PS: mention being reapplicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoosier17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am reapplying, but I only applied to one school last year (1. I know is dumb 2. Am currently wait listed on) and am working on my new PS. I spoke with the admissions committee at the school I am wait listed on and they said the major reason was that I applied too late (which was November, everything else was great they said, research, clinical hours, volunteering, GPA, etc. Only knock is my MCAT could be a bit higher)

My questions is, how should I approach mentioning that I am a reapplicant? Should I mention it at all if I applied to only one school last year? I obviously can't say on my application that I've learned from my mistakes and am applying early this time but I also don't want to only mention that I'll be working on my MCAT. I also can't ream off a bunch of improvements because I only have a handful and they are relative to what I was told was an already good application and that will emphasize a lack of improvement in an area that wasn't necessarily a weakness in the first place (again, based off of what I was told).

Whether I ignore it, emphasize it, or generally mention it I feel like it is going to weaken my application. But then again I could definitely be wrong. Let me know what you guys think!

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you need to mention it? The PS is about you as a person, your passions, your interests. Who cares that you are re-applying? Most people don't get in the first time anyway.

I wouldn't mention it in your PS unless it's something that goes along the message you're trying to send in your PS. Schools first of all will know if you are a reapplicant and if they really care, they will ask you during the interview. Plus, something I did was explain the improvements I made in the "Is there any additional information you would like to provide?" section of the secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't mention it. The only school that knows you are a reapplicant is the one school you applied to last year. You are not a reapplicant at new schools this cycle and the new schools won't know you applied last year.

No, do not mention it