Pros and Cons and feedback of the Navy's Internship program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Compared to the other branches, it seems that Army deploys the longest (12 months) and Navy the shortest (6 months) with AF somewhere in between.

I've been making the rounds with all three - the Army deploys the longest currently, 12 months up to 18 mos, the Navy is next at 9-12 mos, and the Air Force is 6 mos up to 8 mos.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure where you got this info on AF deployments for psychologists, but from what I have been told it is not accurate. I'm applying right now for an AF internship, and the training directors have told me that deployments are minimum 6 months, and if you get attached to an Army unit it can be 8ish months. They also said that it's on a 6 months deployed/1 year at home cycle. Also, they emphasize that you WILL be deployed once you get licensed. Compared to the other branches, it seems that Army deploys the longest (12 months) and Navy the shortest (6 months) with AF somewhere in between.

From what I have been hearing, USAF is roughly on a 6 month cycle now, but they USED to be on a 4 month cycle for deployments. As you note, all deployments can be highly variable and there are no "guarantees" that come with deployments...

Good post!

Is it possible to see the list of assignment locations that last year's Navy interns got to select from?

USAF internship site Wilford Hall has a Facebook group where you can ask questions and get info about that particular site. Do either of the Navy internship sites have something like that? (That Wilford Hall page is where I go each spring to get the list of available USAF stations).

Members don't see this ad :)
Mark,

Venturing out on a limb (not sure if you know much about this, but it seems like there's a good chance), how comparable is what you've shared so far for board certified physicians wanting to work with the military? Also, are both academic (i.e. teaching residents/carrying out research) and strictly clinical jobs available, or is it mostly one or the other? I've thought previously about HPSP, but decided I would rather take on the debt to allow myself the residency/fellowship-selection freedom and employment freedom afterward if my interests were to change.

Thanks in advance!

Mark,

Venturing out on a limb (not sure if you know much about this, but it seems like there's a good chance), how comparable is what you've shared so far for board certified physicians wanting to work with the military?

Not sure what the real question is here?

Also, are both academic (i.e. teaching residents/carrying out research) and strictly clinical jobs available, or is it mostly one or the other?

Academic positions are available and more rare (when compared to the number of clinical positions). The same really applies to pure research positions. Now I'm not sure if you are speaking of psychologists or physicians here, but what I am saying is probably pretty accurate for both. Certainly you can participate in research within the confines of your clinical duties, but that's not the same.

I've thought previously about HPSP, but decided I would rather take on the debt to allow myself the residency/fellowship-selection freedom and employment freedom afterward if my interests were to change.

Thanks in advance!

I can understand the desire to retain that flexibility.

Not sure what the real question is here?

Sorry, you've said a whole lot about psychology training/employment in the military in this thread - I didn't really keep in mind that you've posted all the stuff I had in mind over the course of the past couple years.

-Do physicians undergo a comparable deployment routine to psychologists?
-If you're a lifer, how frequent are deployments, and do they all tend to be about the same duration you mentioned for that first deployment (3-12 mo)?
-Also if you're a lifer, how likely is it to get moved from station to station (against desire to do so) over the course of a career?

Thank you for the info

Have you checked out the physician forum dedicated to this? There's probably enough info to peruse for a week.

Sorry, you've said a whole lot about psychology training/employment in the military in this thread - I didn't really keep in mind that you've posted all the stuff I had in mind over the course of the past couple years.

-Do physicians undergo a comparable deployment routine to psychologists?
-If you're a lifer, how frequent are deployments, and do they all tend to be about the same duration you mentioned for that first deployment (3-12 mo)?
-Also if you're a lifer, how likely is it to get moved from station to station (against desire to do so) over the course of a career?

Thank you for the info

I really wish there were good solid answers to this, but there aren't.

There are some people that spend their whole careers in one area and there are others who move every three years at a minimum! In the USAF, I spent 9 years at one base, which is nearly unheard of in enlisted communities.

Deployments are sort of the same thing, in the Navy (as the Army), some billets are not eligible for deployment while others almost guarantee you a deployment. Without knowing what you plan to do, or how critical it is for you to remain in place, it's hard to know what your eligibility for deployment will be.

While you can certainly stack the deck to get assignments that might not be "deployable" that may entitle other sacrifices as well. Every career is different. I would say this much about the military, it is what you make of it. Personally, I can't imagine doing anything else... so I am biased.

Mark

From what I have been hearing, USAF is roughly on a 6 month cycle now, but they USED to be on a 4 month cycle for deployments. As you note, all deployments can be highly variable and there are no "guarantees" that come with deployments...

Good post!

The AF is telling applicants 6 months with a 2 month spin-up.

Have you checked out the physician forum dedicated to this? There's probably enough info to peruse for a week.

Thanks, I am, will spend some time there over christmas break probably

I really wish there were good solid answers to this, but there aren't.

There are some people that spend their whole careers in one area and there are others who move every three years at a minimum! In the USAF, I spent 9 years at one base, which is nearly unheard of in enlisted communities.

Deployments are sort of the same thing, in the Navy (as the Army), some billets are not eligible for deployment while others almost guarantee you a deployment. Without knowing what you plan to do, or how critical it is for you to remain in place, it's hard to know what your eligibility for deployment will be.

While you can certainly stack the deck to get assignments that might not be "deployable" that may entitle other sacrifices as well. Every career is different. I would say this much about the military, it is what you make of it. Personally, I can't imagine doing anything else... so I am biased.

Mark

Thanks for the info. Military has always been an interest of mine, and I think enlisted/vets would be a great patient population to serve. The decision is still a 8+ years down the road for me, though, and life is funny, so we'll see :) Thanks again

Is it possible to see the list of assignment locations that last year's Navy interns got to select from?

Anybody have access to this? Current interns on last year interns could probably access it quite easy.

Anybody have access to this? Current interns on last year interns could probably access it quite easy.

The list changes every year, but usually includes many large medical treatment facilities.

I expect to see the following places on this years list:

Japan
Italy
California
Portsmouth/Norfolk area
D.C. Area
Florida
Washington State
Connecticut
South/North Carolina
Chicago area

I don't have the list yet, but it shouldn't be much of a surprise to see many of the typical places on the list.

Sorry, I get very confused when I hear numbers thrown around and I just need some clarification. So, in your case, the 2000 refers to hours accrued on internship, right? I believe Erg was originally concerned about the person who claimed to have over 2900 hours before even applying to internship (let alone that year between applying and starting).

Also, maybe I'm figuring my hours incorrectly, but isn't it only clinical contact hours that are counted in this figure? I don't understand how you could have 2000 clinical contact hours over the course of a one-year internship. 40 x 52 = 2080, but that would mean seeing clients non-stop, full-time every day and every week. What about supervision, progress note writing, team meetings, etc? Are there really internships that expect you to carry a caseload of 40 face to face hours each week?

I believe they are talking about pre-internship hours. I will have over 2400 hours before I go to internship. I have been doing clinical practicum for 3 years during my masters and Psy.D. They combine them all in my program so that we gets very progressive study in the real world.

They give you now 3 options on your paperwork. Its up to you to look up the assignment locations. Check with your Navy Medical Officer Recruiter they can provide location information.

I believe they are talking about pre-internship hours. I will have over 2400 hours before I go to internship. I have been doing clinical practicum for 3 years during my masters and Psy.D. They combine them all in my program so that we gets very progressive study in the real world.

2400 total hours on site I can believe, but not 2400 clinical contact hours. I did 3.5 years of practica before internship and only had about 750 clinical contact hours.

what is "progresive study in the the real world?"

School of hard knocks. Yeaaaaaaaaaaa!

2400 total hours on site I can believe, but not 2400 clinical contact hours. I did 3.5 years of practica before internship and only had about 750 clinical contact hours.

I had essentially 5 year's worth of practica (we start seeing clients in our first year), the majority of which were assessment/neuro-heavy, and I didn't have 2400 face-to-face hours, either. Once you factor in no-shows and the like, those numbers really start to come down. Then again, in recent batches of internship applicants, I've seen the reported hours start shooting up, so I'm wondering if there's perhaps some degree of inflation going on (not saying that's what's happening here, mind you).

And end tangent.

One of the cons for the military internships is having to give up dual citizenship. I know that's not relevant for very many people, but I figured I'd put it out there. It was ultimately what kept me from applying to any of them; my future bank accounts still haven't gotten over the disappointment. Le sigh.

Just some questions: if you're on a clinical psychology scholarship from the Navy, get the doctorate from a state college, and don't go to USUHS, are you O1 (enlisted) or O3 (lieutenant) after the internship and when you start your career? How does the ranking/promotion system work with psychologists? Are you a rank as an intern and does the internship year count towards a promotion if they are time-scheduled? I couldn't find the info on the website while I was reading this thread and you guys seem to know a lot.

Just some questions: if you're on a clinical psychology scholarship from the Navy, get the doctorate from a state college, and don't go to USUHS, are you O1 (enlisted) or O3 (lieutenant) after the internship and when you start your career? How does the ranking/promotion system work with psychologists? Are you a rank as an intern and does the internship year count towards a promotion if they are time-scheduled? I couldn't find the info on the website while I was reading this thread and you guys seem to know a lot.

First of all, O1 isn't enlisted it's an office, hence the "O" :) It would be an ensign. Followed by LTJG (LT Junior Grade), then LT.

You'll enter internship (and finish internship) as O3. You'll remain O3 throughout your first tour (i.e. that 3-year service obligation you incur after your internship year). Not exactly sure how ranking/promotion works....you'll be an O3 throughout your first tour I know that. You have "windows" that come up where you are eligible to promote up in rank based on various service awards, recommendations, etc. etc. I think it comes up mid-way through a second tour (should you choose to take one). If you fail to make rank during that first window, you'll have another window some time later. However, if you fail to make rank two times as an LT, your service will end cause you can't do a third tour at O3. If you DO make O4 and never rank higher that's fine, you will NOT be booted b/c you can retire after 20 years at just the O4 level. Can't do it at O3 though. The internship year will technically count as a year toward promotion, but I think in the long run it's rather insignificant.

In my honest opinion, I think you're putting the buggy quite far ahead of the horse. I think for now the only thing that really maters to you is the first two sentences in the above paragraph, anything else is trying to walk before you crawl. You'll be O3 during internship and a couple years after for sure. Halfway through your service commitment (when you've got about a year to a year and a half left on your commitment) you'll need to decide if you want another tour. I'd say making rank comes into play around then, no need to worry about it while on internship.