PRS LOR for Gen Surg Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedStar1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

If applying to integrated PRS and gen surg programs, should I use the strong letters of recommendation I have from plastic surgeons for the GS applications? Or do the GS programs prefer the LOR to be from general surgeons? Any input is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

If applying to integrated PRS and gen surg programs, should I use the strong letters of recommendation I have from plastic surgeons for the GS applications? Or do the GS programs prefer the LOR to be from general surgeons? Any input is much appreciated!
You have to be careful with subspecialty letters. There is a good chance that a letter from PRS will trigger suspicion that you are also applying for an Integrated PRS and are using GS as backup. That will reflect negatively on your application at GS programs.

You have to be careful with subspecialty letters. There is a good chance that a letter from PRS will trigger suspicion that you are also applying for an Integrated PRS and are using GS as backup. That will reflect negatively on your application at GS programs.

Agree but if for some reason you can't get enough letters from GS before applying (doing too many aways or whatever the case may be) when it comes up you should just be honest. We ranked someone who double applied to match but she landed a PRS spot.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree but if for some reason you can't get enough letters from GS before applying (doing too many aways or whatever the case may be) when it comes up you should just be honest. We ranked someone who double applied to match but she landed a PRS spot.
Absolutely the OP should be honest. Nothing more fun than catching someone in a lie; the PRS and GS worlds are small.

Thanks for the responses. Would letters from a Colorectal Surgeon, Trauma Surgeon, and/or a Vascular Surgeon hold as much water as a letter from a GS or are these looked upon less favorably?

Thanks for the responses. Would letters from a Colorectal Surgeon, Trauma Surgeon, and/or a Vascular Surgeon hold as much water as a letter from a GS or are these looked upon less favorably?
Since Trauma and Colorectal don't have integrated residencies I would think that the concern that GS programs might have about you applying as a backup won't be an issue, so they should be fine. The matched students at my school recommend that we rotate with some of our trauma surgeons and get letters from them as they are apparently well known on the interview trail.

Reactions: 1 users