About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Propranolol ER vs propranolol SA

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by ronkoshy, Jan 10, 2011.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. ronkoshy

ronkoshy

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hi,

I have a question regarding propranolol dispensing in the pharmacy. Is there a difference between propranolol SA capsules vs propranolol ER capsules? In the CVS computer, when I took MYLAN propranolol 60 ER caps, typed in the NDC, it registered as propranolol SA 60 mg caps.. So the computer was telling me they were the same thing. One pharmacist told me they weren't. Another pharmacist told me they were. I did my own little research into LexiComp and it says that propranolol SA caps are the generic for Inderal LA and propranolol ER/XL caps are the generic for InnoPran XL caps. Is there a difference between the generics? After all, the CVS computer said the ER was the SA.

I ask bc I know bupropion is available as IR, SR, and XL/ER. These 3 are all different. I just don't get propranolol SA 60 mg vs propranolol ER 60 mg.

Thanks
  2. PharmD RPh

PharmD RPh

Pharmacist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    1st of all how was the RX written? Propranolol ER, XL etc.? If so, sub what you want. Judging from what I could tell from the orange book website, it appears Innopran XL has a BX rating meaning that there is insufficient evidence to rate propranolol xl as a generic equivalent. Disclaimer: I'm not orange book expert and find it to be a very confusing reference. I'm guessing your computer just has two different manufacturers that are the same listed differently?
  3. All4MyDaughter

All4MyDaughter SDN Mommystrator Staff Member Administrator SDN Senior Moderator Lifetime Donor Partner Organization

Pharmacist
    Pharmacist SDN Partner SDN Published Author NCPA SDN 7+ Year Member
    I don't get the same thing when I look at Lexi. I see that all the capsules are 24 hour preparations and all the tablets are immediate release. The Orange Book backs this up. Sounds like if the doctor wrote for InnoPran you have to use THAT specific product b/c of the BX rating. But if they just wrote for once daily propranolol (pick your strength) you should be good to use whatever capsule you have on hand. But you could check the orange book if you were uncertain about specific manufacturers.
  4. ronkoshy

ronkoshy

doctor wrote for propranolol sa 60 mg caps .. i typed it up, then the pharmacist says we don't have any in stock.. i go to the shelf and see propranolol er 60 mg caps and say.. why can't we use this, its the same thing right? he says no. so i call a near by cvs and the pharmacist says wtf is wrong with you ron, propranolol sa and er and xl caps are all the same thing, so i just did it like that..

i agree, if i get a script for innopran xl, i will type it out like that and let the computer do whatever substitution, same with inderal and inderal la. the confusing part here was the script was written for propranolol sa.

i checked orange book as well .. innopran xl has a bx rating for both of its strengths .. but how about it's generics? thats the confusing part..

i've come to the conclusion that my question really doesn't matter anymore because .. apparently there is no generic for innopran xl .. so if a script is for innopran, it will only be for innopran brand name until it's patent runs out .. every other propranolol er/xl/sa are all the same thing: inderal la

"
    When Will Generic InnoPran XL Be Available?

The first patent for InnoPran XL currently expires in December 2022. This is the earliest predictable date that a generic version of the medication could become available."

according to emedtv.com
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  5. PharmD RPh

PharmD RPh

Pharmacist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Innopran doesn't come in a 60mg strength? In that case, I sub whatever generic propranolol Xl/ER 60mg cap I have.
  6. ronkoshy

ronkoshy

no, your right, innopran is only available as 80 and 120 mg strengths. by the way great pic of a drive thru pharmacy haha .. and of course its cvs haha

i guess i was just confused between different generics of inderal la .. the difference between propranolol er and propranolol sa, but i've come to the conclusion that they are both the same thing so whenever i see a script for inderal la, propranolol er, or propranolol sa, i will use whatever generic propranol er/xl/sa i have on the shelf

thanks for all the help everyone!
  7. J DUB

J DUB Watch my TAN walk!! Lifetime Donor

Medical Student
    Pharmacist Rocket Scientist NCPA SDN 7+ Year Member
    I would use them as the same.....
  8. Philboyds

Philboyds

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Does anyone see a problem with this (and many other) threads?
    Noone actually answered the question, then it wandered off in whatever direction the first response took it in. (The guy who didn't know but someone told him they are the same so he just started using them interchangeably.)
    Does anyone actually know the difference? What do the SA, ER, etc etc stand for? Why were they designated as different in the first place (even if may be now they are truly not different)
    I Am just complaining about the lack of scientific thinking and actual knowledge and verification that one would expect from people in a complex scientific field such as MEDICINE!!!

Unbelievable.
  9. rxlea

rxlea Unicorn wannabe Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor

SDN Published Author NCPA hSDN Member hSDN Alumni SDN 2+ Year Member
    Extended release and sustained action. They are the same, just made by different companies... Now, if one was a tablet and the other was a capsule, they would be different.

In ths case they are the same and interchangeable.
  10. cycloketocaine

cycloketocaine

Pharmacist
    NCPA SDN 7+ Year Member
    Lol...your first post is bitching about how off topic we go?

Awesome.
  11. KARM12

KARM12 Super Member

Pharmacist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    And resurecting an almost 2 yr old thread to bitch about it!
  12. bacillus1

bacillus1

Pharmacist
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Where I work, SA is how the long-acting form of pretty much every drug on our formulary shows up in our system (morphine SA, metoprolol SA, etc...).