Propecia and birth defects

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacy7424

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Scenario:

Man is taking propecia for baldness. Man impregnates woman. Is there a higher chance of birth defects because the finasteride was present in the semen that fertilized the egg?

What about if the man starts propecia after the woman is already pregnant, and they have unprotected sex in which the man ejaculates inside the vagina. Does the finasteride-containing semen pose a risk to the fetus?

Members don't see this ad.

Know what post a risk to the fetus? Being bald in his 20s

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did not know that propecia is excreted into the semen. If anyone knows more about this subject, please enlighten me. I am curious as well.

Wow you guys really need more to do with your time.

The point is that it might be prudent to counsel a man that if he is sexually active he may want to consider contraceptive if the risk of birth defects is not yet established.

Wow you guys really need more to do with your time.

The point is that it might be prudent to counsel a man that if he is sexually active he may want to consider contraceptive if the risk of birth defects is not yet established.
If OP is a Rph can't he/she just do their own research to find the answer instead of going to SDN?

OP has started a bunch of weird threads lately...

Hi,

I've joined this group to comment on this, as I've been taking finasteride, Propecia for about 9 years. My wife got pregnant for the first time about 3 years ago. I took propecia as normal throughout the pregnancy. In one of the fetal scans we discovered that our baby "a girl" had Achondroplasia (dwarfism). It was never determined why that happened. The doctors said it was a random thing. I didn't consider the propecia until I was recently contacted by my doctor warning me that new studies showed that finasteride had been linked to male fetal abnormalities. After reading a bit on this, I see nothing that talks about dwarfism or female fetus abnormalities, so I don't know if it is relevant to the discussion. Nonetheless, it has opened a nagging doubt in my mind. I feel I should mention for the record.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user