Pros vs cons of medschool roommates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PanRoasted

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently deciding between having either all incoming MS-1 roommates, or having a mix of MS-1 and non-medical school roommates. All recent college grads in both cases.

Would people who have lived in either situation be able to comment on the pros and cons of each scenario? I mostly want to know whether it's beneficial to have a place to escape to that's not related to med school, or whether it's nice to have everyone in the house be on the same page as far as schedules and stuff go. Either way, I would be living in a community of condominiums that all house a lot of med students.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently deciding between having either all incoming MS-1 roommates, or having a mix of MS-1 and non-medical school roommates. All recent college grads in both cases.

Would people who have lived in either situation be able to comment on the pros and cons of each scenario? I mostly want to know whether it's beneficial to have a place to escape to that's not related to med school, or whether it's nice to have everyone in the house be on the same page as far as schedules and stuff go. Either way, I would be living in a community of condominiums that all house a lot of med students.

Thanks!

I've lived alone first year, and I'm pretty happy that way. If I had to have roommates, I'd definitely choose medical students: hopefully with some non-med. student neighbors.

Study space and time at home are a necessity for me though, it all depends on you/your priorities. If you're the type of person who can just study at school, you'll be fine with either (provided you can sleep).

Congratulations, and good luck!

Edit: It's probably also relevant that I'm engaged.

first piece of advice would be to limit the number of roommates you have. I had 3 in med school and it worked well but there were people who had more and there was drama. the more people you throw into the equation the more potential for drama and distractions.

it's probably best to start off with med student roommates. the last thing you'd want would be your roommate throwing a big party or having people over making noise until 3AM the weekend before a big test. If your roommates are med students they'll have the same need for quiet time. You also don't want to be dealing with them potentially moving out after a year or two which they would be more prone to do.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that if u have to have roommates for it to be a med student. I lived with a law student for the 1st year and oh em gee! I hated it with a passion and moved out immediately after my lease was up. She didn't understand the concept of quiet and the fact that I needed to study. She would be up with guest at all hours of the night, knowing I needed to study. She had a dog, which I didn't mind, except she never watched the dog so the poor dog would come in my room and lay in my bed :/ I just recommend a med student roommate because they would understand a little bit better. just my .02 cents

I would also recommend a medical student roommate. They will have the same study schedule as you (generally) and will have greater respect for the quiet that you need.

Non-medical school roommates could be a more severe distraction.

I'll +1 on having med school roommates. You'll all be on the same schedule, so you'll have quiet during test week, and all be ready to go party it up the weekend after the test.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree that if u have to have roommates for it to be a med student. I lived with a law student for the 1st year and oh em gee! I hated it with a passion and moved out immediately after my lease was up. She didn't understand the concept of quiet and the fact that I needed to study. She would be up with guest at all hours of the night, knowing I needed to study. She had a dog, which I didn't mind, except she never watched the dog so the poor dog would come in my room and lay in my bed :/ I just recommend a med student roommate because they would understand a little bit better. just my .02 cents

They have to live it up while they can.

How about not having any roommates for an extra 2-300 per month?

I had med student roommates throughout the four years of med school, but had one non-med roommate first year as well. She was in general weird, so it was not at all a good fit for us (she was one of the all natural all organic vegan super people), and we had quite a bit of conflict because of it. Med students of the same year as you will in general have the same schedule--they will have exams at the same time, breaks at the same time, etc, and so you won't feel so bad letting off steam after an exam or something of that nature.

Then again, the roommate that I lived with second and third year, though a med student, was a horrible fit as well and I had a miserable third year because of it. So just try to find people that you click with and have the same attitudes about public areas, noise levels, etc.

My grades were higher during MS2 when I lived with fellow close friend classmates, than when I lived with close friends from undergrad during MS1. I wonder why...

There are upsides and downsides to all the options, it really depends on you. Having med school roommates is nice because you are all going through the same thing, can help each other out, etc but there definitely were times where I wanted to get away from the medical school scene, and that's hard to do when that's your living situation. Non-medical roommates could be good for that purpose but then you also run the risk of them having completely different lifestyles and that can serve as a distraction for a variety of reasons. It really depends on the people.

One thing to keep in mind is that just because you'd be living with other medical students doesn't mean they're necessarily going to stay on the same schedule as you. When I was in that situation, my roommates stayed up later than me and that sometimes caused problems for me when I wanted to go to bed at a more normal time, but that also depends on how your apartment is laid out, how sound proof walls are, etc.

In the end I got to a point where I couldn't deal with having roommates anymore. Nice to have people around when you want it but for me nothing beats doing things my way and being able to do what I want when I want without dealing with roommate issues. Med school is stressful enough as it is. But like I said this all really depends on what you prefer and what the other people are like regardless of them being med students or not.

How about not having any roommates for an extra 2-300 per month?

I would personally take that in a heartbeat. I did roommates (sharing a bedroom) throughout college and had some issues here and there. I knew I could hang out with friends when I wanted, and didn't want the extra distractions. That plus transitioning from headphones to speakers was so awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks!
I live in a building close to school that is filled with M 1-4, Residents, Nursing, Public Health and Hospital personnel. I lived with three non med students and it worked out great, we passed in the night, dif. schedules. My friend lived with all M-1's and he was suicidal. I had roommates in undergrad and then lived alone in grad school, heaven was what that was. I think one roommate is what I hope for M-2, waiting to hear. I would rather not be with another M student. Anyone that I know that is rooming with someone in the same program does not like it. Honestly, if I could afford to live in a 1 bdrm then I would.

I would rather not be with another M student. Anyone that I know that is rooming with someone in the same program does not like it. Honestly, if I could afford to live in a 1 bdrm then I would.
Maybe bc they feel competitive against eachother?

Positive: you save money

Negative: everything else

Reactions: 5 users
I would personally take that in a heartbeat. I did roommates (sharing a bedroom) throughout college and had some issues here and there. I knew I could hang out with friends when I wanted, and didn't want the extra distractions. That plus transitioning from headphones to speakers was so awesome.
When we talk about having roommates we always mean everyone has their own room. Sharing a bedroom is not acceptable beyond college

Reactions: 4 users
When we talk about having roommates we always mean everyone has their own room. Sharing a bedroom is not acceptable beyond college
LOL! Med student roommates on bunk beds.

I lived alone in an apartment for my first year but will be transitioning to living with other med students for next year. It allowed me to find some nice down-to-earth people I get along with who understand the importance of being quiet. As much as I enjoyed my alone time, I think it was too much alone time. I hated apartment living though because of neighbors who have no regard for anyone else who lives around them and paper-thin walls. I hope to never be in an apartment again for a long while.

TLDR for this thread:

Introverts: Why on earth wouldn't you live alone OP?
Extroverts: But he'd be lonely!

Introverts: ..........why?

Reactions: 11 users
Roommates mean sharing the apartment, not bedrooms. Have never done that one, lol. Our apt is huge. Regarding the competitive thing, well that seems to be everyone here. I have competitive in my DNA. I like the idea of my roommates having a separate schedule then me. Plus on the minimum down time the subject matter is different, a little bit of an escape. My mentor lives with three other M-2's and she said its hell. My friend that I am with all day in school lives with 3 m-1's and he also said it is hell. Sorry, but neither one said exactly why.

Roommates mean sharing the apartment, not bedrooms. Have never done that one, lol. Our apt is huge. Regarding the competitive thing, well that seems to be everyone here. I have competitive in my DNA. I like the idea of my roommates having a separate schedule then me. Plus on the minimum down time the subject matter is different, a little bit of an escape. My mentor lives with three other M-2's and she said its hell. My friend that I am with all day in school lives with 3 m-1's and he also said it is hell. Sorry, but neither one said exactly why.
Is the mentor also an M-2? Makes sense why he hates it. You friend is she an M-1? Makes sense why she hates it. If she's not an M-1, still makes sense why she hates it bc M-1s are getting acclimated and trying to get thru M-1. Could also be your institution which tends to have a rep.

Maybe bc they feel competitive against eachother?
Competition is good. I think it is wanting a moment of an escape, it only for a night. Everything is already about Med and exams and research. I like the dif schedules. Really hoping to get one of the two bedroom apts. in this building. I heard that M-2 I be home even less then I am now so it won't matter. There are interns here that still have roommates. It is more cost effective. Think cost, it matters to most.

Competition is good. I think it is wanting a moment of an escape, it only for a night. Everything is already about Med and exams and research. I like the dif schedules. Really hoping to get one of the two bedroom apts. in this building. I heard that M-2 I be home even less then I am now so it won't matter. There are interns here that still have roommates. It is more cost effective. Think cost, it matters to most.
There's a difference between competition and being competitive. Having students in a different year than you as roommates can help tamp those competitive feelings down. Interns living with roommates makes sense as you've already made it out and your salary sucks.

I was unclear. I understand that living with someone in medical school would definitely entail my own bedroom (and my own bathroom, ideally). That being said, I still preferred living by myself since the cost difference per month was not that massive.

Everyone talks about sharing bedrooms/bathrooms, but what about sharing a kitchen? That would suck.

TLDR for this thread:

Introverts: Why on earth wouldn't you live alone OP?
Extroverts: But he'd be lonely!

Introverts: ..........why?
I actually find it to be quite the opposite. I'm a pretty introverted individual, and I like having people around because then I don't have to go so much out of my way to reach out to anyone. I think if I were living alone I'd be too prone to almost never seeing other people outside of mandatory class and the occasional social event. On the flip side, I know very outgoing people that like living alone because they socialize more than enough regardless, so they like having that little bit of time to themselves when they are at home (which they aren't nearly as much).

Reactions: 3 users
Everyone talks about sharing bedrooms/bathrooms, but what about sharing a kitchen? That would suck.

I think that's always the case with roommates, unless you live in an apartment with more than 1 kitchen.

LOL! Med student roommates on bunk beds.

It could happen. Honestly a decent amount of my classmates are less mature than the average college student, I bet they'd be down for it.

I actually find it to be quite the opposite. I'm a pretty introverted individual, and I like having people around because then I don't have to go so much out of my way to reach out to anyone. I think if I were living alone I'd be too prone to almost never seeing other people outside of mandatory class and the occasional social event. On the flip side, I know very outgoing people that like living alone because they socialize more than enough regardless, so they like having that little bit of time to themselves when they are at home (which they aren't nearly as much).

I didn't really mean for the comment to be taken seriously :)

But I can see that situation working out. Having said that though, I think we may be working off of different definitions for the term introvert. When I say introvert, I mean someone who finds being around other people draining. They need to be by themselves to relax/recharge.

When I say extrovert, I mean someone who is energized by the presence of other people.

Introverts can still have great social skills (I like to think I do), and enjoy other people. It's just tiring to be around theme. Extroverts can still enjoy alone time, they just need to be around people a certain amount. A person can also be an awkward extrovert, who feels the need to be around others and unwind.

Honestly though, I don't put a whole lot of stock in the terms, and I'm especially doubtful of my own ability to assess myself. Further, I doubt that anyone falls completely under either end of the spectrum :)

Well, I may say "It's deepens"
During my first year of medical life, I lived with my fellow medical student...we happened to be in same year (1) same group. He actually claims he's a very lazy type who doesn't seems to have performed any primary duty in his home because of the likes of house attendant.
He'd never flush the toilet, hardly taken his bath in fact it was a disaster. I try to overlooked the whole scenario after my repeated attempt of bringing him back to his senses proved abortive. So I decided to move on with my life and conclude on staying alone.