Provisional Admit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melmu001

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me what does "Provisional Admit" means according to UCSF School of dentistry webpage?

Members don't see this ad.

If you gpa is 2.8 overall and your science gpa is 2.9, but the UCSF minimum gpa for non-CA residents are 3.0, does that mean you could be accepted to their dental school except that you will be considered a "Provisional Admit" student meaning that you have to take as many classes to make you gpa to a 3.0?

If you gpa is 2.8 overall and your science gpa is 2.9, but the UCSF minimum gpa for non-CA residents are 3.0, does that mean you could be accepted to their dental school except that you will be considered a "Provisional Admit" student meaning that you have to take as many classes to make you gpa to a 3.0?

No, it doesn't work like that and chances aren't on your side to even get an interview with those stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, it doesn't work like that and chances aren't on your side to even get an interview with those stats.
I contacted the UCSF Dean of Admission and this is what they told me:
Your DAT scores meet our minimum requirement; however your GPA does not. If you will apply or are currently an applicant you will be placed in our pre-screening review which determines if we warrant an exception to the minimum requirements to receive a supplemental application to enter the review process for consideration. The rest depends on the review by the admissions committee and an interview and admittance cannot be determined just by your academics through an e-mail. The process is thorough and many factors of the application are taken into consideration for possibility of interview/admittance into the program.
Can you tell me what these statement means?

I contacted the UCSF Dean of Admission and this is what they told me:
Your DAT scores meet our minimum requirement; however your GPA does not. If you will apply or are currently an applicant you will be placed in our pre-screening review which determines if we warrant an exception to the minimum requirements to receive a supplemental application to enter the review process for consideration. The rest depends on the review by the admissions committee and an interview and admittance cannot be determined just by your academics through an e-mail. The process is thorough and many factors of the application are taken into consideration for possibility of interview/admittance into the program.
Can you tell me what these statement means?

It means you may not even get a supplement because you don't meet the requirements unless you have some extraordinary circumstances.

Last edited: