Pros and Cons of the different military branches?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajj70

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My parent suggested I look into HPSP and I am giving it serious consideration. We have some family friends that went that route and also suggest I consider that. Is there a 'better" branch of the military to go into for dentists in general, or more specifically female dentists? If you are familiar with the programs, pros and cons for each branch?

Members don't see this ad.

Keep in mind that this is mostly anecdotal, but I do have a little knowledge on this. In general, the order of the branches for how "good" it is to be a dentist for each goes Air Force>Navy>Army. Air Force is the most competitive, and does not offer the $20,000 signing bonus, but it treats its dentist the best. You are more likely to be placed in a location that is more desirable. Also, I believe of the three branches it has the highest percentage of females. The Navy does offer the signing bonus, and does offer a variety of pretty cool locations, but keep in mind you will have to spend time on a ship, and you also take care of marines so anywhere they're stationed is somewhere you could end up. Navy is more competitive than the Army and less competitive than the Air Force. The Army also offers the signing bonus. From what I've heard, the Army has the shortest assignments (so you move more often) and its dentists don't have the same opportunities to perform a variety of procedures, as they do in the other branches. However, the scope of practice, experience with superiors, and relocation vary within each branch, so the individual situation has a lot more to do with your experience than the branch does. PM if you would like to get my Navy Recruiter's contact info, or would like to know anything else. I know a fair amount about the Navy HPSP application process. Hope this helps.

Are you on the Navy HPSP in dental school right now? What's your experience been like during the application process? How was MEPS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for that information. I'm applying to DS next year so I want to get everything in order before then as much as possible. I did find the Military board after I posted this :D. Can you apply to all 3 or do you have to pick one? Also, I asked on the military board, do you have to use a local recruiter or can you use anyone? If you can use anyone, I'll PM you for your recruiter since that person obviously has experience with the process. If that person is across the country from me, however, will that matter? I really won't have time to go visit the recruiter any time soon.

I am at work and shouldn't be on SDN, either at lunch or the end of they day I will PM both of you guys and see what I can do to help.

Thanks!!! and naughty, naughty, naughty!! :lol: