Pros/Cons of taking a Gap Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ethereal_goldfish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am currently a senior about to graduate this upcoming June. I had planned on applying this upcoming cycle, but I am having second thoughts on whether I should apply or take a gap year. I would really appreciate your opinion/advice!

I currently attend UC Davis, majoring in Animal Science. I would not say my GPA is horrible (3.34), but I know it's definitely not great. I am planning on taking the GRE this summer and have around 200 SA experience, and 150+ lab experience, so overall I don't have much experience compared to the "average" that is listed on most vet websites. Honestly, I don't feel like a competitive applicant with my GPA and experience alone, so that is why I am debating on taking a gap year to boost up those experience hours and study/do well on the GRE. I'm not sure if I should just apply this cycle and see if I get in anywhere, or just wait until I am fully prepared/confident that I WILL at least get accepted to a school.

What are some pros/cons of taking gap years. I don't know why, but for some reasons, I have major anxiety about getting "old" and delaying going to vet school, which is why I feel like I should just apply this year, even though I don't really feel prepared.... (sorry, if that didn't make much sense, I know it's kind of stupid :\)

Any advice would really help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Pro: You get to start working and paying off loans or saving up for the expensive application process.

Con: Taking a gap year will basically mean taking 2 because the application process is almost a year long. This can feel very long for some people.

Reactions: 1 users
Best thing I've done yet. Yes I was forced to so it but I don't regret it at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can afford it, it might be a good idea to go ahead and apply to your IS school, while continuing to get experience. Technically you'll already be taking a gap year, as the VMCAS will be due in September and if you get in you wouldn't be matriculating until the next August/September. If you don't get in, you can get some feedback from that school and you will have a good idea of how the whole process works, plus you'll be in a better spot to reapply with more experience (and then you can look into applying to more schools). If you do get in, then great!

ETA: I personally added over 550 hours to my vet experience by working full time as a vet assistant over one summer, so it is doable to get a good amount of hours in within that time frame.

Get a job in the field you like, pursue a hobby, plan a major life event (like a wedding if you need to), retake some classes to make yourself a better a applicant. Just about anything you want to so honestly. This past year I've been able to hang out with friends and nice amount, go to CE conferences and build relationships with different drug and food companies in our field and get applicable experience.

Pro: more experiences (life, animal, research, do better on GRE etc...)

Con: you do not go through the application experience, that would be my only regret.

Don't panic about getting old, more experience and a greater variety will make you a stronger student in vet school.

In my opinion, if cost is not an issue it doesn't hurt to try and apply just to go through the process. That in itself is experience and is helpful.

I was right there with you in terms of not having the greatest stats and experience. Got into Davis with a 3.4 science GPA and a 3.62 last 45 unit gpa and only 500 hours of veterinary experience. Just an FYI, if Davis is your top choice, then taking a gap year for added experience won't help you much. They revamped their admissions process and they really only look at your GPA, GRE, and PPI, and they also make sure that you have at least 180 hours of experience. However, they don't consider someone with 3000 hours of experience more favorable than someone with 500 hours of experience. I guess their reasoning is that you will learn all that you need to know in the school, and they feel that 180 hours is sufficient enough to get a feel for if you want to pursue the profession and gain some insight into the profession as well. (you never really know though until you actually start going to vet school and practicing from what people tell me haha). Also, as far as I'm aware, they don't read VMCAS recs and your personal statement either. If you make it past the first cut and get called for an interview, your application gets thrown away and you start from a clean slate along with everone else who made it to the interview. (Only a small percentage of applicants are offered an interview) Then based on how you do in your MMI interview, you will get ranked, and if you make it into the top 140 you gain a spot in the class.

However, if you are intending to apply to other programs out of state then taking a gap year in order to gain experience and pad your resume will most definitely help your chances. Also, it gives you more time to get a good score on the GRE.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I know, right? God, I wouldn't want to be one of those OLD people in vet school. Like, I mean, geez, there are people in their late 20s and early 30s in vet school! Gross!
The old people in vet school are the worst...they're always so rude and snarky!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For the love of God, take a gap year.

I WISH I had taken a gap year. Looking back, it is honestly one of the top things I would have changed about my entire career path. The real-world experience and break from academia will be immensely beneficial.

I'm currently taking a gap year and I love it! I didn't apply to vet school during my senior year of undergrad just because I was really short on experience hours. So I took a year off and started my application this past summer (while cramming in as many experience hours as possible throughout my senior year & the summer). I'm currently working as a substitute teacher because in my school district all you need is a bachelors in any degree. At my interviews they seemed really interested in my gap year and thought that subbing was a good challenge.

Pros: Not having to worry about undergrad courses while prepping for GRE
Time to relax/reboot and spend with family/friends
Save up money for the expensive application and deposit fees

Cons: A little bit of worry about getting out of good studying habits
Finally having a taste of a social life just to give it up after the gap year :yeahright:

I'm sure its different for everyone but for me the gap year was a great idea!

Cons: A little bit of worry about getting out of good studying habits

Don't give that one a second thought. Your study habits have to change anyway in vet school. And if you come in after a year of relatively relaxing fun adventure you'll be in a much better place to hit the ground running.

I mean, I went back to school after more than a decade away, and I was able to adapt. You'll be fine.

I only just graduated last June and took a gap year, applying for the cycle after I graduated and will be attending SGU this coming August. It is the best thing I could've done for myself. It has given me the opportunity to work and gain experience and money to save/get things I need to move to school. It also gave my brain some R&R before heading into what will be the most difficult years of my education. I also get to spend time with friends and family before leaving. I've started paying off student loans, although that is honestly a joke. I will not be making any significant dent in paying off my loans, but at least its a start...I had a lot of anxiety about becoming "stuck" with moving back home and not going anywhere for a year while I watched many friends head off to pursue graduate degrees or others not finding any jobs in their field and having to work at the local grocery store or mall. At some point those feelings went away and I just went about getting a job as a veterinary assistant, new volunteer opportunities, and started working on applications. Then when interviews came, I didn't have to worry about traveling expenses because I had a job, and I didn't have to worry about missing classes or exams. I haven't once regretted my decision to take a gap year and I know I'm better off for it.

I'm technically taking a gap year right now. Graduated in December, and my second try this season didn't really cut it out for me, and I had to make a hard decision to continue my gap. But I'm currently gaining some great real-life research experience, as well as having time to shadow an equine chiropractor. I've managed it where my schedule is mine and flexible, and you can't beat the feeling of coming home and not having to crack open a book after a full day of working, which is what I was used to in my undergrad.

I took 2 gap years, and the life/work experience I gained in the real world was totally worth it! It also made my application really strong.

Another person in favor of taking a gap year, or two, for all of the reasons others have stated. I don't think I would have gotten in right out of college. I've also had enough time away from school and studying that I'm looking forward to it (which will probably last all of one week, but still).

I know, right? God, I wouldn't want to be one of those OLD people in vet school. Like, I mean, geez, there are people in their late 20s and early 30s in vet school! Gross!
Sorry if this offended you, but you also didn't have to be snarky with it. I never said I found "old" people gross. There has been a lot of health problems in my family and I only meant I didn't want to delay having a legitimate career since I want to take care of my family financially as soon as possible; so that is what I meant about having anxiety about getting older.

Sorry if this offended you, but you also didn't have to be snarky with it. I never said I found "old" people gross. There has been a lot of health problems in my family and I only meant I didn't want to delay having a legitimate career since I want to take care of my family financially as soon as possible; so that is what I meant about having anxiety about getting older.
latest

LIS is our token Old Man on the forums. He's just having some self-fun. Probably a side affect of the meds.

Thanks everyone for your replies and advice! It has definitely made me think that taking a gap year won't be so bad. Sometimes I just need some reassurance from people that everything will be okay as long as I keep on track! Again, thanks so much for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it!

OMG relax. Uptight much? If I were seriously offended, I wouldn't have been snarky, I would have called you out.....

I miss the days where people appreciated snark and sarcasm.. those were good days. They seem to by dying fast now into the "let's be unicorns and glittery poop happy" whenever we say anything to anyone.

OMG! I knew the post was intended to be funny and sarcastic. However, I did state in my original description that I had ANXIETY over the issue, so I was being serious about it.... I'm sorry if I didn't interpret the post as it was intended, and sorry @LetItSnow for calling you snarky (no sarcasm here!). I just wanted some serious advice, but now people on the forum think I can't handle a joke/sarcasm. :\ :wtf: and yes maybe I am a little uptight, but who wouldn't be if they have family members with chronic health problems?

Last edited:
OMG! I knew the post was intended to be funny and sarcastic. However, I did state in my original description that I had ANXIETY over the issue, so I was being serious about it.... I'm sorry if I didn't interpret the post as it was intended, and sorry @LetItSnow for calling you snarky (no sarcasm here!). I just wanted some serious advice, but now people on the forum think I'm uptight and can't handle a joke/sarcasm. :\ :wtf:

Lol. I am snarky, so you're not wrong. It's just.... yanno.... don't be P.O.d when you say something kinda tactless (like implying that it's such an awful thing to be a bit older when you go to vet school) and someone teases you about it.

Anyway, if it truly is making you THAT anxious, I think you should maybe sit back and talk out loud to yourself and have a conversation like: "Am I really that anxious over being ONE year older when I start vet school? Or even two? Or three? Is it going to make a huge dramatic life-changing difference if I start now versus 2 years? Exactly, precisely, specifically what difference do I think it's going to make?" I'm kinda serious about the out loud part. I think if you actually sat and rationally thought through this particular anxiety, you'd see that it's kinda silly - you're letting yourself get anxious about something that truly doesn't matter. Pretend a friend was telling you about this anxiety. You'd probably be nice to her because she's your friend, but inside you'd be thinking "Really? This is your big fear? Being a year older when you start vet school? I don't get it."

You'll be fine regardless of which way you decide to go. A gap year or two is a great chance - that you may not get again - to do something fun and interesting. On the flip side, getting through vet school more quickly gives you that much more time to pay back loans and get ahead of the financial curve. If I were in your shoes (which I'm guessing is younger and single, though I obviously don't know) *I'd* look at a gap year as a great thing. But if it's going to stress you out that much ..... then don't do it. If you can't manage the anxiety by trying to adjust your perspective to something more rational (not insulting you - even you said you "I know it's kinda stupid"), then managing it by not doing what makes you anxious. Yanno?

When I read your post, it sounds like you WANT to start right away but you're just concerned over how competitive you can be. So the solution is pretty straightforward: apply and see how it goes. Maybe you're more competitive than you think. Maybe you can wow them with an amazing personal statement or interview. Whatever. And if you don't get accepted, you'll have spent all the time in between building experience, maturing, and figuring out how to do it better next time around just like any repeat applicant.

yes maybe I am a little uptight, but who wouldn't be if they have family members with chronic health problems?

I have family members with severe chronic health problems and I've been told I likely have the same problems just not enough symptoms to get an actual diagnosis. I'm not anxious about getting older. I had two years between undergrad and vet school, granted I was applying during that time. I'd suggest if having some family with chronic health issues is giving you that much anxiety that maybe it's time to talk to a Dr or counselor about it. Not saying this to be mean, but maybe it'll help you feel less anxious. I get how hard it is when family is sick, trust me, my mom's been in the hospital twice in the last 2 months for issues and one of the times she was near death (low potassium is nothing to mess with). Maybe talking to someone about it or getting more info about the specific health issues will help with the anxiety?

yes maybe I am a little uptight, but who wouldn't be if they have family members with chronic health problems?

You do realize that most people could say that, right?

Even more to the point, there are any number of people on this forum who actually HAVE chronic health problems, not just "have family members" with them.

You may want to consider trying to be more tactful. Just sayin'. You're getting all anxious over ghosts.

Take the gap year. I didn't and I regret it. I started vet school right after 4 years of undergrad. And now I'm 30 with chronic health issues. Life is going to surprise you no matter what you plan for, you might as well have a little bit of fun.

You do realize that most people could say that, right?

Even more to the point, there are any number of people on this forum who actually HAVE chronic health problems, not just "have family members" with them.

You may want to consider trying to be more tactful. Just sayin'. You're getting all anxious over ghosts.

Yes I do understand "most" people can say this. I don't understand how I'm being insensitive towards people with health problems? Or those who have family members with health problems? My anxieties are not irrelevant or unimportant....

(Again, sorry for anyone that I might have offended! I'll make sure to be more sensitive in what I say :()

Regardless, can we just stop this, please? I'll make sure to post about specific vet-related issues in the future on these forums.... Believe me, I regret posting about my anxieties originally. :(:(

Lol. I am snarky, so you're not wrong. It's just.... yanno.... don't be P.O.d when you say something kinda tactless (like implying that it's such an awful thing to be a bit older when you go to vet school) and someone teases you about it.
Sorry if I implied that; that was not my intention at all! :oops:

I have family members with severe chronic health problems and I've been told I likely have the same problems just not enough symptoms to get an actual diagnosis. I'm not anxious about getting older. I had two years between undergrad and vet school, granted I was applying during that time. I'd suggest if having some family with chronic health issues is giving you that much anxiety that maybe it's time to talk to a Dr or counselor about it. Not saying this to be mean, but maybe it'll help you feel less anxious. I get how hard it is when family is sick, trust me, my mom's been in the hospital twice in the last 2 months for issues and one of the times she was near death (low potassium is nothing to mess with). Maybe talking to someone about it or getting more info about the specific health issues will help with the anxiety?
I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I hope she is doing better! Thank you for your advice, it's definitely something I have been thinking about lately.

Last edited:
Sorry if I implied that; that was not my intention at all! :oops:

It's OK! Don't feel beat up! You're fine! Nobody's even angry with you! Especially not me.

Can you see how saying "geez, I'm anxious because I don't want to be OLD when I go to vet school!" (paraphrasing - those weren't your exact words) could imply that it's somehow bad to be old when you go to vet school? It's like saying "Ewwww.... I wouldn't want to live over in THAT part of town" --- to someone who lives over in 'that part of town'.

Honestly, I'm not even personally offended. I don't care. I was just teasing you a bit because I am old. All I'm really saying is that you're having anxieties about things _you aren't even experiencing_ (being old, chronic health problems).... which seems kinda silly. Don't make life hard by being anxious about things that you largely can't control or that aren't effecting you yet. :)

Here's the best advice I have: The most important thing is that you should just make a decision one way or the other and them mentally/emotionally commit to that choice. Most of the time when I've faced major decisions in life, the anxiety of MAKING the decision goes away once I just commit to the choice. Even if I'm not sure if it's the BEST decision. Yanno? Just making it frees you up to move forward in life.