Pros and Cons of your DO School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The real answer is: NSUCOM is chocolate rivers and gum drop rain forests. No it's not. Cortaditos and coladas run the hospital. Gaudy gold jewelry and egos the size of the hospital run some of the scene down there. There is good and there is bad. Hot blood runs in the people there, defensive medicine more than evidenced based is practiced, knowledgeable to very unknowledgeable residents and attendings occupy the hospital floors. Anger, frustration, excitement, satisfaction, and fatigue will be among your emotions. If you do well, things like Ivy League residencies (not all, some) and Mayo Clinic are possible (and were done in my time and 1-2 years before and after my graduation). If you barely pass and your brain is filled with more factoids from the latest People magazine than anything you've learned in medical school well there are residencies we have for that too, i.e Larkin Community Hospital, filled with the laziest and/or dumbest residents I've ever encountered. If you fail year after year after year, the most I've ever heard is someone who's done preclinical for 4 years before getting kicked out. You can fail several classes, pass the remediations and get through, or repeat the year, or if you show a complete lack of motivation, actually get kicked out. I think among osteopathic schools there's definitely worse. But NSUCOM is not perfect by any means and don't ever attend expecting it will be. The game there is the same game played in every other osteopathic school and knowing the lay of the land and how to get the best circumstances for yourself will be key in becoming the doc you want to be.

Lol I don't want to believe a place could be as bad as people on here say Larkin is.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for the contributions so far!

Any love for AZCOM?

Reactions: 1 user
@FrkyBgStok , @LUCPM would you guys do one for DMU? Thanks!

you mean a pros and cons list? sure. I will try to be general because my pros and cons are vastly different due to my original location (i am a des moines resident with kids and support system here). also, all of these pros and cons are based on my experience and as a 4th year, things could have changed.

pros
- the curriculum is set up to have basic science year one with systems year two. to me, you get to see both the systems and traditional curriculum, but it is set up to do well on boards.
- research is drastically increasing around DMU, so if you are interested in that, great!
- DMU is actively trying to increase cultural awareness and diversity on the campus. some may feel this isn't that important, but it is.
- very family friendly atmosphere
- recorded lectures with audio and video available within 2 hours of class with minimal required classes. incredible!
- super accessible faculty. some professors hang around on campus until 10pm the night before the test to answer questions.
- most clubs than you can possibly get involved with, so you can get involved with anything.
- 4th year is very flexible which allows you to do auditions when you want and set up your two required rotations near the end.
- great gym with intramural sports and the DMU +1 allows your significant other or friend members on campus for super cheap (few bucks a year)
- all the obvious stuff (good boards, second DO school, well respected nationally, huge alumni network, etc.
- the SIM lab is awesome.

cons
- DMU is in a state of flux. we got a new dean my second year and he is leaving again. when we lost the last dean, some changes were made around campus (which could be considered good by many) and many professors left. they have some great ones that came, but it doesn't look good when there is a large faculty turnover. this is probably the biggest con of DMU.
- the 4th year is awesome for flexibility and I had an awesome clinical coordinator, but some felt frustrated because there was no guidance 4th year. it is free for you to do whatever, but you have to do it all.
- 3rd year rotations were based on a lottery system so there is no guarantee you will go what you want. I ended up very happy and most people I know were happy, but a few ended up places they didn't want to be.
- some of the obvious stuff if you are looking for something different, like wanting a big campus (DMU is small), wanting the college experience (DMU has other programs but the osteopathic program is the largest by far and that is it), etc.

I was very happy with DMU so you are just getting my opinion. I have many friends who are very frustrated with DMU, but there are a million reasons why and why not. go where you will be happy. I would go to DMU again in a heartbeat.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
you mean a pros and cons list? sure. I will try to be general because my pros and cons are vastly different due to my original location (i am a des moines resident with kids and support system here). also, all of these pros and cons are based on my experience and as a 4th year, things could have changed.

pros
- the curriculum is set up to have basic science year one with systems year two. to me, you get to see both the systems and traditional curriculum, but it is set up to do well on boards.
- research is drastically increasing around DMU, so if you are interested in that, great!
- DMU is actively trying to increase cultural awareness and diversity on the campus. some may feel this isn't that important, but it is.
- very family friendly atmosphere
- recorded lectures with audio and video available within 2 hours of class with minimal required classes. incredible!
- super accessible faculty. some professors hang around on campus until 10pm the night before the test to answer questions.
- most clubs than you can possibly get involved with, so you can get involved with anything.
- 4th year is very flexible which allows you to do auditions when you want and set up your two required rotations near the end.
- great gym with intramural sports and the DMU +1 allows your significant other or friend members on campus for super cheap (few bucks a year)
- all the obvious stuff (good boards, second DO school, well respected nationally, huge alumni network, etc.
- the SIM lab is awesome.

cons
- DMU is in a state of flux. we got a new dean my second year and he is leaving again. when we lost the last dean, some changes were made around campus (which could be considered good by many) and many professors left. they have some great ones that came, but it doesn't look good when there is a large faculty turnover. this is probably the biggest con of DMU.
- the 4th year is awesome for flexibility and I had an awesome clinical coordinator, but some felt frustrated because there was no guidance 4th year. it is free for you to do whatever, but you have to do it all.
- 3rd year rotations were based on a lottery system so there is no guarantee you will go what you want. I ended up very happy and most people I know were happy, but a few ended up places they didn't want to be.
- some of the obvious stuff if you are looking for something different, like wanting a big campus (DMU is small), wanting the college experience (DMU has other programs but the osteopathic program is the largest by far and that is it), etc.

I was very happy with DMU so you are just getting my opinion. I have many friends who are very frustrated with DMU, but there are a million reasons why and why not. go where you will be happy. I would go to DMU again in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the detailed review!

anything on pnwu
Just finished first semester there. Overall, I've been more impressed than I thought I was going to be.

Pros:
-Excellent professors for the most part in basic science courses (our Pharm professor is an absolute hero--MD, Phd.. the guy literally knows everything and is a fantastic teacher)
-Basic sciences are mashed together in a "scientific foundations of medicine" course, instead of taking physio, histo, biochem, etc. separate. Although I have heard complaints from others about that, so take it for what you will.
-Start systems toward the end of first semester (I really like this)
-Decent clinical skills course (given that we don't have an associated teaching hospital like an MD school would)--mix of standardized patients, practicing on each other in the lab, case presentations, H&P. There is room for improvement, but it still seems decent.
-Excellent environment amongst the students and faculty
-Lots of clubs and extracurricular opportunities (suturing clinics, chest tube placement, IV practice, intubation, etc.)

Cons:
-Research; I'm in the process of finding research now and there really isn't much going on here, although that shouldn't be too shocking
-Some lectures are pretty rough in the systems (but Pathoma fixes that)
-OPP is OPP. We spend a bit too much time on it IMO (~3 hrs/wk), but I guess that's not an insurmountable time commitment
-Clinical rotations are a bit spread out (but that is to be expected given the school's location and "mission") - don't be expecting to end up in Seattle for rotations unless you are from there. I can't comment the quality, as I'm not there yet, but I have heard positive and negative things about different sites (as with anything).

All in all, you have to take the good with the bad. I was told this before starting, and I'll pass along the message now: your education will be what you make of it. You will be given the materials and opportunities to thrive, but the end result is largely dependent on your work ethic and drive. Compared to other DO schools, I'm glad I chose to come here. Compared to MD schools? Probably not. Get into the best school that you can and you won't regret it. Let me know if I can provide any additional details.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just finished first semester there. Overall, I've been more impressed than I thought I was going to be.

Pros:
-Excellent professors for the most part in basic science courses (our Pharm professor is absolutely fantastic--I'd come here again just for him)
-Basic sciences are mashed together in a "scientific foundations of medicine" course, instead of taking physio, histo, biochem, etc. separate. Although I have heard complaints from others about that, so take it for what you will.
-Start systems toward the end of first semester (I really like this)
-Decent clinical skills course (given that we don't have an associated teaching hospital like an MD school would)--mix of standardized patients, practicing on each other in the lab, case presentations, H&P. There is room for improvement, but it still seems decent.
-Excellent environment amongst the students and faculty
-Lots of clubs and extracurricular opportunities (suturing clinics, chest tube placement, IV practice, intubation, etc.)

Cons:
-Research; I'm in the process of finding research now and there really isn't much going on here, although that shouldn't be too shocking
-Some lectures are pretty rough in the systems (but Pathoma fixes that)
-OPP is OPP. We spend a bit too much time on it IMO (~3 hrs/wk), but I guess that's not an insurmountable time commitment
-Clinical rotations are a bit spread out (but that is to be expected given the school's location and "mission") - don't be expecting to end up in Seattle for rotations unless you are from there. I can't comment the quality, as I'm not there yet, but I have heard positive and negative things about different sites (as with anything).

All in all, you have to take the good with the bad. I was told this before starting, and I'll pass along the message now: your education will be what you make of it. You will be given the materials and opportunities to thrive, but the end result is largely dependent on your work ethic and drive. Compared to other DO schools, I'm glad I chose to come here. Compared to MD schools? Probably not. Get into the best school that you can and you won't regret it. Let me know if I can provide any additional details.

thank you so much! if possible could you expand on clinical rotations

thank you so much! if possible could you expand on clinical rotations
All I know is that it's based on a points system. There are limited numbers of positions at each rotation site, so the spots go to those that have the most points in that area (from there, have spouse/family there, etc.). So for the sites where everyone wants to go to (Puyallup, Portland, Bellevue), if you're not from there, it's unlikely that you'll go there for rotations. As I mentioned, I'm only a first year--I would also like to know more about the quality of the clinical education at each site.

Any for ATSU-SOMA???? ;)

All I know is that it's based on a points system. There are limited numbers of positions at each rotation site, so the spots go to those that have the most points in that area (from there, have spouse/family there, etc.). So for the sites where everyone wants to go to (Puyallup, Portland, Bellevue), if you're not from there, it's unlikely that you'll go there for rotations. As I mentioned, I'm only a first year--I would also like to know more about the quality of the clinical education at each site.

Yeah if you get any updates on quality of sites let us know

Hey Hrdrock I have a quick question for you: does PNWU have graded or P/F courses? The student handbook is a little unclear though I assume it's pass/fail. Thank you for your input and I'll be joining you this fall!

Hey Hrdrock I have a quick question for you: does PNWU have graded or P/F courses? The student handbook is a little unclear though I assume it's pass/fail. Thank you for your input and I'll be joining you this fall!
We receive percent scores for all assignments and tests and >70% is pass (adjusted for particularly low average tests). Top 15% of each course receives honors. It's my understanding that they give us a class rank after our 2nd year as well. Congrats on your acceptance! Enjoy the time off in the mean time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any for ATSU-SOMA???? ;)

All I know is that they use a 1+3 system (1 year of dictatics and 3 years of training) as opposed to a traditional 2+2. This results in them having lower board scores, which is okay if all you want to do is primary care... but people almost constantly change their mind about that.

Also, as far as i can tell, the building is one giant building?

All I know is that they use a 1+3 system (1 year of dictatics and 3 years of training) as opposed to a traditional 2+2. This results in them having lower board scores, which is okay if all you want to do is primary care... but people almost constantly change their mind about that.

hmm... well according to SOMA's match list pamphlet I received during my interview there. there actually were other matches into areas such as EM, PMR, Anesthesiology, Diagnostic radiology, Orthopedic Surgery... oh, and Neurosurgery at Loma Linda. Not saying that there were A LOT of matches but nonetheless, there were folks who didn't want to do just primary care.

They must be doing something right then I guess? Hopefully there are more folks who can add something to SOMA's credibility! :)

hmm... well according to SOMA's match list pamphlet I received during my interview there. there actually were other matches into areas such as EM, PMR, Anesthesiology, Diagnostic radiology, Orthopedic Surgery... oh, and Neurosurgery at Loma Linda. Not saying that there were A LOT of matches but nonetheless, there were folks who didn't want to do just primary care.

They must be doing something right then I guess? Hopefully there are more folks who can add something to SOMA's credibility! :)

Hey again! I would suggest you look at the average board scores from schools and use that as a metric. Lots of DOs school match into stuff other than FM, it just depends at what rate they do it at. :)

You misunderstand the 1+3 curriculum at SOMA. The 2nd year is mostly didactic with a few half days of clinical work. The clinical work during second year is made possible by an extended and front-loaded first year.

I don't know the exact amount of weeks blocked off for step 1 prep at SOMA, but according to their current calendar it is almost nine weeks. The last few match lists indicate the right person can do really, really well at SOMA.

Reactions: 3 users
You misunderstand the 1+3 curriculum at SOMA. The 2nd year is mostly didactic with a few half days of clinical work. The clinical work during second year is made possible by an extended and front-loaded first year.

I don't know the exact amount of weeks blocked off for step 1 prep at SOMA, but according to their current calendar it is almost nine weeks. The last few match lists indicate the right person can do really, really well at SOMA.

Then i misunderstood! I turned down an interview their a few years ago because of those concerns. That sounds like a really nice amount of board prep time. :)

I don't know why this "1 year of didactics" thing won't die. It is true that you spend the 1st year at the main campus in Mesa, AZ and then for MS2 year you move to one of their CHC sites. However, during 2nd year you spend only about 1 day a week doing clinical stuff. The rest of the time is still didactics... via local faculty and video lecture. You still get 2 years of didactics.

At first I really didn't like the curriculum at ATSU-SOMA but now it's making a little more sense. I'm not a SOMA student btw.

Heck, some of the best schools in the nation have started adding clinical time during didactic to get the students curious.

Between blocks I try to do a little shadowing.

It's not for everyone but makes sense to me.

Can I get some pros/cons from a current WVSOM student? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At first I really didn't like the curriculum at ATSU-SOMA but now it's making a little more sense. I'm not a SOMA student btw.

Heck, some of the best schools in the nation have started adding clinical time during didactic to get the students curious.

Between blocks I try to do a little shadowing.

It's not for everyone but makes sense to me.

There was so much stuff 1st year where I thought "why the heck do we have to learn this? We're never going to use this." Well, now I know. We are going to use it.

NSUCOM

Pros
Great match
Great rotations
Great location and weather
Great osteopathic department
Beautiful women

Con
Expensive
High cost of living (rent etc.)
Admin can be inefficient

Lol I don't want to believe a place could be as bad as people on here say Larkin is.
Here's a comparison study you can try:
Step 1: Go to a TBI unit and talk to a patient there. Ask them how to read an EKG
Step 2: Go to Larkin Community Hospital and talk to a medical school graduate doing residency there. Ask them how to read an EKG
Repeat Steps 1 and 2, except with other subjects such as hyponatremia, potassium replacement, diabetes management, etc.

NSUCOM

Pros
Great match
Great rotations
Great location and weather
Great osteopathic department
Beautiful women

Con
Expensive
High cost of living (rent etc.)
Admin can be inefficient

I was definitely one of the overly stressed medical student types, and I couldn't stop worrying about the next test and the next step because while there were some classes that I did fine in, there were others that I passed by the skin of my teeth. Overall, it's okay, bottom line is I finished medical school and 2016-2017 will be my last year of residency and the future is bright. Still though, still...a missed opportunity for sure.

I was definitely one of the overly stressed medical student types, and I couldn't stop worrying about the next test and the next step because while there were some classes that I did fine in, there were others that I passed by the skin of my teeth. Overall, it's okay, bottom line is I finished medical school and 2016-2017 will be my last year of residency and the future is bright. Still though, still...a missed opportunity for sure.
Lol. I'm at NSUCOM and I just love the women here man. I can't get enough of them. They must be putting something in the water to make them look so good.

What type of residency are you in?

Confession here: I read a ton of your posts before deciding on NSU.

Studying for Boesler's OPP right now. Exam and practical tomorrow. Yikes.

We had FACR last Friday - which was a joke.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I'll add to pros:
Great professional network in South Florida
Recorded lectures
The beach

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Anything on MSUCOM specifically DMC and Macomb campuses?

If you look back 2 pages or so I did one on LMU.

Hey MiaMia,

Thanks, yeah I saw this. I have actually read the entire forum. I was seeing if there are any recent M2s with the new faculty change at LMU as far as Sciences. This is one of my top schools and they seem to have their stuff together even though they are a fairly new school. Everyone I have talked to over there has been extremely nice and helpful, so the first impressions I have gotten from this school are outstanding. Some of the other schools I have contacted do not seem to be near as organized.

I was also curious about any updates on VCOM-CC? That is another school nearing the top of my list.

Anything recent for TCOM? Last post about the school was a few years ago

Anything recent for Oklahoma State?

I believe they have a huge in-state bias. So if you are not from Oklahoma its pretty hard to get in there, otherwise its a solid DO program. Every private DO school has one major drawback these days, tuition.

Any ACOM opinions? I've received an II here.

ACOM:

Pros:
Cost of living
Tuition is low/average for DO schools
Solid clinical faculty & training
Solid OMT faculty & training
Solid clinical skills preparation
3/4th year rotations have many options, you can do electives for nearly all of 4th year and several electives in 3rd year
About 20 different rotation core sites in large cities such as Bham, Tally, Mobile, Huntsville (All through the AMEC pathway)

Cons:
Dothan has pretty much nothing to offer for your 1st two years (entertainment, food, interests)
Closest meaningful airport/large city is Tallahassee nearly 2 hrs away.
Southeast Alabama is hot as hell

Neither here nor there:
Attendance policy (not 100%) and dress code (not that strong)
ACOM would love to see you become a good family doctor

Synopsis:
ACOM is adequate for the 1/2 years and solid for the 3/4 years and on par for a 4th year school. An average or above average COMLEX is attainable. You will be well prepared for clinical rotations with many opportunities to pursue your field of interest.

Last edited:
ACOM:

Pros:
Cost of living
Tuition is low/average for DO schools
Solid clinical faculty & training
Solid OMT faculty & training
Solid clinical skills preparation
3/4th year rotations have many options, you can do electives for nearly all of 4th year and several electives in 3rd year
About 20 different rotation core sites in large cities such as Bham, Tally, Mobile, Huntsville (All through the AMEC pathway)

Cons:
Dothan has pretty much nothing to offer for your 1st two years (entertainment, food, interests)
Closest meaningful airport/large city is Tallahassee nearly 2 hrs away.
Southeast Alabama is hot as hell

Neither here nor there:
Attendance policy (not 100%) and dress code (not that strong)
ACOM would love to see you become a good family doctor

Synopsis:
ACOM is adequate for the 1/2 years and solid for the 3/4 years and on par for a 4th year school. An average or above average COMLEX is attainable. You will be well prepared for clinical rotations with many opportunities to pursue your field of interest.

Do you feel there's adequate time being put aside for both comlex and usmle?

There needs to be a way to efficiently archive all the posts for each school accordingly so you wouldn't have to sift through all the pages wondering if your school's already been talked about.

Can I get some pros/cons from a current WVSOM student? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Third year here. I'm a 'glass half full' kinda guy so my opinion may not resemble others. WVSOM isn't perfect, but I doubt any school is.

WVSOM:

Pros:
Beautiful campus with multiple buildings (not all in one building like some schools).
Brand new student center.
Only a DO school (no nursing, PA school, etc.). As a result, we are the center of attention.
Faculty do a superb job of tailoring the curriculum to fit out ideas and concerns.
Faculty are intelligent and enjoy teaching.
Top notch OMT instruction.
Cost of living
Plenty of study time for USMLE/COMLEX. We ended classroom work end of March.

Cons:
Small town, not a ton to do. Roanoke, VA is 1.5 hours away
Rotations can be hit/miss (I think majority are good, but some you have to put in a lot of effort to make them good)
High tuition cost for OOS

WVSOM also may be going private, which will drive down tuition for OOS, but that's still TBD.

Happy to answer any questions anyone has about WVSOM, I've had a great experience there so far overall. I felt well prepared come boards time.

Last edited:
Do you feel there's adequate time being put aside for both comlex and usmle?
Yes. I think we had 2 weeks of part time studies before a 6 week full time study period for comlex.

However I don't think that time is a huge determining factor for doing well on comlex

Yes. I think we had 2 weeks of part time studies before a 6 week full time study period for comlex.

However I don't think that time is a huge determining factor for doing well on comlex

Aren't the two tests similar enough anyway where if you study for one of them, you're kinda already preparing for the other? Not that you should only stick to studying one of them of course.

Last edited:
Aren't the two tests similar enough anyway where if you study for one of them, you're kinda already preparing for the other? Not that you should only stick to studying one of them of course.
True enough. If you study and do well on NBMEs for USMLE, most should just need a run through of savarese to get ready for COMLEX.

I was saying that COMLEX is a pretty crappy exam and not as easy to prepare for as USMLE. If I had another 2 weeks of study I think I would score higher on USMLE, but I do not think it would change my COMLEX score much...COMLEX is worded funny, the videos/photos can be crappy and overall I think it is harder to fully prepare for.

Thank said, USMLE is considered a harder exam because of the level it tests you to and the depth of biochem/physio, which COMLEX doesn't hit as hard.

Thanks for the reply. In regards to the 3/4th year rotations, are the hospitals and preceptorship far away where students have to relocate not by choice?

True enough. If you study and do well on NBMEs for USMLE, most should just need a run through of savarese to get ready for COMLEX.

I was saying that COMLEX is a pretty crappy exam and not as easy to prepare for as USMLE. If I had another 2 weeks of study I think I would score higher on USMLE, but I do not think it would change my COMLEX score much...COMLEX is worded funny, the videos/photos can be crappy and overall I think it is harder to fully prepare for.

Thank said, USMLE is considered a harder exam because of the level it tests you to and the depth of biochem/physio, which COMLEX doesn't hit as hard.

Just curious here, obviously I don't know what field I would like to go into yet but I want to know what happens if someone decides to pursue a specialty. What kind of resources are there for someone who decides they want to do a specialty? Like GS for example, are there mentorship opportunities? How open is the school to helping advise these students? If someone decides to pursue a specialty are they going to be doing it all on their own?

Just curious here, obviously I don't know what field I would like to go into yet but I want to know what happens if someone decides to pursue a specialty. What kind of resources are there for someone who decides they want to do a specialty? Like GS for example, are there mentorship opportunities? How open is the school to helping advise these students? If someone decides to pursue a specialty are they going to be doing it all on their own?

That sounds like a question I should have thought of for the interviews. I think this is something you'd have to ask the people at school, as it may differ depending on who you ask.

Thanks for the reply. In regards to the 3/4th year rotations, are the hospitals and preceptorship far away where students have to relocate not by choice?
Rotation sites range from Mobile Alabama to Tallahassee Florida all the way up to Huntsville and Birmingham Alabama most of the students to relocate as only a small percentage actually stay in the Dothan hospital. However, most students find the two years in Dothan is... Sufficient. Students get to rank and their programs and submit a list. The school has had good success in getting the most number of students to the spot they want.

Rotation sites range from Mobile Alabama to Tallahassee Florida all the way up to Huntsville and Birmingham Alabama most of the students to relocate as only a small percentage actually stay in the Dothan hospital. However, most students find the two years in Dothan is... Sufficient. Students get to rank and their programs and submit a list. The school has had good success in getting the most number of students to the spot they want.

In your opinion, which site gives the best rotation experience?

Edit: The Dothan hospital is SAMC right?