Prospect of US practice in NSG if residency completed in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bearintraining

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have the very real prospect of choosing between a Canadian university for a MD degree and the US. There are pros and cons to each, but ultimately it seems that wherever I go for the MD degree, will likely determine where I do my residency.

As an older student with a PhD on a neuro topic, I'm very interested in pursuing a neurosurgical career. My question is, how difficult/challenging would it be to move to the US to practice neurosurgery after completing residency training in Canada? My understanding is that currently ABNS certification is not possible due to the differences in the training programs (e.g., 6 vs 7 years). Would it still be possible to practice in the US regardless?

Although I suspect it would be a challenge - any comments on doing a Canadian MD followed by a US residency (difficulty in obtaining a spot, etc.) in NSG, would be helpful also.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all

I have the very real prospect of choosing between a Canadian university for a MD degree and the US. There are pros and cons to each, but ultimately it seems that wherever I go for the MD degree, will likely determine where I do my residency.

As an older student with a PhD on a neuro topic, I'm very interested in pursuing a neurosurgical career. My question is, how difficult/challenging would it be to move to the US to practice neurosurgery after completing residency training in Canada? My understanding is that currently ABNS certification is not possible due to the differences in the training programs (e.g., 6 vs 7 years). Would it still be possible to practice in the US regardless?

Although I suspect it would be a challenge - any comments on doing a Canadian MD followed by a US residency (difficulty in obtaining a spot, etc.) in NSG, would be helpful also.

Thank you!

Interesting question. I can look in to it further, if you'd like, PM me.

The long and short of it is that previously, ABNS had seen Canadian training as equivalent. Sometime in the last 20 years, they made a paradigm change such that they only accept training at an accredited US program.

Can you practice in the US if you train in Canada? Yes. However, it is more difficult. A doctor trained anywhere in the world can gain a license to practice medicine in the US. Having a hospital grant privileges, however, is another thing. Canadians tend to get privileges, but those from other countries tend not to.

In my, albeit limited, experience, your best bet would be to get your education and training wherever you happen to, come to the US for fellowship, then if you'd like to stay it is more feasible.

Interesting question. I can look in to it further, if you'd like, PM me.

The long and short of it is that previously, ABNS had seen Canadian training as equivalent. Sometime in the last 20 years, they made a paradigm change such that they only accept training at an accredited US program.

Can you practice in the US if you train in Canada? Yes. However, it is more difficult. A doctor trained anywhere in the world can gain a license to practice medicine in the US. Having a hospital grant privileges, however, is another thing. Canadians tend to get privileges, but those from other countries tend not to.

In my, albeit limited, experience, your best bet would be to get your education and training wherever you happen to, come to the US for fellowship, then if you'd like to stay it is more feasible.

Thank you for the feedback @neusu. I definitely would like to keep my options open as much as possible, particularly because neurosurgery job outlook in Canada isn't great right now.

Am I correct in understanding that a U.S. fellowship may then allow ABNS certification ? Also, I don't know if my particular situation may be different, but I do have a PhD in Neuro-related research (although it's officially in Medical Genetics), which I may get some credit for, but then there's still the AGME-accredited program requirement.

Anyhow, yes -- I will PM. would greatly appreciate any additional information (or who to talk to).

Members don't see this ad :)
Physiatrist here so definitely not sure about neurosurgery training in either country. Having said that, the neurosurgery spine fellow where I did residency did his residency at UBC in Vancouver, was doing his fellowship at Rush in Chicago, and got a job somewhere in Nebraska so I'd imagine it's possible.

best to train in the US if that's where you want to practice. you don't need any unnecessary hurdles.