PSA: Google yourself

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yoyo1815

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone..

Throwaway account here, I'm an applicant applying this cycle. I just wanted to simply remind everyone that it is always a good idea to google yourself and to make sure that nothing unprofessional shows up during the admissions cycle.

Yesterday, I had one heck of an afternoon. I rarely, if ever, use social media, and have no inappropriate content whatsoever online. Well, yesterday, my boss at my job called me in to ask if I had googled myself recently. I told her, well yeah, I occasionally do so just to make sure nothing bad shows up, it had been a little while though, I didn't think much of it. Well, sure enough, she googled my name, and the 6th result down, someone who I had NEVER met before, and is clearly some type of SPAMMER/SLANDERER, had a tweet with a quote using MY NAME (an uncommon name at that) saying something completely inappropriate and highly expletive!!

I was shocked, I DON'T EVEN USE TWITTER! I didn't do anything in this situation, literally nothing. And yet, if you googled my first and last name, a quote showed up that made me out to be a huge SEXIST! If any adcoms googled me, I'd be screwed, even though this is pretty obviously NOT ME...I basically freaked out, spent all afternoon trying to figure out how to get it taken down from Google, and finally, as of this morning, it doesn't show up anymore on google. WHEW, it was quite a process to get it removed though.

I'm using this as a PSA to you all: Google yourself, just to be safe. I was innocent;I don't use social media, am a very tame, young professional, just like most of you. Yet, this still happened. I couldn't believe it. Of course, being my neurotic self, I was thinking how my med school chances were over, because some other terrible person happened to draw my lucky name out of the hat. I am still paranoid that adcoms might have seen it, explaining why I only have 1 interview

I can only hope the schools I applied to didn't see this. Like I mentioned, I do already have interview for next week, so I am assuming I will be alright, but wow am I going to make sure to check up on this more often. I hope you all do the same, especially during the app cycle.

Best of luck to you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Ah the glory of having both a common first and last name. Literally none of the google results are me. Good or bad.

Reactions: 5 users
I have a unique first and last name. My father sort of penned his own last name to create a sort of special legacy name. Surprised that since the last month I have two new added hits. Namely my YouTube channel came up with Goljan, Khan Academy, and a comedy skit piece called "The Lab." While my Venmo account came up with my past three payments using their service. One of which was an MCAT book.

Google me please.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ah the glory of having both a common first and last name. Literally none of the google results are me. Good or bad.

Same. I have a super common Jewish name, and all the results are lawyers, doctors, accountants, and movie producers. So much for stereotypes not being true. :rolleyes:

I have a unique first and last name. My father sort of penned his own last name to create a sort of special legacy name. Surprised that since the last month I have two new added hits. Namely my YouTube channel came up with Goljan, Khan Academy, and a comedy skit piece called "The Lab." While my Venmo account came up with my past three payments using their service. One of which was an MCAT book.

Google me please.

Adcom googles 'Sardinia'

This appears:
Sardinia---Overview---CALA-GOLORITZE',-OGLIASTRA-REGION-xlarge.jpg

... Accepted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Just Google myself and I have a Facebook post from many years ago saying "I like socks". That's it. Just that....i don't even..

Reactions: 2 users
How did you manage to get it removed from Google?

Reactions: 1 users
I share a unique name with a very famous supermodel. So if anyone asks, that's me!

Reactions: 4 users
Luckily, my name is Don Trumps so I have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm lucky that my search results are innocuous, but I do share a name with a character from an old tv show and an author who appears to write trashy romance novels.

To remove it, I had to get it taken down on Twitter, which was a pain in itself. I could either contact this person directly (which was sketchy in case they started posting more) or file a report with Twitter. After Twitter deleted the post, I had to put in a request with Google to get it removed from the search results, which took about 12 hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
My name is very common, so googling me results in hundreds of Facebook accounts lol

However, the 4th search down shows a link to my most popular art work that I pinned on pinterest. Also, googling my entire name, including my middle name, it provides a link to my fundraising page. Both of these are fine with me!

Sent from my A0001 using SDN mobile

Last edited:
The only thing that comes up are my LinkedIn profile, professional societies I'm part of, then a bunch of publications out of my dad's lab, and my Instagram. My Facebook doesn't show up lol

I googled myself before I started college. Then I decided to delete almost everything. Got rid of useless Twitter, Instagram. Waiting for application season then removing Facebook. I'm also going to try and remove my soundcloud.

... I thought my name was rare.
First thing that came up- it's MD living in Orange County.
Then I wrote my name with "MD" at the end. Holy. Cow. So. Many. Doctors.

Same problem (solution?). I'm pretty sure I have the same name as at least a million other people. Not even exaggerating.

Same problem (solution?). I'm pretty sure I have the same name as at least a million other people. Not even exaggerating.

I cannot think of a more common name than mine lol. At my wedding my friends laughed that I was becoming an alias

I HOPE they find my Instagram. That ****'s on point yo

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Lot of stuff that wasn't me...my Twitter and Instagram, my grandmother's obit, and one time I did well in a large magic tournament and got a write up about my deck.

Does anyone know if we could change the order of the sites that come up in the google searches? Not completely get rid of the page but to make sure it's not on the first page of results?

Last edited:
Reads post. Opens another tab and googles name. Several publications and awards from undergrad pops up. Smirks like a boss. Turns on tv to Adventure Time and types this post.

Reactions: 1 users
Lets say hypothetically I have a "friend" who's mug shot shows up. Can I, I mean my friend, get this taken down? Asking for a friend

Lets say hypothetically I have a "friend" who's mug shot shows up. Can I, I mean my friend, get this taken down? Asking for a friend

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: 4 users
My name only came up in a old Seinfeld episode . My initials are B.N