Propranolol ER vs propranolol SA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronkoshy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1st of all how was the RX written? Propranolol ER, XL etc.? If so, sub what you want. Judging from what I could tell from the orange book website, it appears Innopran XL has a BX rating meaning that there is insufficient evidence to rate propranolol xl as a generic equivalent. Disclaimer: I'm not orange book expert and find it to be a very confusing reference. I'm guessing your computer just has two different manufacturers that are the same listed differently?

Hi,

I have a question regarding propranolol dispensing in the pharmacy. Is there a difference between propranolol SA capsules vs propranolol ER capsules? In the CVS computer, when I took MYLAN propranolol 60 ER caps, typed in the NDC, it registered as propranolol SA 60 mg caps.. So the computer was telling me they were the same thing. One pharmacist told me they weren't. Another pharmacist told me they were. I did my own little research into LexiComp and it says that propranolol SA caps are the generic for Inderal LA and propranolol ER/XL caps are the generic for InnoPran XL caps. Is there a difference between the generics? After all, the CVS computer said the ER was the SA.

I ask bc I know bupropion is available as IR, SR, and XL/ER. These 3 are all different. I just don't get propranolol SA 60 mg vs propranolol ER 60 mg.

Thanks

I don't get the same thing when I look at Lexi. I see that all the capsules are 24 hour preparations and all the tablets are immediate release. The Orange Book backs this up. Sounds like if the doctor wrote for InnoPran you have to use THAT specific product b/c of the BX rating. But if they just wrote for once daily propranolol (pick your strength) you should be good to use whatever capsule you have on hand. But you could check the orange book if you were uncertain about specific manufacturers.

Members don't see this ad :)
doctor wrote for propranolol sa 60 mg caps .. i typed it up, then the pharmacist says we don't have any in stock.. i go to the shelf and see propranolol er 60 mg caps and say.. why can't we use this, its the same thing right? he says no. so i call a near by cvs and the pharmacist says wtf is wrong with you ron, propranolol sa and er and xl caps are all the same thing, so i just did it like that..

i agree, if i get a script for innopran xl, i will type it out like that and let the computer do whatever substitution, same with inderal and inderal la. the confusing part here was the script was written for propranolol sa.

i checked orange book as well .. innopran xl has a bx rating for both of its strengths .. but how about it's generics? thats the confusing part..

Correct me if I'm wrong but Innopran doesn't come in a 60mg strength? In that case, I sub whatever generic propranolol Xl/ER 60mg cap I have.

Does anyone see a problem with this (and many other) threads?
Noone actually answered the question, then it wandered off in whatever direction the first response took it in. (The guy who didn't know but someone told him they are the same so he just started using them interchangeably.)
Does anyone actually know the difference? What do the SA, ER, etc etc stand for? Why were they designated as different in the first place (even if may be now they are truly not different)
I Am just complaining about the lack of scientific thinking and actual knowledge and verification that one would expect from people in a complex scientific field such as MEDICINE!!!

Unbelievable.

Extended release and sustained action. They are the same, just made by different companies... Now, if one was a tablet and the other was a capsule, they would be different.

In ths case they are the same and interchangeable.

Does anyone see a problem with this (and many other) threads?
Noone actually answered the question, then it wandered off in whatever direction the first response took it in. (The guy who didn't know but someone told him they are the same so he just started using them interchangeably.)
Does anyone actually know the difference? What do the SA, ER, etc etc stand for? Why were they designated as different in the first place (even if may be now they are truly not different)
I Am just complaining about the lack of scientific thinking and actual knowledge and verification that one would expect from people in a complex scientific field such as MEDICINE!!!

Unbelievable.

Lol...your first post is bitching about how off topic we go?

Awesome.

Where I work, SA is how the long-acting form of pretty much every drug on our formulary shows up in our system (morphine SA, metoprolol SA, etc...).