Promotion in Physical Therapy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kbean824

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been considering a career in physical therapy, but I was wondering if there opportunities for promotion. Basically, if you become a PT at 25, are you going to be doing the same physical work by the time you are 60? What other possibilities are there with a M.S. in PT?

Members don't see this ad.

You can quickly be promoted to a management position. You could also open up your own private practice and do as much or as little patient care as your bottom line can allow. An advanced degree such as a Ph.D. would also allow you to be an instructor at a university or even without it you could teach continuing education seminars.

lets re-spark this question. how much does your salary increase if you do the same thing from age 25 til your 40. as well as administrative positions

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I have read, there is not really any way to climb up a "corporate lader" because there is non. From what I have seen, there seems to be a very level playing field in terms of duties, salary, and respect among professionals and patients between PTA's, PTs, DPTs, without regard for those who have more or less credintials including experience. That was supposed to one of the "perks" of PT, namely that there is not really a corporate lader.

I know a PTA that is head of the rehab department of a nursing home. However, she still needs a PT to do written work..

lets re-spark this question. how much does your salary increase if you do the same thing from age 25 til your 40. as well as administrative positions

Additionally, what about the higher degree? I will be completing my DPT degree from a very well respected school in Boston shortly. I am very concerned that I will not be fairly compensated for all of my hard work. I have seen figures such as 55,000 to start and a national average of 60,000. I do not really want to start down a new career path as I have worked very hard for a significant number of years to get to this point in life. Is it expected that the pay will increase shortly for the fresh DPTs or are they going to continue to be unfairly compensated? If that is the case, what should be the motivation for earning the DPT? It certainly doesnt seem like the added responsibilities, because those are nonexistant as well. Is there really a promotion that occurs between the MSPT and the DPT either in terms of salary or duties?

Personally, I would do home health and nursing home =). Pay is slightly higher but talking to a PT, they tend to not hire fresh graduates usually for some dam reason. Mainly for doing the same work vs more variety in an ortho or hospital type setting.

I dont mind. But thats just me. I get along with older people. Mostly geriatric population.

But I feel for you. Im not gonna pay well over 100k for the same education as a much cheaper school.

I want my kids to eat Popeyes and Burger King instead of ramin noodle night.

Additionally, what about the higher degree? I will be completing my DPT degree from a very well respected school in Boston shortly. I am very concerned that I will not be fairly compensated for all of my hard work. I have seen figures such as 55,000 to start and a national average of 60,000. I do not really want to start down a new career path as I have worked very hard for a significant number of years to get to this point in life. Is it expected that the pay will increase shortly for the fresh DPTs or are they going to continue to be unfairly compensated? If that is the case, what should be the motivation for earning the DPT? It certainly doesnt seem like the added responsibilities, because those are nonexistant as well. Is there really a promotion that occurs between the MSPT and the DPT either in terms of salary or duties?

The short answer is "no". DPT's will not be compensated any higher than MPT's in most settings. I have hired several PT's and the credential holds very little weight right now. Look at it in terms of your employer. You used the word "fair". Is it fair for your employer to pay you more money for doing the same job your MPT coworker does? Do you as a new-grad DPT feel you have more to offer than an MPT? If you do, make your case. Most employers are unlikely to agree when it comes to their bottom line.

I am not trying to be harsh, but your post begs the question: Didn't you ask around local PT clinics before starting school to learn about salaries?

Hello PT2MD,
Thank you for your reply and your honesty. Quite frankly, when I was seeking out informatin regarding salary for PTs, the DPT was brand new and I didnt know of anyone who could appropriatly address the issue of their salaries. I assumed that it would have increased with the increased credentials. Now that information is more available I am deeply disapointed, yet not completely unsurprised. In retrospect, I would have rather of worked a little harder and gone through med school. Regarding the increased skill to offer, I have a very strong exercise physiology background and can prescirbe exercise in the management of some chronic diseases, where exercise has been shown to produce of theraputic benifit (according to the ACSM). I believethat most therapists do not, but I could be wrong.

Why did you decide to switch to medicine and how would you suggest that I begin to make the switch (as I am headed towards 100,000.00 in debt!)

It sounds like you and I have very similar backgrounds. I have a masters in exercise and human performance prior to going into PT school. I am "attempting" to transition to medicine for a couple of key reasons, but still have plenty of trepidation because we are in a truly great profession. PT is going through a transition right now and I'm not sure where the identity crisis will land. I think medicine is established and in the best position to secure its stability over the next 30 years or so, whereas PT I am less certain.

By most med school standards, I am not a strong candidate. I am hanging on to my graduate achievements and clinical background, whereas most undergrads will have stronger MCATs etc...If my pursuit of medicine doesn't pan out, my mission will be to be the best damn PT out there. That includes pimping our professon AND doing major bodily damage to the chiropractic profession who I consider to be our biggest rival.

I think it's a good thing to move toward doctoral level credentials - hell, if I paid $100K for a DPT, I'd make my wife call me Dr. ;) . You should be proud of your credential no matter how much you paid for it. However, the credential doesn't mean jack unless we can go toe-to-toe with other providers who have direct access - we don't. This is why I think the DPT is meaningless right now. Now it may be down the road, but we will have to overcome heavy resistance from the chiropractic and allopathic profession to achieve such status.

I would stick to your path and develop your clinical skills as a therapist. You may realize it really is the path meant for you. This truly is a great profession, but it can be better. It's just a matter of deciding if there are enough of us out there willing to make it better. Otherwise we have no choice but to look for stronger options. I'm not sure if that helps you or not, but I hope things work out well for you.

In the same boat as you. I got a strong exercise physiology background and a massage therapy liscence. I may not be ACSM but I am ACE (American Council on Exercise). I do know that most of the PT cirriculum will involve kinesiology, exercise science lab, etc. You are prescribing exercise / movement as rehab. So having that background is helpful and sorta gives you an edge. However, I know some current PT students had Biology, Psychology,and general studies degrees.

Yes- THANK YOU for your feedback.
However, I tend to fear the current changes in PT simply because it is change. It could just as easily change for the good as it could the bad in my opinion. Regarding the potential outcome of the DPT, I also tend to think very pestimistically. Why would PT change for the better if it doesnt have to? I feel as though as long as there are physiatrists, the APTA invisioned DPT is an unessesary credential. After coming to the realization that the differences between a MSPT and a DPT are nill, I am rather frustrated. If I do not make it in medicine when I have completed my DPT, than I will join you in the attempt to better PT by being the best I can be for my patients, for myself, and for the profession. After all, PT is a noble profession that deserves the best its practitioners can give it.

I am another DPT here starting my 3rd year of practice. I have had contemplations of going to medical or PA school since my PT program when I observed my first surgery. Right know I am preparing to apply to PA school, but also getting ready to finish O-chem for medical schools apps as I want to leave my options open.

Seeing so many PTs on SDN that have made the transition to medicine and feel that it is the best decision they made has continued to fuel my desire to pursue medicine.

I think the DPT will be beneficial for our field some day, but right now it does not place us at any advantage. There are also issues with other political battles within PT: continuing decreased reimbursement, the POPTS environment and others that have become a source of frustration.