PS advice from other kids not naturally good at math

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedSox143

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Calling on those who aren't naturally good with math and numbers, on all my practice tests physical sciences is the one I can't break 9 on I never get lower or higher and I rarely finish the section. I finish and do well on the other two sections.

SO I'm not looking for advice from kids who are good at math naturally. Cuz I'm not and it slows me down. I got As in all my chem and physics classes and understand all the content but I can't solve the problems in the allotted time if they're math based. So someone who scores at least 10 on PS and isn't naturally gifted in math please help me!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to know too. I've been around 9 on PS too and for calc heavy ones, I barely finish on time.

Just do more practice.

Also, if you do TBR and learn some "tricks" (shortcuts), you can cut down the amount of time it takes to do questions.

The math on the MCAT won't be that hard if you know scientific notation. 'm not a math wizard but I found the math to be definitely doable.

Math is definitely one of my weaker subjects. Starting out studying for the test I had a lot of trouble with scientific notation and powers, but as justadream said, practicing it constantly was the best way. It doesn't have to be questions straight from the MCAT tests or practice books. If you have problems with limiting reagent problems like I did, just google "limiting reagent problems" and work some of the ones that are on the various websites. Just keep on focusing on your weak points to make them not so weak anymore.

If you know what the question is asking and thus know your formulas well enough, you can quickly start working on stuff. Also make sure to round if possible, it really does help since usually most of the answer choices aren't so close to each other (there are exceptions to this though), so just round 36.5 to 37 or even 40, making note of which direction you rounded so that your calculated answer will be a little higher than the actual answer.

I get a 10 usually and I'm not gifted in math. I don't do that rounding stuff either. Most of the questions, I think "what would happen in real life?" Such as, they're asking which of the following is different between a ball thrown up vs. thrown at a 60° angle. I imagine what would happen if I did it in real life.

I barely spend time doing calculations, unless it's a pure calc. question.

A lot of the time you can look at the tables and graphs and figure out that your answer should be between X and Y and see which answer falls in between those ranges.