promotion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spa-56

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if some one could teach me how the promotion process work in the Navy.
I just want to know what is the next step after the senate approval? Do you need to do another commissioning oath before you wear the next rank? What about for pay? Is there any commissioning paper work you have to sign first? Sorry, I suppose to know this. Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

With every set of results there is also a promotion phasing plan (tells you who gets promoted which month) published at some point after the results are released. In the past this was based on lineal number, but now they are supposedly promoting the best qualified first. There will also be a NavAdmin/AlNav message released saying by name who is promoted that month.

In general something like 3% are promoted per month starting in October and then everyone else is promoted on Sept 1. You will need to sign a memo which will come from Pers/Officer Correspondence saying you accept the promotion, etc.

You get to wear the rank/get paid/etc on the date you are promoted.

Just an FYI: the Navy doesn't do the whole Rank(sel) thing so don't be the dude/tte who writes that as their rank on their email block signature.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I was wondering if some one could teach me how the promotion process work in the Navy.
I just want to know what is the next step after the senate approval? Do you need to do another commissioning oath before you wear the next rank? What about for pay? Is there any commissioning paper work you have to sign first? Sorry, I suppose to know this. Thanks for the help.
With every set of results there is also a promotion phasing plan (tells you who gets promoted which month) published at some point after the results are released. In the past this was based on lineal number, but now they are supposedly promoting the best qualified first. There will also be a NavAdmin/AlNav message released saying by name who is promoted that month.

In general something like 3% are promoted per month starting in October and then everyone else is promoted on Sept 1. You will need to sign a memo which will come from Pers/Officer Correspondence saying you accept the promotion, etc.

You get to wear the rank/get paid/etc on the date you are promoted.

Just an FYI: the Navy doesn't do the whole Rank(sel) thing so don't be the dude/tte who writes that as their rank on their email block signature.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I think the annual promotion phasing plan is released once a year--in Aug or Sep. For those selected in 2015 for FY-16 , the phasing plan released in Aug and the promotion will start Sep/Oct 2016. For those selected this year for FY-17, the promotion will begin in Sep/Oct 2017, not in Oct 2016, I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats. You don't have to do anything. Your CO swear you in and have you sign the paperwork when it's time.

I think the annual promotion phasing plan is released once a year--in Aug or Sep. For those selected in 2015 for FY-16 , the phasing plan released in Aug and the promotion will start Sep/Oct 2016. For those selected this year for FY-17, the promotion will begin in Sep/Oct 2017, not in Oct 2016, I think.

Incorrect. FY17 promotions start Oct 2016.