PhD/PsyD Prospective Forensic Psychology Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toomuchtv28

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Brand new to the forum and actually here on behalf of my wife. She is seriously considering going to grad school for forensic psychology. Looking for any suggestions as far as how she can explore what the career entails before committing to grad school. Obviously, talk to as many people as possible....but is there a best way to go about finding these people? Pscyhology communities? Internships? Somewhere she can shadow?
We're located in the state of California.

Perhaps it just takes the mandatory legwork and research of tracking people down but I figured it was worth a shot to try posting on here as well.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations/suggestions!

Dan

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like a backward strategy. How/why is she interested in it if she doesn't know what the job duties are?

What does she want to do for a living on a day to day basis?

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
Cali does have alot of criminals though.

As my Forensic Psychology professor said, "Being a Forensic Psychologist is nothing like what's presented in the media."

Like it has been mentioned, she should have a background and understanding of the field before even considering making a commitment. I understand that's why she (well, you) is asking, but a forum is not even close to understanding the field.

Also, this doesn't answer your question, but I know Alliant had a Forensic doctorate program, but it looks like they closed up shop this year.

As my Forensic Psychology professor said, "Being a Forensic Psychologist is nothing like what's presented in the media."

Like it has been mentioned, she should have a background and understanding of the field before even considering making a commitment. I understand that's why she (well, you) is asking, but a forum is not even close to understanding the field.

Also, this doesn't answer your question, but I know Alliant had a Forensic doctorate program, but it looks like they closed up shop this year.

Somone one told me that that school has a psyd in clincial with a forensic concentration AND psyd in forensic psychology. What the French, Toast? Whats the difference? I smell marketing!

Appreciate all the feedback so far. She's a paralegal right now and she's done some research on the career. I don't think she watched law and order and goes, ooh i wanna be that! Also, I don't expect to get all the knowledge I need strictly from a forum (or this forum). It was looking for the opportunity to get some feedback opinions as well as direction for where and how to obtain an understanding of the field. Thanks again.

Somone one told me that that school has a psyd in clincial with a forensic concentration AND psyd in forensic psychology. What the French, Toast? Whats the difference? I smell marketing!

They apparently do (or did), but they were offered from different schools within Alliant. There were probably differences in curriculum, but they are obviously trying to market to everyone one way or another.

Appreciate all the feedback so far. She's a paralegal right now and she's done some research on the career. I don't think she watched law and order and goes, ooh i wanna be that! Also, I don't expect to get all the knowledge I need strictly from a forum (or this forum). It was looking for the opportunity to get some feedback opinions as well as direction for where and how to obtain an understanding of the field. Thanks again.

Your best will be to contact a Forensic Psychologist directly. Though it might be easier to get in touch with a forensic psychology professor.

They also have a forensic psychology "concentration" program at PAU (California).

I still dont know what she wants to do....

When I was an undergrad I found this video helpful

*edited in an unsuccessful attempt to UN-embed the video