Promotions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobbyseal

Boat boy
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long does it take in service or with creditable service to make O4, O5, and O6?

IE, when I start my internship I'll be O3, is making O4 just take 4 years like making O3 did? From there, how much longer does it take to make O5 and O6?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by bobbyseal
How long does it take in service or with creditable service to make O4, O5, and O6?

IE, when I start my internship I'll be O3, is making O4 just take 4 years like making O3 did? From there, how much longer does it take to make O5 and O6?

thanks.

The usual quoted time is 6-6-6. Thus you should be an 0-6 after 18 years of active duty. If you get promoted below the zone (I think this is the right phrase) you could get promoted in 5. I think you'd have to be somewhere attracting attention for that, e.g. opperational medicine or publishing a gagillion articles.

Ed

As EdM indicates, it is 6-6 for O4/O5 but O6 is not automatic after another 6 years.

For those of you interested in being a Flag officer, only certain specialties are considered.... primary care and surgical. Rads/Anes/Derm/etc are not.

Members don't see this ad :)
The last two flag MC officers that were CO's at the Naval Hospital Portsmouth, VA were an anesthesiologist and a radiologist. The key to putting Flag on is to stop seeing patients and start doing admin...the "executive medicine" pathway. Also, all of the executive medicine jobs are open to Dental corps, medical corps, medical service corps and nurse corps. So, all of those useless O-6 Nurse COrps clipboard commandoes are trying to get the O-6 and flag level jobs, and often succeeding.

Will most chief residents who have a 4+ year residency in addition to a gmo tour make O4 before they graduate residency?

I'm curious if the 6 years to O4 is exactly like the 4 years to make O3 for everyone. Or if they will not make you O4 until you finish residency.

Thanks.

Hi folks:

I've been looking around the web, but to no avail. Does anyone have rough TIG/TIS guidelines for promotion to each grade? Does such a thing exist?

Thanks.

I'm curious if the 6 years to O4 is exactly like the 4 years to make O3 for everyone. Or if they will not make you O4 until you finish residency.

Just to be scemantic, you don't promoted to O3 after 4 years. Every doctor starts at a minimum of O-3. When you graduate you get recommisioned. On your question, yes you can get promoted to O-4 and O-5 during residency if you have the time in. This summer there was one resident who was an O-5 in the program. He outranked all the attendings except the dept head and the residency director.

Another note, if you get promoted to O-7, your salary will actually go down because you lose your specialty pays. Of course you get someone to hold you hat for you, so its worth it.

Ed

I want to make O7 just so that I can have my little flag flown whereever I go. The cover holder is the icing on the cake!

I want to make O7 just so that I can have my little flag flown whereever I go. The cover holder is the icing on the cake!

Oh I almost forgot. People have to salute your car too.

Ed

Am I correct in saying that if you are on the HPSP scholarship that during Residecy you get 03 pay, BAH & BAS? Also, I know it does not count towards the 4 you owe, but does residency count towards TIS for promotions? Thanks, Amy

So, all of those useless O-6 Nurse COrps clipboard commandoes are trying to get the O-6 and flag level jobs, and often succeeding.

"Clipboard commandoes"? I love it! Gotta remember that one!

Originally posted by AmyBass2011
Am I correct in saying that if you are on the HPSP scholarship that during Residecy you get 03 pay, BAH & BAS? Also, I know it does not count towards the 4 you owe, but does residency count towards TIS for promotions? Thanks, Amy

Yes if you do your residency in the military it counts for TIS for promotion.

Ed

Flag officer = Admiral or General. They call them flag officers due to the fact that they each get a .....FLAG. It will have the equivilant number of stars on it that is their rank, i.e. one star for Rear Admiral (Lower Half) or Brigader General, two stars Rear Admiral (Upper Half) or Major General..etc. It is a VERY old hold over from times when armies used Flags as the primary means of comunication and unit identification. Ok way to much info I know.:hardy: