About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

PS: mention being reapplicant?

Discussion in 'Re-Applicants [ MD / DO ]' started by hoosier17, May 25, 2012.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. hoosier17

hoosier17

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hi all,

I am reapplying, but I only applied to one school last year (1. I know is dumb 2. Am currently wait listed on) and am working on my new PS. I spoke with the admissions committee at the school I am wait listed on and they said the major reason was that I applied too late (which was November, everything else was great they said, research, clinical hours, volunteering, GPA, etc. Only knock is my MCAT could be a bit higher)

My questions is, how should I approach mentioning that I am a reapplicant? Should I mention it at all if I applied to only one school last year? I obviously can't say on my application that I've learned from my mistakes and am applying early this time but I also don't want to only mention that I'll be working on my MCAT. I also can't ream off a bunch of improvements because I only have a handful and they are relative to what I was told was an already good application and that will emphasize a lack of improvement in an area that wasn't necessarily a weakness in the first place (again, based off of what I was told).

Whether I ignore it, emphasize it, or generally mention it I feel like it is going to weaken my application. But then again I could definitely be wrong. Let me know what you guys think!
  2. cabinbuilder

cabinbuilder

Attending Physician
    Physician SDN 7+ Year Member
    Why do you need to mention it? The PS is about you as a person, your passions, your interests. Who cares that you are re-applying? Most people don't get in the first time anyway.
  3. robertch8

robertch8

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I wouldn't mention it in your PS unless it's something that goes along the message you're trying to send in your PS. Schools first of all will know if you are a reapplicant and if they really care, they will ask you during the interview. Plus, something I did was explain the improvements I made in the "Is there any additional information you would like to provide?" section of the secondary.
  4. Helen Wheels

Helen Wheels OMS-3

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I wouldn't mention it. The only school that knows you are a reapplicant is the one school you applied to last year. You are not a reapplicant at new schools this cycle and the new schools won't know you applied last year.
  5. Prncssbuttercup

Prncssbuttercup Established Member -- OMSII

Where ever I am, I wish I was in Breckenridge CO
    Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    No, do not mention it