prosth hopeful with a few questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smileafficianado

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and had a few questions I wonder if anyone could answer. I'm interested in applying to a prosth residency. Why? Because I love it, I love the details involved and the field itself. Obviously its not driven by money. I've been a dentist for about 5 years now, having graduated in 2010 with below average grades/stats. I then entered a GPR in the Navy and will have served in the Navy for about 5 years, getting out this summer. I'm interested in applying to as many programs as possible and am willing to go anywhere. It hasn't been an easy decision, as I kind of what to explore private practice as a general dentist but figured why not try and follow my dreams so to speak and go ahead and apply. Things I have going for me: experience, GPR, military service, volunteering, letters of reccomendation. Things that aren't so hot: grades, boards (average). I know I could have had higher grades if I applied myself more back in dental school - but thats a whole other topic. So basically I'd like to ask what can make me as strong a candidate as possible? Do I have a shot? Does anyone know programs that give more preference to those with experience? Thank you all for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Long answer short: yes, you have a shot.
2. All what you have listed as "pros": can really help you both in the application process, as well as in the programs that you choose. More so than you know.
3. All what you have listed as "cons": there's nothing that you can do about it at this point. Try and focus your experience w/ prosthodontics. For example, try and look for prosth externships. I know lots of programs (including my own) that offer 1 or 2-week externships where you hang out in the residency and experience a typical workflow and workweek.

This'll not only help you get a better appreciation for what you're getting into, but it might also help get your name in with programs. I know lots of programs really like to see their applicants go through one (or some) of these. It just shows that you know exactly what you're getting into :) But since you've already gone through a GPR, I'm sure that you're well aware of the process.

Hope that helps.

Thanks! I will seek out externships. I thought these were mainly only for third and fourth year dental students. Do you know if it is getting more competitive these days for prosth?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I will seek out externships. I thought these were mainly only for third and fourth year dental students. Do you know if it is getting more competitive these days for prosth?
You could argue this both ways.
But, based on my own personal experience... Idk if it's getting more competitive in terms of minimum requirements, but the quality of applicants is getting stronger and stronger every year. With the type of stuff prosthodontists are doing nowadays, it requires that an applicant have a greater understanding of the "bigger picture"--if that makes sense. Lots of programs are doing a lot more surgery, digital dentistry, interdisciplinary work, etc. So, an understanding of all these scopes (and preferably competence in all the above) would not only help your application, but i think it'd also help your overall experience while you're in a prosth program.

Good stuff, thanks for the info! I'll be applying this cycle and hope to stay tuned to this site for more advice.

Good stuff, thanks for the info! I'll be applying this cycle and hope to stay tuned to this site for more advice.

Sure--It's no problem! Best of luck with the whole application :) let me know if I can help