Progress Thread for 2016 Applicants (ie. Entering 2017)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a SINGLE class that ends on June 8th, so I'm pretty boned in terms of being able to get my app verified in june

Members don't see this ad.

You feel this way now, but just wait, your soul will be crushed and you will live the next 8 months in excruciating agony of not hearing things, waiting, waiting, more waiting.

What me? Cynical, nahhhhh :rofl:

I had this realization a while back after applying for a research position and not getting it. I was like, "wait, what? But I'm awesome - there must have been some mistake!" Then I remembered that I'm not a special snowflake. And then I considered that applying to medical schools is going to be like that same feeling, but times 20 or so :(

Reactions: 1 users
Crushed a full length's worth of practice MCAT passages today from the AAMC QPacks and Khan Academy.

11tk2x.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
^Lol, the QPacks are known to be the easiest out of the AAMC and are from older tests :p.

For anyone in Texas, realize you need to have THREE letter of recs now instead of TWO. They changed this on their webpage sometime after January '16.

I would get as many letters as possible, I have like 5 right now - it only makes you look better
^Lol, the QPacks are known to be the easiest out of the AAMC and are from older tests :p.

For anyone in Texas, realize you need to have THREE letter of recs now instead of TWO. They changed this on their webpage sometime after January '16.

I have a SINGLE class that ends on June 8th, so I'm pretty boned in terms of being able to get my app verified in june

So I didn't know this, but you don't HAVE to wait, you can submit on day 1 with that last term being as "in progress" unless you really need it to be on your transcript - which is all a judgement call if my understanding is correct - so I would double check into this.

Screen_Shot_2016-04-04_at_11_29_56_AM.jpg

I disagree....multiple people I know that matriculated this year into MD programs, didn't put our last quarter grades up because grades our grades don't come out until June 15th. Can you back up anywhere where it says you have to wait? It specifically says you can put things as "current" - This is directly off my AMCAS application

You can even do a search for "AMCAS waiting quarter grades", and you'll find multiple threads with the same info

• "First, you don't HAVE to send Spring grades before matriculation. You can go through the whole admissions process without your latest grades and give the final Spring grades to the med schools once you're accepted. Now, if you wanted to include your spring grades after you submitted AMCAS without them, then facewait is right and you will have to update each school individually. It's up to them whether or not they want to recalculate your GPA too. So, there are more nuances to think about. Will your Spring grades improve your GPA substantially? Will it get you past a psychological hurdle (e.g. 3.28 to 3.31)? Since med schools aren't obligated to update your GPA after they receive your app, then you should make sure Spring grades are on AMCAS in the first place. If you want to wait for your Spring grades, moreover, med schools don't look at applications until mid-July and so even on the quarter system, your latest grades will be available by then and you'll still be considered with all the applicants who submitted AMCAS on June 3rd. If your Spring GPA will remain relatively static or if your Spring GPA will hurt you, go ahead and submit your AMCAS without your latest quarter and you'll be fine. You're under no time pressure, so simply consider Spring's impact on your GPA."
  • From California and I ended up deciding to apply without my spring quarter grades because it would not significantly change my GPA. An added benefit to not waiting for your spring quarter grades is that if you do well, you can use it to update schools later on down the line.
  • I submitted early without my spring grades. My Overall GPA and Sci GPA weren't going to budge much so it did not make sense to wait for spring quarter grades.
  • Directly from LizzyM "
    My opinion: Juniors should wait and submit after Spring quarter grades are posted. Seniors are ok submitting without Spring quarter grades.
    Also, I'd be sure to have a grade for all pre-reqs so if you've taken any of those in Spring quarter, submit after grades are posted. Finally, if your quarter gpa is anticipated to be higher than your current total gpa, it is in your best interest to wait and get that little bump in gpa before submitting your application.

Last edited:
^ ah yes - now both our posts are correct!

I know there hasn't been much activity here, but dropping a line to say...I made it! Accepted to medical school today!

Last edited:
Got my 5th WL decision today:

full

Got my 5th WL decision today:

full
Gurbs, do you some acceptances too?

-- EDIT -- Also letting y'all know that I was accepted to 4 schools! So, it's possible to get in even 4 years out of undergrad ^_^.

Gurbs, do you some acceptances too?

-- EDIT -- Also letting y'all know that I was accepted to 4 schools! So, it's possible to get in even 4 years out of undergrad ^_^.

6th WL a little while ago! I do have some acceptances so I really can't be too salty.

6th WL a little while ago! I do have some acceptances so I really can't be too salty.
Dag, 6WL making my 4 look like nothin.

Glad you're going to be a doc, tho bro

Dag, 6WL making my 4 look like nothin.

Glad you're going to be a doc, tho bro

Probably have 2 more WL's in the pipeline too, I ain't done yet!