Proximity to School vs. Rent...Your Preference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aarlan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

For those already in Opt School, and those making preparations to begin, which would you recommend in terms of renting? Being close to school and paying more (walking distance), or paying less, but having to take pub trans?

AA

Members don't see this ad.

I live fairly close to my school, and I am glad I do. I would think you'd get sick of making a long commute after a while. Walking distance is a plus if it's not a ton of more $$ to live there.

leelee said:
I live fairly close to my school, and I am glad I do. I would think you'd get sick of making a long commute after a while. Walking distance is a plus if it's not a ton of more $$ to live there.
What school do you attend?

AA

Members don't see this ad :)
aarlan said:
Hello All,

For those already in Opt School, and those making preparations to begin, which would you recommend in terms of renting? Being close to school and paying more (walking distance), or paying less, but having to take pub trans?

AA
I commute (train) an hour one way to work right now. When I was working on my masters, it was awesome...built in study time. Now I am done and it sucks!! Obviously, though, lack of study material shouldn't be an issue.

Now, having said that, live close if you can. There is something to be said about the mental drain it causes, even if you would just be studying in your bedroom. In addition, the is a certain lack of control you give up when you are dependent on something else to get you to class.

Besides, it saves you from doing something really stupid (see attached).

Attachments

• train accident.JPG
    train accident.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 97
Besides, it saves you from doing something really stupid (see attached)..[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Is that your foot? What happened?

swiftiii said:
Now, having said that, live close if you can.

How close? I am looking at a few places that are not w/in walking distance30but only 10-15 on the T. Walking distance seems to add $200-300 to the monthly rent.
I certainly wouldn't want to commute 1 hr plus unless I was living there for peanuts.

AA

smith351 said:
Besides, it saves you from doing something really stupid (see attached)..[/COLOR]

Is that your foot? What happened?[/QUOTE]
Yes that was my foot. I suffered a severe sprain while I was running to get my train.

I spent the entire month of February on crutches...and had to add an extra 20 min to my commute to give myself enough time to hobble to the station :p

aarlan said:
How close? I am looking at a few places that are not w/in walking distance30but only 10-15 on the T. Walking distance seems to add $200-300 to the monthly rent.
I certainly wouldn't want to commute 1 hr plus unless I was living there for peanuts.

AA

10-15min for $200-300, definitely. I stayed with some girls who were going to NECO and their place was even further. But it was cool. And they saved a ton of money, didn't live in such a shady area, and overall had a better place. Plus it gives you a little time to unwind before you have to hit the books again. Besides, I don't know about most people, but I have never lived less than 15 min from a campus. Like you though, I got it in my head that I needed to live close. And I'll be paying for it. However, I don't have the option of mass transportation, which I would gladly consider if I had a choice and the price was significant.

i go to neco and in my opinion you should live as close to the school as possible despite the cost. however you can always try it out for the first year and then move if you feel that you can't do it.

If you don't mind my asking, how far away do you live, and how much do you pay in rent (plus utilities). I was looking at a place in Dorchester off the Red line. The place inside was unbelievably nice, but the neighborhood was not so great, and it was a 12 minute walk to the Red Line (JFK). That would translate into a 45-50 minutes every day I would guess (10 min to T, 18 on the Red, 10 on the green and 10 min to school from Hynes). A few of the places are around 650-750 with a few roomates.
I was under the impression that a place w/in walking dist. was going to be 1000+ including utilities for anything larger than a closet.

AA