Programs with One Day Cycles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

path12345

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that many programs have anywhere from 1-5 day cycles for residents. I have noticed that many of the bigger name programs (Yale, U of Chicago etc) use 1 day cycles. I have also noticed that programs with smaller volume may do these as well.

Have any of you worked in programs with that? How did you manage it and did you feel like it was too busy/demanding? Why do you think the bigger name programs do these?

Members don't see this ad.

My VA rotations were one day rotations. Preview, sign out, cut. Preview, sign out, cut. Preview, sign out, cut. Throw in some frozens, an occasional autopsy and let me tell you...it was the best thing ever. We did not have to do this every month and I doubt you could keep up at that pace if you did, but you really see a lot of pathology and learn how to be efficient. Also you get to see what you gross. We could see about 700-800 specimens a month including cyto, GI, GU, and derm biopsies, and bread and butter large specimens.

I disagree completely.

The program where I'm at has one day cycle
Signout-cut-preview (cases from day before)

But attendings are never mindful of your workload and constantly ask you for more sections of yesterday's cases, eating from your grossing time for the current day's cases (which can range between 3 big specimens to 7, the average is 5 big specimens)

Members don't see this ad :)
I also had a 1-day cycle. I think this is best for maximizing "real world" experience and volume.

Signout, preview biopsies, signout biopsies, gross, preview....

I disagree completely.

But attendings are never mindful of your workload and constantly ask you for more sections of yesterday's cases, eating from your grossing time for the current day's cases (which can range between 3 big specimens to 7, the average is 5 big specimens)

Is there something wrong with the way you gross?

I disagree completely.

That sounds like a two day cycle. If you are previewing the night before, case is not signed out until next day.

That sounds like a two day cycle. If you are previewing the night before, case is not signed out until next day.

No... it's still a 1-day cycle. The cycle refers to altering daily functions. In a 2 day cycle, you would theoretically preview for a full day, or have different activities planned every other day. If you preview, gross, and sign-out every day, it is a 1-day cycle.

examples:

1 day: Sign-out, gross, preview
2 day: (1) sign-out, gross; (2) preview, biopsies
3 day: (1) sign-out, biopsies; (2) gross; (3)preview + frozen section

...etc.

My program has a 3 day cycle. I like it a lot. Having an entire day to preview and read is nice.

1 - gross
2 - preview and AM frozens
3 - signout and PM frozens