Project Healthcare - NYUSM/Bellevue Hospital Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone do this, this past summer? I'm definitely looking into it for Summer 2011, I was just wondering about how difficult the selections process has gotten lately.
hey dmegxmed. i also am applying for summer 2011 i am planning on sending the application in January. 50- 60 student getting accepted from a pool 0f 300 is considered competitive to me. i am having trouble with the essay and was wondering what you are including. it is kinda stressful since i do not have volunteer experience. do you have any past activities or qualifications that may make you stand out? i hope everyone has an even chance in getting in.

Members don't see this ad.

Bump..

I just applied to this program actually. It seems like a really fantastic opportunity, especially since it's in NYC.

What do you guys think are my chances of getting in, as I have nothing to gauge myself off of?

GPA: 3.84 (they didn't ask for a transcript, but wanted a resume?)

LOR's: Very good. I was the top student in both classes, and the professors got to know me pretty well through my participation.

Essay: Pretty good I guess?

EC's: Worked as an EMT-B for one summer, also have experience volunteering in ER's etc. etc. as well as experiencing volunteering for a local fire dept as an EMT-B.
hey did you ever get accepted into the program??

I'm applying to the program and was wondering what I should put on my Curriculum Vitae. I just finished my first semester and don't even have my GPA so I can't put that and don't have much things that I've done so far, since I'm just starting.

Also what exactly are they looking for? the program by description is exactly what I am looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any other programs similar to this in the NYC area during the summer that you guys recommend? I applied to this, but it seems very competitive so I may need some backup plans.

Are there any other programs similar to this in the NYC area during the summer that you guys recommend? I applied to this, but it seems very competitive so I may need some backup plans.

The program looks for a mix of individuals. Though most of the students are considering medicine, they accept students interested in nursing, social work, etc. They also take a variety of students, from college freshman to postbaccs.

I did PHC, but due to hours involved (you won't get off until after 11pm on some nights), my friend chose to intern at NY Methodist instead. You don't get the diversity of different departments to rotate through, but the hours are more flexible than Bellevue.

I got an interview So Bru is right I guess, the emails were sent today. Anyone experience the interview? Anyone willing to tell me how it went what they asked, what I should expect, etc. I really want this program badly, but I feel that my age will hurt me since I'm a freshman.

There's the Charles B Wang Center summer internship. I believe it is called Project Ahead? I can't remember and it's been 6 years since I interviewed.

NY Downtown hospital has a pretty decent volunteer program but again, I haven't been in 7 years.

Community programs in NYC tend to offer better volunteer opportunities than private hospitals like NY-Presb, Tisch, Sinai etc. Those programs will probably make you a hospital guide or some sort of file ***** (read: very little patient interaction).

PHC is one of the BEST programs in NYC for patient interaction and learning about medicine. By the way, age will NOT hurt you. They choose candidates of ALL ages. I participated back in 2007. I'd say a good number of PHCers that summer were recent freshman/sophmores. There were a number of college graduates, the oldest being 26 at the time (all of whom eventually went on to do a post-bac and are now in medical school). Heck, they even took me and they KNEW I was entering medical school immediately after the program ended. You just need a solid reason for being in the program. Good luck!

There's the Charles B Wang Center summer internship. I believe it is called Project Ahead? I can't remember and it's been 6 years since I interviewed.

NY Downtown hospital has a pretty decent volunteer program but again, I haven't been in 7 years.

Community programs in NYC tend to offer better volunteer opportunities than private hospitals like NY-Presb, Tisch, Sinai etc. Those programs will probably make you a hospital guide or some sort of file ***** (read: very little patient interaction).

PHC is one of the BEST programs in NYC for patient interaction and learning about medicine. By the way, age will NOT hurt you. They choose candidates of ALL ages. I participated back in 2007. I'd say a good number of PHCers that summer were recent freshman/sophmores. There were a number of college graduates, the oldest being 26 at the time (all of whom eventually went on to do a post-bac and are now in medical school). Heck, they even took me and they KNEW I was entering medical school immediately after the program ended. You just need a solid reason for being in the program. Good luck!

What was the interview like? What did they ask? My reason for being there is to learn. It's nothing special, but the program gives me so many opportunities to just grasp the concept of medicine so I really want this badly.

Dont worry nolookpass you are going to rock that interview you will do great if you are this eager and enthusiastic, I see no reason why they would not want someone like you in their team. :)

so if i didn't get an email...does that mean i didn't get it?...i haven't received an unacceptance letter yet.

There is a wait-list as well. I believe they will start drawing from that once people have declined/accepted their invitation to join the program.

Short answer: no idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't get an email. Guess I didn't get in. Not too surprised.

i'm just confused as to why they wouldn't at least send us an email to let us know that we didn't make it into the program? it's very uneasy cuz i just keep waiting -_-

hey stormy,

i can't respond back to you via messages cuz your mailbox is full but i interviewed on march 13th sunday with a PHC coordinator.
hbu?

Yesterday was the day for accepted applicants to state whether they wanted to commit to the program, so the wait list should start moving soon. Maybe they didn't notify wait listers yet? Check your spam box, if you continue not to hear anything you could shoot them an e-mail just reasserting your interest, etc.

Everyone who has not heard back yet will hear back on the first week of April.

The best things in life happen when you least expect it. :)

I sent an email ,they said first week of april not all acceptance letters are out.

Try to forget about it that is what I am doing and apply to other internships. Take a deep breath and hope for the best. It is a very competitive program they take students from around the country and even outside the u.s.a. Most of the kids in my day had some study aboard that they did so I am pretty sure phc wants unique individuals. If it was meant to be it will be. :)

I sent an email ,they said first week of april not all acceptance letters are out.

Try to forget about it that is what I am doing and apply to other internships. Take a deep breath and hope for the best. It is a very competitive program they take students from around the country and even outside the u.s.a. Most of the kids in my day had some study aboard that they did so I am pretty sure phc wants unique individuals. If it was meant to be it will be. :)
I'm also waiting for a reply as well. Seems like there's quite a waiting list for this internship. Does anyone know if by chance they are still sending out acceptance emails in May?

I'm also waiting for a reply as well. Seems like there's quite a waiting list for this internship. Does anyone know if by chance they are still sending out acceptance emails in May?

I honestly have no idea whether there are still acceptances to go out. You could perhaps e-mail the coordinators to ask.

That said, I do know that those who were accepted to the program initially had to confirm that they would be attending PHC by March 28th. Also, all of the paperwork from that first batch of acceptances was due on April 18th. So the main times for movement of the wait list would have probably been after those dates. It's getting a little late in the game now, but again I can't say for sure just guessing. It's possible there's still some movement as they go through the alternate list and wait for responses from that etc.

Guys it is OK that you did not get any letter of acceptance ( yea it sucked) PHC sounds like an amazing program. It is like being in denial, i really believe that everyone already got accepted plus the program starts this June. The PHC interview will forever haunt me. LOL

But..

I can not wait to apply again! This is thee program for me. Gives me a WHOLE year to be more proactive. Plus apply to the internship in Presbyterian.

can't wait to start on this forum again for PHC fall 2012

Peace and much love :luck:
D.M

I was not accepted in this year's program but does any one know if you have to complete the whole application process again or are these applications still on file?

Stormy91, I hear you on that one, and you are right, there is always next year! ;-)

What do they put a major emphasis on? Essays? Grades? Interview?

i noticed that the program asks for CV but do they really mean a legit CV or resume is fine? thanks.

i noticed that the program asks for CV but do they really mean a legit CV or resume is fine? thanks.

Legit CV. Thats why they call it a CV and not a resume on the site.

If you live close to the city and want to do something at Bellevue, just volunteer there. Once you meet some doctors/nurses, you can see whatever you want in the hospital. After networking for a few months, you talk to people and can work on different projects and help out all over the hospital system they have there (Tisch/BV/VA). Worked for me.

I submitted a resume last year and got an interview invite

Haven't really seen a thread for the summer 2012 applicants. Any one else submitted an application this year.

ive applied. has anybody heard back yet? this program sounds amazing for people who are looking for clinical experience!!!

No, last year they took about two weeks to send in a response. So hopefully we hear this week.

:)

Actually, they should have send in an email by now has any one heard back?

Actually, they should have send in an email by now has any one heard back?

Omg I just got the email! Do you have any idea what the interview is like?! :O How should I prepare for it? >.<

I am soooooo nervous.

omg ahhh i have not receievd anything. Was it like just now? did you submit the paper application or the online?

omg ahhh i have not receievd anything. Was it like just now? did you submit the paper application or the online?

I just got it today! But I email-ed them yesterday about my application's status so I guess that was their reply.

Good luck tho! :)

do people recommend emailing them back to ask about our status? or should we just wait it out...

yeah same question as above. i got an email about a week ago saying that their system shut down or something so i had to resent my essay, cv, and photo, so maybe thats why its taking them a bit longer?

I don't think you need to email them and ask. I received an email yesterday without checking on the status.
Does anyone know anything about the interview? How it works? What to wear? etc...

I would like to know too. =] tell me if your interview goes first xD

Congrats to those who got interviews. I was part of Project HealthCare two years ago. Definitely an amazing program. I'll be entering med school in the fall and it played a big part in my decision to enter medicine. It was also a topic that came up on several of my med school interviews. You get a lot of access - more than what many med students will be exposed to in their first two years. As such, you have to be mature and prompt for your shifts or you WILL be kicked out of the program.

Unless they have changed it, they will place you in a room with several other interviewees. I imagine it was maybe 30+ people. They will then give a presentation/speech. After that, the group is broken up into smaller groups. Some will follow the coordinators for guided tours while others will be remain in the room to be called into interviews. Interviews are one-on-one and could be with a number of different people - admins, nurses, docs. There is only one interview. There is more than one interview day, if I'm not mistaken. So if you didn't get contacted yet, I think you still have a chance.

Feel free to PM me about the program.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, Does anyone know when we find out AFTER the interview? I was the first group and they didn't say when they would get back to us :(.

Hey, Does anyone know when we find out AFTER the interview? I was the first group and they didn't say when they would get back to us :(.

I was also in the first interview session and was wondering the same thing... Can anyone help?

Also, let me know if they contact you, premedkiwi.
Good luck! :xf:

I interviewed on the 18th, and they said they'd get back to us April 1... tomorrow.

Thanks, good luck to both of you as well. Let me know if you hear anything, still haven't gotten an email but it is a Sunday.