. Essentially your IM year and your neurology training is integrated. No separate interviews for your medicine program needed.

Advanced programs - the three year programs. You are applying for PGY-2 neurology spot. This means that you'll have to interview for a PGY-1 preliminary medicine spot. Even if you're planning to spend 4 years at the institution, you will have to interview separately for neurology and medicine. You can do your preliminary year at a completely different institution if you wish to do so.

Some programs will have a combination. They will have a set number of categorical spots, and will also offer a few advanced spots, and when you apply you can apply to either, or both, depending on what your situation is.

Also, I'm sure many programs are busy with their ranking process for the upcoming match next month, so that may be why institutions have not contacted you.

Hope this helped.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, TUGM, what you said is very helpful. I was wondering where do i search for prelim year positions?? also on FREIDA?? I didnt see an option on FREIDA for that??

It's under internal medicine, the track is preliminary (rather than categorical or primary care, etc). Not all IM programs have a prelim track.