PS error after submission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woodhorse22

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
On the PS, will a small grammatical error and a wrong selection of a word put me in danger of elimination by medical schools? I already submitted my AMCAS, so I know that it is too late to do anything, but please post anyway. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want a personal opinion (basically a bump for this thread), I think that would be ridiculous. I'm sure they will look at your application for what it's worth. Why worry over it? Just be confident in the strength of what you've written and what you've done.

I mean...do you personally want to attend a medical school that eliminates on a grammatical error?

I've heard different things about this, but it's all rumors and speculation. On the one hand, your AMCAS application is one of the most important documents you'll ever turn in, so it should be free of errors. On the other hand, it seems a little extreme for a school to reject an applicant outright because of a small mistake. I guess it might depend on the school and on who happens to be looking over your application that day. Who knows?

I've heard different things about this, but it's all rumors and speculation. On the one hand, your AMCAS application is one of the most important documents you'll ever turn in, so it should be free of errors. On the other hand, it seems a little extreme for a school to reject an applicant outright because of a small mistake. I guess it might depend on the school and on who happens to be looking over your application that day. Who knows?

Punctual mistakes are one problem, word choice is another.

For example, I was originally going to have this line in my PS: "Doctors should not rush to finish cases but labor to understand individuals and treat them humanely"

I didn't even catch it but this is actually doctor bashing because it implies that I DO know doctors that do this, which is FAR from what I was trying to say. It would really tick off an adcom who hold the medical profession so dear to their hearts.

Word choice is a real bitch, but don't worry too much about it. Your app is submitted, time to move on!